Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Universal Basic Income - Freedom Dividend

pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,680
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
Interesting conversation.

As could be expected, my knee-jerk reaction to UBI is fuck that. Simply giving people money won't solve anything. It's fucking expensive. You may may create apathy in a population ... etc

That said, automation and artificial intelligence in the workplace is going to render millions without jobs over the next 10 years. To be fair to the business owner, there are many sound reasons for the implementation of automation and artificial intelligence. But still.

Most of the jobs lost will be to people who won't be rehire-able in the work force. And #learntocode (training higher skill sets) won't realistically be an option for the majority displaced.

One can make a legit case for the automation-replacing-labor in the swing states is what ushered in the #MAGA presidency.

Staying out in front seems better than waiting to after the fact when people are legit displaced, without options.. to think this group of proud blue collar workers will take this lying down is laughable.

Are there better ways to head-off this imminent, massive problem?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Yang_(entrepreneur)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTsEzmFamZ8

Comments

• 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I think we should cut taxes and eliminate the minimum wage. So businesses can stop replacing workers with automation.
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    So, guaranteeing economic security to all Americans?
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I believe you, buddy.

I've been saying this for years, so hopefully I'm right, but I really don't see automation killing the economy or putting people permanently out of work. We have always replaced jobs whenever automation hits a big sector. And everyone always says "but this time is different!" and they are always right when they say that, but the outcome is always the same.

As long as humans are available, we can be hired to perform value adding tasks that machines can't. And as long as businesses are competitive they will hire to achieve that edge.

We are shifting from a manufacturing to a technology based economy. There are jobs being replaced by automation, and it's been happening for years. But someone needs to program the computers for automation. This creates jobs. It's not one for one, but it's also not a 100% lots of jobs either, a percentage is replaced by IT people. And people to manufacture the machines.

I tell my boy to either go to college for staple professional jobs that'll always be there such as accounting or engineering. Or pharmacy/medical that'll always be there. Or technology. Which is replacing low level or middle class jobs with high paying jobs.
    pawz said:

2001400ex said:

I think we should cut taxes and eliminate the minimum wage. So businesses can stop replacing workers with automation.

Shut the fuck up.

Wait a minute. I heard for years that high taxes and minimum wage are causing businesses to replace workers with machines. You don't like to hear that now?

And really it solves both problems, I've been hearing for years that business need lower taxes and lower wages then they can hire more people.

So cut taxes and end minimum wage and we don't need UBI.

2001400ex said:

pawz said:

2001400ex said:

Shut the fuck up.

Wait a minute. I heard for years that high taxes and minimum wage are causing businesses to replace workers with machines. You don't like to hear that now?

And really it solves both problems, I've been hearing for years that business need lower taxes and lower wages then they can hire more people.

So cut taxes and end minimum wage and we don't need UBI.
    Shut the fuck up
    Race doesn't like his own talking points now.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2001400ex said:

Do you want me to tell you your logical fallacy, or do you already know?
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    I'm for UBI if it gets rid of Welfare
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    2001400ex said:

I've been saying this for years, so hopefully I'm right, but I really don't see automation killing the economy or putting people permanently out of work. We have always replaced jobs whenever automation hits a big sector. And everyone always says "but this time is different!" and they are always right when they say that, but the outcome is always the same.

As long as humans are available, we can be hired to perform value adding tasks that machines can't. And as long as businesses are competitive they will hire to achieve that edge.

We are shifting from a manufacturing to a technology based economy. There are jobs being replaced by automation, and it's been happening for years. But someone needs to program the computers for automation. This creates jobs. It's not one for one, but it's also not a 100% lots of jobs either, a percentage is replaced by IT people. And people to manufacture the machines.

I tell my boy to either go to college for staple professional jobs that'll always be there such as accounting or engineering. Or pharmacy/medical that'll always be there. Or technology. Which is replacing low level or middle class jobs with high paying jobs.
    There will always be a job for Accountants, Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers, Professors/Teachers, Law Enforcement, Technology, Investments, and Sales.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm for UBI if it gets rid of Welfare

Milton had some thoughts.

https://youtu.be/FWcTMGaOHWA
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    jecornel said:

People are mired in credit card debt, millennials have stopped paying their car loans, people can't save $400 bucks.......so...let's.......give people free money. Because I'm sure it won't go towards the latest iphone or beats.

I'm all for safety nets to a degree, but let's not go off the fucking rails here.

Sure automation will have impacts moving forward, but currently there are unrealized problems that will have to be solved by humans. You can't just say AI and automation are going to ruin everything and the future is doomed. Yes, automation is already here and it has tremendous upside but let's not make blanket statements that everything is fucked.

Other types of employment will come forth as technology and needs change. It will require adapting.

Though the phone provides just enough distraction that the clueless and blind will rely on handouts, and taxpayers will be asked to bail them out.

The younger generation believes you can make a fucking career from using Instagram. Hey let me show my ass and I will get followers and then I can be a public figure. Hey, let me be an influencer on social media and then I charge an appearance fee. Social media and mobile phones have really fucked some shit up. There is still value in face to face communication.

This is a spectacularly crotchety post. Have a chin.
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,516
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

jecornel said:

People are mired in credit card debt, millennials have stopped paying their car loans, people can't save $400 bucks.......so...let's.......give people free money. Because I'm sure it won't go towards the latest iphone or beats.

I'm all for safety nets to a degree, but let's not go off the fucking rails here.

Sure automation will have impacts moving forward, but currently there are unrealized problems that will have to be solved by humans. You can't just say AI and automation are going to ruin everything and the future is doomed. Yes, automation is already here and it has tremendous upside but let's not make blanket statements that everything is fucked.

Other types of employment will come forth as technology and needs change. It will require adapting.

Though the phone provides just enough distraction that the clueless and blind will rely on handouts, and taxpayers will be asked to bail them out.

The younger generation believes you can make a fucking career from using Instagram. Hey let me show my ass and I will get followers and then I can be a public figure. Hey, let me be an influencer on social media and then I charge an appearance fee. Social media and mobile phones have really fucked some shit up. There is still value in face to face communication.

This is a spectacularly crotchety post. Have a chin.

• SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,470
    2001400ex said:

You have kids? Impossible.