Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

USC/UCLA sell Pac 12 couch

Comments

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,271
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

In a certain sense, this breaks my heart. All that tradition, all those years of looking forward to playing USC in the rain and battling for a Rose Bowl berth. *POOF*
    Agreed. I am more sad than anything. The only equivalent is Nebraska bailing on 100 years of playing their Great Plains rivals for the B1G.
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,262
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    The northwest rivalries, ease of traveling to an away game, tradition....this is what stings the most. On the other hand, the P12 has been trending down, home attendance not good, there are only a couple conference games that move the needle, so playing in a major conference might bring some life to seeing some big home games, and recruiting might improve. UW will need to get it's shit together for NIL though
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,882
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dtd said:

College football is for fags.

DM'd you.
    I’m waiting.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,974
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    The college football is ruined crowd is loser talk. If we were a t
    dannarc said:

The northwest rivalries, ease of traveling to an away game, tradition....this is what stings the most. On the other hand, the P12 has been trending down, home attendance not good, there are only a couple conference games that move the needle, so playing in a major conference might bring some life to seeing some big home games, and recruiting might improve. UW will need to get it's shit together for NIL though

If Cohen is still the AD through and after this, that is a huge red flag. She probably called Pete on the phone crying when the news broke.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,490
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dannarc said:

As much as we love a lot of things about the tradition of college football, some things have been breaking down, and not just in the Pac-12, and committing to the TV money and the five programs that are rolling is about the only sure thing the sport has, and even that seems short term to me.

I remember talk about even some attendance issues at Alabama. I don't know if attendance issues will ever be resolved at USC and UW.

I personally think taking away the regionalism of the sport will cause long-term problems and the eventual creation of essentially a minor league will keep future generations from not getting into college football.

My biggest selling point would be just changing the name to the Saturday Football League and making the tagline "It's better to get drunk on Saturday."
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Seems the plan is to continue to praise the Pac 12 and the lack of success UW has ever had but saying otherwise.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,563
    Swaye's Wigwam
    A lot of UW trying to sell itself in that statement.

"close contact with leadership and peers...working together to examine options and opportunities"

The Pac 10 knows they are fucked. UW, UO, Cal and Stanford are readying their joint sales pitch to the BIG. The LA schools will need closer conference competition for olympic sports. Say what you want but sending gymnastics, softball or Cross country etc. between 1500 and 3000 miles to compete on a weekly or bi-weekly basis is not sustainable for the athletes. Utah, UA, ASU and Colorado are all regional fits for the new Big 12. OSU and WSU will be begging for admittance to the Big 12 but will most likely be headed to the MWC. I could argue that the new MWC in that scenario would be a comparable football league to the Pac 10 in fan support, and university by-in.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,203
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bob_C said:

It’s over. If I had any enthusiasm, for college football and/or uw, it’s gone. No warning. Just gone.

The game I fell in love with and everything that made it unique and special has been obliterated.

It’s turning into NFL Lite.
    Just kill it and have minor leagues. The players will be able to negotiate salary and endorsement deals and finally get paid what they are worth vs being under the thumb of the man.
    We need the Saudis to help us sort this out.
    6 game season with each game being 3 quarters long

Can you have 3 quarters? Wouldn't that be 3 thirds? What's the deal with that?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,203
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

dannarc said:

As much as we love a lot of things about the tradition of college football, some things have been breaking down, and not just in the Pac-12, and committing to the TV money and the five programs that are rolling is about the only sure thing the sport has, and even that seems short term to me.

I remember talk about even some attendance issues at Alabama. I don't know if attendance issues will ever be resolved at USC and UW.

I personally think taking away the regionalism of the sport will cause long-term problems and the eventual creation of essentially a minor league will keep future generations from not getting into college football.

My biggest selling point would be just changing the name to the Saturday Football League and making the tagline "It's better to get drunk on Saturday."
    It didn't start breaking down until it was decided it needed to be changed because simple minded people couldn't fathom a champion through polling. Arguing about rankings is one of the things that made it fun.

The downward spiral started with the BCS.

You have no idea the damage ending the traditional Rose Bowl matchup did.
    BUT WE NEED A REAL CHAMPION!!!

Sven was big on that. Just saying.
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye said:

I like that a bunch of Ducks just learned how unimportant they really are. Fox came calling and the only one that moved the needle was USC, and of course UCLA got the little brother pity invite. UW and Duck not part of the equation. I was under no illusions that UW sucks so no surprise there, but I love all the Ducks learning that they are worthless just like us.

Just googled “straw man” and it sent me back here.

Everyone understands exactly what just happened.

I’m sorry we ruined your day at Disneyland. Move on.