Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Show your support for what this community means to you:
Choose a Donation Amount
Username
(required for credit)
Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Oregon Star: "i sold my soul to Nike"

obviously a paraphrase but what was this kid Thibodeaux thinking with this interview? just so muddled and in theory great aspirations/ideas but then he sullies it with constant commercial references.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/ncaa-football/news/kayvon-thibodeaux-stigmatism-alabama-oregon/1td4jx7zunh26zon956cgadfx

first of all, he denigrates an "Alabama education" vs. a "west coast education" while completely butchering the english language during exact same sentence.

more direct comments from the article:

His comments — used incorrectly as they were — were prompted by Klatt asking what it was like to be recruited by Saban. Thibodeaux said he didn't like Saban's recruiting pitch that players want to play when they think they're ready, as opposed to when Saban thinks they're ready. That moment, Thibodeaux said, led him to think Alabama wasn't for him.

Klatt then asked Thibodeaux whether he knew each of Saban's recruiting classes had won a national championship during their time in Tuscaloosa. Responded Thibodeaux: "And that’s important. Hopefully they’ve all still got jobs and stuff after."

then comes this:

“If I handed you a fishing pole, would you know how to use it? If I’ve never learned (how to fish) or if school has never been important to me, or a job, or a career has never been important until I was done playing football, how would I ever know how to get a career or a job?

but it turns out it's all about lining up some $$$$ from Nike..

he mentions Nike 3 times in an article about "alabama vs. west education", "Saban determining playing time instead of the player" and "learning how to fish so you will be useful in life"

maybe he can be in charge of some Nike sweatshops in Bangladesh.

honestly, he seems like a good kid but maybe i shouldn't bash him like this..... but this comments were shocking to me. think before you speak.

Comments

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,795
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Up Votes 10,000 Awesomes Eighth Anniversary
    He could have played for Beavlet and still got that coveted 40k Nike job they hand out to ex athletes. And unlike at Oregon he could have learned to code.
    HuskyJWDavidtheLSkid
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,611
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Up Votes 10,000 Awesomes Ninth Anniversary
    edited January 14
    He didn’t accomplish anything at Oregon that he couldn’t have anywhere else

5* that played like a 5* at times….will make millions in NFL
    SpoonieLuv
  • DawgtillDeathDawgtillDeath Member Posts: 47
    25 Up Votes 25 Awesomes 10 Comments
    He's way overrated.
    PurpleThrobberHFNYcreepycougJoeEDangerouslyPawgDawg
  • BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,230
    2,500 Awesomes 1,500 Up Votes 250 Answers 1000 Comments
    I bet Thibodeaux spells his name wrong 81% of the time
    DawgtillDeath
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 19,967
    10,000 Up Votes 10,000 Awesomes Eighth Anniversary 10000 Comments

obviously a paraphrase but what was this kid Thibodeaux thinking with this interview? just so muddled and in theory great aspirations/ideas but then he sullies it with constant commercial references.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/ncaa-football/news/kayvon-thibodeaux-stigmatism-alabama-oregon/1td4jx7zunh26zon956cgadfx

first of all, he denigrates an "Alabama education" vs. a "west coast education" while completely butchering the english language during exact same sentence.

Yeahhh, but there's this: 99% of Division 1 football players bringing up academis do the exact same thing. There's been more than one sub-70 IQ DWAG play the academis card on TV.

I disagree he'd have had the same platform at Beav. That is a quintessentially low visibility place. Like it or not, for better and worse, Oregon is a known quantity nationally. There are other great platforms in the P12, but OSU isn't one of them. Beav, Cuog and, arguably, Bear are the worst in the conference. The only thing famous about those places as far as cfb is concerned is Cuog's Game Day flag thing, which is probably close to jumping the shark.

He's physically capable of a very nice career in the NFL but what remains to be seen is if he's such a headcase that it fucks him up.
    RatherBeBrewingEmoterman
    HuskyJW said:

Well, he played in the Rose Bowl. I can think of a few places at which that would not have happened. And he'd be far less well known if he played at Cuog, for example.

I'm not sure "anywhere else" is accurate.
    RatherBeBrewingEmotermanCanadawgtrublue
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 3,791
    5,000 Awesomes Eighth Anniversary 2,500 Up Votes 2500 Comments
    haie said:

He could have played for Beavlet and still got that coveted 40k Nike job they hand out to ex athletes. And unlike at Oregon he could have learned to code.

This post refuses to eat foods that are touching and loves Thomas the tank engine
    1to392831weretakenDawgtillDeathtrublueGreenRiverGatorz
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,531
    2,500 Awesomes Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Up Votes 250 Answers

HuskyJW said:

Well, he played in the Rose Bowl. I can think of a few places at which that would not have happened. And he'd be far less well known if he played at Cuog, for example.

Exactly, if he went to Beav or Cal he wouldn’t be getting interviewed in the first place no matter what he did on the field.

In the 247 composite and in their own rankings KT wasn’t even the top edge rusher, Georgia’s Nolan Smith was. Individually, there’s no question who had the better career. Opportunity is a big part of success, right place at the right time. Other places could have been good for him as well, but they weren’t.
    Goduckies
  • MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 2,484
    Seventh Anniversary 1,500 Awesomes 1,000 Up Votes 250 Answers
    Imagine caring about this, at all.
    trublue
  • TrumpsWallTrumpsWall Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 385
    Swaye's Wigwam 250 Answers Fifth Anniversary 500 Awesomes

HuskyJW said:

Exactly, if he went to Beav or Cal he wouldn’t be getting interviewed in the first place no matter what he did on the field.

In the 247 composite and in their own rankings KT wasn’t even the top edge rusher, Georgia’s Nolan Smith was. Individually, there’s no question who had the better career. Opportunity is a big part of success, right place at the right time. Other places could have been good for him as well, but they weren’t.
    Aidan Hutchinson says hi
    creepycoug
  • JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,218
    Swaye's Wigwam 5,000 Awesomes 1,500 Up Votes 2500 Comments

He's way overrated.

Yes but don’t come here and steal my shit fucko
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 13,396
    10,000 Awesomes 10,000 Up Votes Eighth Anniversary 10000 Comments
    Lots of jealousy in this thread
    Goduckies
  • EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 2,871
    Eighth Anniversary 1,500 Up Votes 1,500 Awesomes 2500 Comments

Lots of jealousy in this thread

Yes. And it shows in the stigmatism.

A lot of us are jealous of that technically gifted speaker.

DavidGoduckies
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,531
    2,500 Awesomes Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Up Votes 250 Answers

HuskyJW said:

Aidan Hutchinson says hi
    Relevance?
    Did Aidan Hutchinson go to Beav or Cal or did he go to Michigan?
    ntxduckgreenbloodcreepycoug
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,967
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Awesomes 2,500 Up Votes Seventh Anniversary
    Stats do not matter when you and your school are in ESPN's top 20

They lie about how good (insert name) are until everyone believes it.

BTW I thought Tibbydough was OK - not special against good OLs but enough to kill us when he wanted to
  • TheHBTheHB Member Posts: 1,716
    2,500 Awesomes Eighth Anniversary 1,500 Up Votes 250 Answers
    Has Oregon gotten the death penalty yet?
    creepycougchuck
  • rivercitybridierivercitybridie Member Posts: 20
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    the other thing i find bizarre is he says bama education "ain't west coast"... "ain't ivy league".

like UO education is anything that special... UW >> UO (mostly because UW is in a big city and attracts better profs) but UW isn't (note NOT using "ain't") either (at least not considered against harvard/princeton/yale which i think most people mean when they say "ivy league" for education).

not to mention lauding education and using "ain't" twice.. yeah, i know that's street and/or cool verbal style. but he's talking about quality of education.

think the kid just needs much much better guidance.... the announcers seemed to love him. but honestly, if you spew out some vague progressive and/or selfless ideals ("KT wants to 'give back' ") and don't beat up your GF, you are a hero to the social media and broadcasting world.... i'm not really anti-progressive, at least not compared to the current alternative.
    edited January 16

the other thing i find bizarre is he says bama education "ain't west coast"... "ain't ivy league".

like UO education is anything that special... UW >> UO (mostly because UW is in a big city and attracts better profs) but UW isn't (note NOT using "ain't") either (at least not considered against harvard/princeton/yale which i think most people mean when they say "ivy league" for education).

not to mention lauding education and using "ain't" twice.. yeah, i know that's street and/or cool verbal style. but he's talking about quality of education.

think the kid just needs much much better guidance.... the announcers seemed to love him. but honestly, if you spew out some vague progressive and/or selfless ideals ("KT wants to 'give back' ") and don't beat up your GF, you are a hero to the social media and broadcasting world.... i'm not really anti-progressive, at least not compared to the current alternative.

Um, there's no "considering" the Ivy League. The Ivy League is the Ivy League as the Pac 12 is the Pac 12. So, most people consider the Ivy League to consist of 8 identifiable schools everyone has heard of. It's not an opinion.

It sounds like this is the first time you've heard a really dumb person from the sports world on TV trying to sound better than they are, and it's made an impact. Let me help you brace yourself: you're going to hear it again.

Why are you parsing the stupid words of a stupid person who plays for the other school? There are plenty of them at Montlake for you to study up close if you'd like.

I also might disagree with your explanation of why UW > Oregon, but that would extend the discussion.
    ntxduckGreenRiverGatorz