Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Official Middle Aged Fitness/Fatness/Lifting Thread

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,838
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Do kegels count?

We don’t deserve you.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,529
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Do kegels count?

Mrs. Lebam got concerned I was lafffing so hard
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    LebamDawg said:

Do kegels count?

Leak any pee?
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,529
    Swaye's Wigwam

LebamDawg said:

Do kegels count?

Leak any pee?
    I'm old but not that old
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,059
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Do kegels count?

This is really unfair to do to me while I am on another continent. For retribution, I am gluing myself to your front door when I get home. Don't tell anyone.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

Tomorrow is Blackjack Thursday. Start with the incline bench flat, do a set of ten dumbbell presses, the a dumbbell row for each arm. Click the incline bench up a notch, repeat. Keep clicking bench up, then down, until you've done it 21 times.

Full body circuit every day, then add something extra on top of it. One day is weighted dips and pull-ups, one day legs, one day blackjack.

Damn you and your ample free time life style.
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

BearsWiin said:

Tomorrow is Blackjack Thursday. Start with the incline bench flat, do a set of ten dumbbell presses, the a dumbbell row for each arm. Click the incline bench up a notch, repeat. Keep clicking bench up, then down, until you've done it 21 times.

Full body circuit every day, then add something extra on top of it. One day is weighted dips and pull-ups, one day legs, one day blackjack.

Four hours of heavy lifting today. Tired. Very tired.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

I skied four hours of powder and crud the AM at Mt Bachelor. I too am tired.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

I was there last weekend. 48” in 48 hours.

This weekend it’s Steamboat which is getting dumped on too. Ts and Ps for my knees.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Run a Push/Pull/Leg split. Typically rotate compound movements. For push days press, bench press, weighted dips, occasional incline dumbell bench. Pull days are barbell rows, weighted pull ups, and traditional dead lifts. Leg days squats, front squats, hex bar dead lift, sumo dead lift... typically 1 squat and 1 hip hinge. Usually 2 compounds lifts per workout, depending on time maybe do 5-10 sets of various bro lifts like lat pull downs, cable rows, cable flys, hack squat, leg press etc.

Fuck cardio.

We need all need a lil bit of cardio + lifting heavy stuff.
    Swaye's Wigwam

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

I was there last weekend. 48” in 48 hours.

This weekend it’s Steamboat which is getting dumped on too. Ts and Ps for my knees.
    Hopefully the stoked bros gave you the right wax.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    For all my bros that do the rowing machine, do this: 500 meter sprint, get off and do20 kettle bell squats, 10 push ups, 1 min rest. Repeat 5 times. You will get fit in a hurry.
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,550
    Standard Supporter

Swaye said:

LOL lifting. I do Crossfit bruh.

You know how I know you don't crossfit bruh? You would have already told us even though we weren't talking about fitness.
    Truest statement I may ever read on HH. LOL.
  • USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Run a Push/Pull/Leg split. Typically rotate compound movements. For push days press, bench press, weighted dips, occasional incline dumbell bench. Pull days are barbell rows, weighted pull ups, and traditional dead lifts. Leg days squats, front squats, hex bar dead lift, sumo dead lift... typically 1 squat and 1 hip hinge. Usually 2 compounds lifts per workout, depending on time maybe do 5-10 sets of various bro lifts like lat pull downs, cable rows, cable flys, hack squat, leg press etc.

Fuck cardio.

I fucking loved weighted dips but they caused me to get weightlifter’s shoulder (the end of the collarbone starts fracturing) and I had to give them up. Now I only do exercises that have a natural motion and have to be cautious about straining my tendons and/or ligaments. My cautionary tale is that any exercise that’s slightly painful in your 20’s will be significant in your 50’s.
  • Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,942
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

For all my bros that do the rowing machine, do this: 500 meter sprint, get off and do20 kettle bell squats, 10 push ups, 1 min rest. Repeat 5 times. You will get fit in a hurry.

That’s gonna be a no from me dawg.

I recently ran 5 miles then decided to hop on the Erg after I rested a bit and bang out a 2k to see if I still got it. I almost died and did not finish.

Your workout sounds tuff. Maybe next year.
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Fuck cardio.

How heavy for your weighted dips/pullups? I do 20lb. increments up to 60
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,262
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Goals:
    1 Stay not fat while also being able to drink and eat what I want
    2 Stay not injured
    3 Stay flexible
    4 Maintain/improve speed & endurance
    5 Maintain/improve strength

I like to run outside so focus on that first. I have a weight bench in my basement and use that a lot to knock out lifting when I can't run due to time or whatever, and work in basic single compound lifts with squats and lunges. I rarely focus on heavy lifts (aim for 8x-12x reps) because I don't really want bulk. I wish I had the time and money to do yoga so just try to stretch as much as I can.

In the gym rowing is the best for fitness (and great for not getting injured) but sometimes multi-tasking necessitates the stationary bike or stairmaster as it keeps me not fat well enough. Being able to crank through emails while at least burning calories is always an effective use of time.

These days I am missing the explosive plyometric exercises other than rowing or doing interval runs. I need more of that but it's tough to motivate. I also end up playing a decent amount of tennis to support my kid who is good and needs the reps. All of that keeps me mostly not fat but I'm a long way from my past peak fitness of rowing or running 7:35/mile half marathons and sub 7/mile 5Ks.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

Goals:
    1 Stay not fat while also being able to drink and eat what I want
    2 Stay not injured
    3 Stay flexible
    4 Maintain/improve speed & endurance
    5 Maintain/improve strength

I like to run outside so focus on that first. I have a weight bench in my basement and use that a lot to knock out lifting when I can't run due to time or whatever, and work in basic single compound lifts with squats and lunges. I rarely focus on heavy lifts (aim for 8x-12x reps) because I don't really want bulk. I wish I had the time and money to do yoga so just try to stretch as much as I can.

In the gym rowing is the best for fitness (and great for not getting injured) but sometimes multi-tasking necessitates the stationary bike or stairmaster as it keeps me not fat well enough. Being able to crank through emails while at least burning calories is always an effective use of time.

These days I am missing the explosive plyometric exercises other than rowing or doing interval runs. I need more of that but it's tough to motivate. I also end up playing a decent amount of tennis to support my kid who is good and needs the reps. All of that keeps me mostly not fat but I'm a long way from my past peak fitness of rowing or running 7:35/mile half marathons and sub 7/mile 5Ks.

This guy gets it.