Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Jaden McDaniels is draft eligible?!?

Comments

• theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,555
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I had a feeling that Zion blowing out his shoe/knee would lead to something pretty quickly. Kid is probably one of the ten most important basketball players in the world and he hurt himself in a Duke game. Let kids like him go get paid, let the others that want to bypass college make a modest living in the d league and the rest commit to play three years of college ball before turning pro. Everyone eats.
  • SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,793
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Hurts Trump Calipari IMO
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I had a feeling that Zion blowing out his shoe/knee would lead to something pretty quickly. Kid is probably one of the ten most important basketball players in the world and he hurt himself in a Duke game. Let kids like him go get paid, let the others that want to bypass college make a modest living in the d league and the rest commit to play three years of college ball before turning pro. Everyone eats.

I doubt the NBA would implement the three year rule. Or at least I hope not, since that would just further persuade kids to bypass college ball altogether. The Dejounte Murrays of the league who don’t have huge NBA prospects out of high school but emerge in their freshman year should still have the option to immediately capitalize on that. Reduce but don’t eliminate one-and-dones.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

I doubt the NBA would implement the three year rule. Or at least I hope not, since that would just further persuade kids to bypass college ball altogether. The Dejounte Murrays of the league who don’t have huge NBA prospects out of high school but emerge in their freshman year should still have the option to immediately capitalize on that. Reduce but don’t eliminate one-and-dones.
    I agree
  • rustysavagerustysavage Member Posts: 942
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Zion has 28 million worth of insurance that Duke pays for
  • DomicilloDomicillo Member Posts: 3,025
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited February 2019

There's no way they can do a three year mandate in basketball. It's the one sport that's proven to have a significant enough number of kids ready to play and contribute immediately on a yearly basis. It works for baseball because there is no chance an 18 year pops into the majors immediately, so kids decide to take an investment in college in hopes that they can develop enough to sped up their grind to the majors on the backend. It works in football, because 99.99% of kids aren't physically developed enough to immediately go from homecoming court to the NFL. There isn't the same incentive to mandate three years in college in basketball. Are there kids who benefit every year from going to college, sure, but its not to the point where college basketball is developing more 3 or 4 year college players who turn into NBA starters than one-an-done kids who become starters.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Domicillo said:

There's no way they can do a three year mandate in basketball. It's the one sport that's proven to have a significant enough number of kids ready to play and contribute immediately on a yearly basis. It works for baseball because there is no chance an 18 year pops into the majors immediately, so kids decide to take an investment in college in hopes that they can develop enough to sped up their grind to the majors on the backend. It works in football, because 99.99% of kids aren't physically developed enough to immediately go from homecoming court to the NFL. There isn't the same incentive to mandate three years in college in basketball. Are there kids who benefit every year from going to college, sure, but its not to the point where college basketball is developing more 3 or 4 year college players who turn into NBA starters than one-an-done kids who become starters.
    I'm not sure my idea would work either. But I think kids go to NBA draft or stay 2 years. I agree that 3 is too long. But one and done has another negative consequences.

I would also like to see the D/G leagues become a minor league system for the NBA where each NBA team has a team. You can draft players and move them up and down from those leagues. Expand rosters in March in the NBA by 2 to call up players like Baseball in September.

It'll never happen but I like that better than status quo and better than letting 18 year olds sit on the end of the bench in the NBA not getting better. There's something to be said for the skills you learn in college or could learn playing every day in a AAA league.
    Domicillo said:

Agree with what I say, type out a paragraph expanding on my points, and still WTFing my post.

#justmoderatorthings
    Domicillo said:

Y

Domicillo said:

Agree with what I say, type out a paragraph expanding on my points, and still WTFing my post.

#justmoderatorthings
    Must’ve accidentally fat fingered the WTF’d on your initial. Intentionally WTF’d your next post for giving a shit about it.
    Give me my original WTF back. No take backsies.
  • DomicilloDomicillo Member Posts: 3,025

Domicillo said:

Y

Domicillo said:

#justmoderatorthings
    Must’ve accidentally fat fingered the WTF’d on your initial. Intentionally WTF’d your next post for giving a shit about it.
    Give me my original WTF back. No take backsies.
    Done.
  • EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,989

Maybe but that is a tiny fraction of his earnings potential.
  • DawgFaderDawgFader Member Posts: 1,414
    EwaDawg said:

Maybe but that is a tiny fraction of his earnings potential.
    His primary employer Nike gonna make amends for the blowout with a 300 mily contract anyways.

Agree, but I don’t really care about what’s fair. College basketball would get way better if they had to stay for three years.
    One thing I'll disagree on. The current one and done rule helps the schools that aren't power houses. There's a reason Kentucky rarely makes the final four. Teams that develop talent over 3-4 years have an advantage. Duke even does it that way.

2001400ex said:

Agree, but I don’t really care about what’s fair. College basketball would get way better if they had to stay for three years.
    One thing I'll disagree on. The current one and done rule helps the schools that aren't power houses. There's a reason Kentucky rarely makes the final four. Teams that develop talent over 3-4 years have an advantage. Duke North Carolina even does it that way.
    Duke has become a lot more Kentucky the last five years. NC seems to be a team that always has skilled juniors and seniors peppered throughout their line-up. Coincidentally they have been a really consistent tourney team the last fifteen years with three titles, one runner up, five final fours, two elite eights and one sweet sixteen. The flip side is when you are at times young or lacking that real star power you get knocked out in the second round five times in that span as well. Pros and cons to everything but if you're Washington the NC blueprint is the way you compete and win big in the tournament.
    Yeah I'll agree with that. I don't know that UW will consistently pull in the talent that NC does. But it's very underrated signing and developing 3-4 year guys. And that's what Hopkins has done so far. Next year will be interesting with the freshmen studs.