Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

We're on to 2020!

HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
It's not exactly a hot take to say 2020 is likely going be the most important recruiting class in UW history because of the high level in state (and former in state) recruits , but I think it's going to be a real test for this staff in more ways than just "can we close 5 stars with geographic ties?"

Here is the current list of kids from what I'd consider the Pac 12 recruiting blueprint (Pac12 states plus Idaho, Nevada and Hawaii) who are currently ranked in 247's top 247. All of these kids are four stars. Obviously not all these kids will be recruited by UW and others not listed will be, somebody else can research deeper if you like. This is just a starter look at what will likely be the majority of top western kids in the class.

Top 247 ranking (kids with UW offer in bold, kids UW is basically already out of it for in strikethrough, school committed to in parentheses)

Smalls - 2
Flowe - 4
Ringo - 7
Uigalelei - 9
Milton - 10
Ricks - 11
(LSU)
Jason Harris - 19 (top unoffered prospect on the list, Buck 'spect from Arizona where we've done pretty well, lets get in on him)
Murao - 20
Johnny Wilson - 21
Bijan - 29
Bryce Young - 39 (USC)
Jermaine Burton - 54 (WR from Calabasasas, teammate of Johnny Wilson, why no offer??)
Gee Jr - 58 (tOSU)
Clark Phillips - 59
Jay Butterfield - 71
John Humphreys - 73
Jack Miller - 86 (tOSU)
Darvon Hubbard - 90 (tOSU)
Botelho - 97
McMillan - 103
Bryant, JR - 105
Reece Atteberry - 108
Darion Green-Warren - 112 (OU)
Damian Sellers - 126
Brandon Jones - 136
Jamar Sekona - 152
Bryce Farrell - 153 (Stanford)
Daniyel - 154
Geirean - 165
Jaden Navarette - 170
Xavier Carlton - 173
Noah Sewell - 177
LV Bunkley-Shelton - 182
Chad Johnson - 190
Matt Sykes - 197
Elijah Badger - 205
Logan Loya - 213
Kris Hutson - 215
Ayden Hector - 217
Andrew Gentry - 224
Max Lenzy - 239
DJ Rogers - 242 (*sniff sniff*) (don't look at his offer sheet, just don't)
Justin Houston - 245
Jared Greenfield - 246
Sam Adams II - 247

Out of area but has in state ties:
Marcus Henderson - 82

A few things of note:

Either 247 is overrating WR or this is a generational WR class (abundance?). There are 47 (!) WRs in the top 247, or 1 of every 5.25 players. I know 2018 was similar but I don't remember the exact numbers. Crazy.

13 of those WRs are in the Pac footprint states, so there are plenty of WRs out there in what will probably be a 4 WR class for UW.

We have issued 23 offers to kids on this list. Of those 23 at least 5 are already not coming here (Uigalelai, Milton, Ricks, Young, Sewell). Of the remaining 18:

Four are from Washington (Smalls, Hackett, Hector, Adams)
Just two (!) are Polynesian (Murao, Botelho)
At least twelve have at least one African American (or African in Ngata's case) parent.

Obviously there are a ton of offers still to go out. But this has the potential to be either the blackest class Pete has recruited at UW or the most disappointing. The vast majority of early offers to highly rated western kids have gone out to African American kids. This was the right year to hire an African American WR coach, and to have Will Harris show his value. We have more African Americans on staff than at any point under Pete. They have a great opportunity to make us better this class.

P.S. Obviously there are offers out there that aren't listed above. I'm not going to bother to list the Texas/OK offers until we get a feel for who we are really in on as the strategy there is obviously an outlier. Here are the other western offers:

Jordan Banks (263)
Nick Herbig (302) (whitey)
Lathan Ransom (303) (how is he not top 247??) (217 by composite)
Josh Jackson - 374 (242 by composite)
Makell Esteen (402)
Mark Redman - 403 (whitey)
Dahlin Mesake (525) (Poly? Asian? Not sure here)
Tosh Baker (527) (whitey?)
Jeffrey Persi (574)
Gaard Memmelaar (647) (viking) (commit)
Rome Odunze - 782
Ethan Garbers - 788 (whitey)

So of the 12 other offers out there four are white kids, maybe one is Poly and the other 7 are mixed or African American.

This class will be defined by our ability to close kids with at least one black parent. We won't be able to rely on getting all the Polys this time around, as there just do not appear to be enough of them in this next class, and two of the best (Uigalelei and Nowell) ain't coming here.

Major level up challenge. Major level up opportunity.

Comments

• Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,286
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Burton recently moved from SEC country and is almost definitely going back.

Harris I thought was playing basketball but I could be wrong.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186

Burton recently moved from SEC country and is almost definitely going back.

Harris I thought was playing basketball but I could be wrong.

Good chinfo, makes sense. I'd still offer Burton but I suppose I understand if they don't.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
  • minion_doogminion_doog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,946
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Is there a Myspace or can the guys down at Radio Shack walk me through how to create a jet, warmer, cooker, whatever the youth call those sneaky tweets to compliment the kids for UW? I watched about 40 mins of news in SLC last night which has created pause and reflection. I'm ready to do my part.
  • NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,789
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Does anyone know why we aren’t remotely looking at Darnell Washington out of Nevada? He’d never come here, but it still seems strange that UW hasn’t even offered
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,701
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We need your address @minion_doog so we can send you your official Udub TBS card and rule book.

Welcome to the stalker life!
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186

Do we get to beat Oregon this time?

NEM?
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,693
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I understand the theory behind a deeper evaluation than mere 24/7 rankings and I appreciate that guys here who follow this stuff like our class better

But but but

They ranked higher. That bothers me more than beating USC makes me happy

That's how champion TBS guys are.

I know we killed it on the DL and hope they are ready to go because we don't have a lot. Our defense is always going to be good now

Getting Puca who I actually saw light ups some guy in the Poly Bowl saved the offense

It remains a work in progress to put it mildly
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Is there a Myspace or can the guys down at Radio Shack walk me through how to create a jet, warmer, cooker, whatever the youth call those sneaky tweets to compliment the kids for UW? I watched about 40 mins of news in SLC last night which has created pause and reflection. I'm ready to do my part.

I just can’t get behind this as a good idea.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Do we get to beat Oregon this time?

too much war imagery
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,555
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Is the 2020 class where our title hopes finally come into focus?
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,701
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Is the 2020 class where our title hopes finally come into focus?

Most likely. We have had great players throughout the Pete era and are now adding great depth to that. The one missing piece is the elite of the elite game breakers. The 2020 class should provide at least one of those (Smalls...and at a position that has been one of the two main missing pieces along with QB).

It could very easily could provide two more - Ringo and Murao.

We have a real shot at another (Wilson).

And there are a few others sprinkled who you could imagine us getting (Bijan if KB would recruit him, Ngata who has suddenly become underrated around here) and then the Bru McCoy Memorial "he'll never come here" category of Justin Flowe.

I'd guess we add 3 or 4 higher rated players in 2020 than we have gotten to enroll to this point under Pete.

Then you stack that with Huard, Egbuka, Latu, Simon and JTT in 2021...

If UW can get 3 or 4 this year then 4 or 5 next year, especially if those include Smalls and JTT, you have completely changed the appearance of the program to elite kids going forward.

These two classes have massive significance on the field as the final stage of leveling up the roster, but maybe even bigger significance when it comes to recruiting 2022 and beyond.

It's impossible to overstate how important the next 24 months of UW recruiting is.
    Can we send this through snail mail to Jen, Pete, and each coach?