Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Dwag Pre-Combine Profiles

Dane Brugler of The Athletic has been dropping some Pre-Combine Player Profiles.

I obviously can't give you the full articles, but I'll list the Dwags on the lists because I love you all.

Comments

• DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Running Back:

Gaskin is not listed amongst the top 10 (which is what these lists are). Someone asked about Gaskin after such a storied and productive career at UW.

Brugler's response:

Production is awesome, but NFL teams don't draft production. They draft traits. And Gaskin's lack of run power is an issue for several teams. He reminds me some of Gio Bernard and can be a valuable complimentary piece. Gaskin would have been included if this list was top-15.
    Wide Receiver:

UW didn't have any receivers leave this year.
    edited February 2019
    Offensive Tackles:

10. Kaleb McGary, Washington (6-7, 321, 5.08)
    Fife, Wash. (Fife), RS Senior, N/A

Strengths: NFL frame with adequate length … quick out of his stance and comfortable on his feet … flexible joints to stay balanced at contact … aggressive handwork and competes with a nasty attitude … efficient on combination blocks and works well in tandem … uses his reach to latch and displace … creates surge as a run blocker to drive defenders wide … mentally and physically tough and accustomed to overcoming adversity … graduated with a degree in communications (December 2018) … durable and started 43 straight games at right tackle.

Weaknesses: Top heavy and allows his base to narrow at contact … wandering punch, exposing his chest and giving up his body … technique breaks down vs. speed, overextending at the waist … marginal balance in a phone booth … needs to better achieve angles in the run game … diagnosed with a heart arrhythmia (atrial fibrillation) as a junior in high school, which required three surgeries (not a career-threatening condition but something that requires monitoring) … played only right tackle in college.

Summary: A four-year starter at Washington, McGary worked his way into the starting rotation as a freshman and was a mainstay at right tackle for the Huskies, remaining on the right side when left tackle Trey Adams was injured. He was the 2018 Morris Trophy winner as the Pac-12’s top offensive lineman (over Washington State’s Andre Dillard), which is voted on by opposing players in the conference. McGary will occasionally labor with wide speed due to average length and feet, but he is a flexible mover and stays balanced in pass protection. Although his bad habits (specifically his tall posture and late hands) lead to mistakes, his tenacious play personality and intangibles help cover up some of his physical deficiencies. Overall, McGary’s on-field reps aren’t always pretty, but they are mostly effective, using his mobility and play strength to tie up edge defenders, projecting as an NFL right tackle ready to compete for immediate starting reps.
    Offensive Guards and Centers:

Linebacker:

No BBK listed amongst the top 10, but he is discussed in the comments section. Someone compared his size to Devin Bush.

Brugler's Response:

I'm a Burr-Kirven fan, I'll take him on my team as a special teamer and subpackage guy. He's a small-framed player and not a dynamic athlete, but he's a ball magnet and finishes well for a guy with shorter arms.

Bush and BBK aren't on the same level athletically. Size-wise they're similar, but Bush does a better job masking it. I don't think they're really comparable. Love BBK's production and I'd love to have him on my team, but the NFL doesn't draft stats, they draft traits. And that's where Bush is much better.

"Undersized" is a broad term, much more than just weight. Length and growth potential are more important.

Safety:

Not yet listed, but I'll update with Rapp's report card.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Hahaha about kaleb, he will be top 5 OL taken. Freaks like him don’t just walk around
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,230
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Running Back:

Gaskin is not listed amongst the top 10 (which is what these lists are). Someone asked about Gaskin after such a storied and productive career at UW.

Brugler's response:

Production is awesome, but NFL teams don't draft production. They draft traits. And Gaskin's lack of run power is an issue for several teams. He reminds me some of Gio Bernard and can be a valuable complimentary piece. Gaskin would have been included if this list was top-15.

I understand the point about "traits" and the draft.

However, Phillip Lindsay seems to have done real well this year. First undrafted rookie to make the ProBowl.

... and Gaskin is actually listed as being taller and heavier.

So, that's not a case of Gaskin being drafted but it does help ...
  • jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Linebacker:

No BBK listed amongst the top 10, but he is discussed in the comments section. Someone compared his size to Devin Bush.

Brugler's Response:

I'm a Burr-Kirven fan, I'll take him on my team as a special teamer and subpackage guy. He's a small-framed player and not a dynamic athlete, but he's a ball magnet and finishes well for a guy with shorter arms.

Bush and BBK aren't on the same level athletically. Size-wise they're similar, but Bush does a better job masking it. I don't think they're really comparable. Love BBK's production and I'd love to have him on my team, but the NFL doesn't draft stats, they draft traits. And that's where Bush is much better.

"Undersized" is a broad term, much more than just weight. Length and growth potential are more important.

I love how this guy defends his rankings by saying they aren't his rankings they are the NFL rankings. Rather amusing.
  • Miley_CyrusMiley_Cyrus Member Posts: 793
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    animate said:

... and with Sample (see Will Dissly) ... any Washington receiving target was hampered by the system and Brownsocks running the show. I would expect Sample to outperform his expectations once he gets into the league.

Sample will be a good NFL player. Good blocker, good hands, had a knack for making big plays on 3rd down.

Safety:

Not yet listed, but I'll update with Rapp's report card.

2. Taylor Rapp, Washington (6-0, 215, 4.57)

Bellingham, Wash. (Sehome), Junior, 12/22/1997 (age 21.35)

Strengths: Highly intelligent and quick to diagnose … understands football geometry and he doesn’t misjudge angles … short-area quickness to cleanly redirect his momentum … excellent closing burst vs. the run … controlled tackler, squaring his target, staying low and finishing with strong hands … accurate strike zone to create stopping power at contact … fearless and willingly sticks his nose in the fire … maneuvers through congestion without creating a 12-car pile-up … active blitzer … physical to the ball in coverage … extra effort and toughing out injuries are standard for him … double-digit starts each of his three seasons in college.

Weaknesses: Good play speed, but not twitchy and lacks elite range … needs to improve his pedal and transition technique … more of a battering ram downhill and needs to better use his hands to work off contact … didn’t play in the Rose Bowl after suffering a hip injury in the Pac-12 Championship Game (Dec. 2018); suffered a hairline fracture in his left hand (March 2016).

Summary: A three-year starter at Washington, Rapp was a versatile chess piece in the middle of the field for the Huskies, lining up at linebacker, nickel and both safety spots throughout his career. When drafted, he will be the second (and likely the highest) Chinese-American selected in the NFL Draft (OL Ed Wang was a fifth-rounder in 2010 and played four seasons in the NFL). Rapp is one of the “smartest guys I’ve ever coached,” according to Huskies defensive coordinator Jimmy Lake and his instincts and intelligence are the first traits that stand out on film. He is always in chase mode (doesn’t know how to turn it off) and won’t make mental mistakes. Overall, there are better athletes in this safety class, but Rapp’s smarts, toughness vs. the run and ability to handle coverage responsibilities make him a high-floor prospect, projecting as a long-term NFL starting safety.