Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What is going on at UW Men's Hoops?

JimBasnightJimBasnight Member Posts: 14
Name Dropper First Comment 5 Awesomes
1. Hopkins is probably gone after this season.
a. He engineers another disaster like the last two seasons and his buyout is sufficiently low enough for UW to hire a low priced but sensible coach. This possibility is high. All of these new players must be turned into a team which loves the heck out of each other and this league is murder.
b. He successfully assembles enough talent to compete in the Pac-12 and looks good enough for Syracuse boosters who like his style to bring him there as HC.
c. Boeheim is likely gone after this year. There are powerful Syracuse boosters who want Hop, because he'll provide access to the team to boosters and alums. Everyone in the game from Miami to Anchorage knows this, except AD Cohen, who is completely unaware.
2. To do b. UW needs at least one, if not two bigs. Any good UW front court in modern times have a big-timer like Wilson, but also 1-2 other guys to take the heat off them. With Steve Hawes it was John Quigg. Quigg played defense and took the beatings involved in protecting the paint and giving up the big fouls. Every step along the way, without a big tough guy, a UW finesse guy was less than successful.
3. With Daejon and Terrell, UW are more capable PG position than they've been since Romar was here and NBA level guards were as common as purple at the Hec Ed gift store. Picking up Fuller to provide depth and someone who is coming back besides Penn would be huge for the next coach.
4. Bey is a good piece, but he has not shown a scorers mentality. Unsure if he ever will. If he does this year I may finally let go of the bitterness I feel about the fact that UW took him instead of Elleby. A lineup of Nowell, Elleby, Thybulle, Dickerson and even a stiff like Timmins, or Quade, Naz, Elleby, McDaniels, Stewart would have meant two straight dance cards and probably some unique successes.
5. Bajema is a guy who has a good looking shot (which has yet to find the bottom of the net dependably) and better length to develop from, but is much less efficient and court aware than Bey, who is also a good defender. Both are dependent players. If you surround them with take charge guys like Matisse and Nowell, they're more likely to contribute nicely. I'm hoping Davis and Brown can do that.
6. Matthews is a solid defender who can board. This is incredibly important this season. The perimeter lineup will probably work best with Brown and Davis starting at the 1-2 spots, Matthews starting at the three, Bey and Bajema backing up at the 2-3. Penn and Samuel Ariyibi red-shirt.
7. Front court needs a lot of help. Take Sorn off scholarship. I see him about as consequential to the program as David Hudson. He's got a gimmicky offensive game, but you'd rebound and defend legit bigs and slashers better with a 5'x9' pipe and drape. If he wants to do a year as a walk-on that would help in practice and be a decent story. If he wants to play, I'm not sure where. Big Sky/Big West, but maybe.
8. Keep Roberts in hopes he finds some urgency and does what he's told to do in workouts in developing his game and fixing his problem areas which are many.
9. Wilson is your number one option on offense and I'm hopeful that Davis and Brown can utilize that. Hop has shown he is fully capable of wasting an incredible number one option in Isaiah Stewart, but Daejon and Terrell might figure it out on their own. All three and Hop are likely done, but this combo has potential to lift UW into the middle of the Pac-12. Wilson will bring in a ton of NBA scouts.
10. Jackson Grant is going to be a good change up option for Wilson, but for him to be that enforcer big, who is going to do the dirty work for Wilson is not too realistic. I think he'll be good to back up Wilson and play 10-15 minutes at the four, if Wilson plays 25-30 minutes, plus some minutes at the five, backing up the guy they've yet to get.
11. If Hop can get Fuller or a cool younger guard, he then absolutely needs two bigs with the space he has left. A big wide guy to take fouls away from Wilson, collect easy buckets, set picks and just be big and ugly is what's needed. If you got one of those, adding a guy who can score inside effectively, as a second option there in case Wilson gets hurt (scary) would be the best case scenario.
12. If that second big is Fresno's Bryson Williams from UTEP, who Pondexter is rumored to have great connections to, that would provide the best case scenario. Wilson, a big guy to play opposite him to do the dirty work, an effective, proven inside scorer with range in Williams, a dynamic freshman big to give you extra energy, but who you don't need to pressure, plus Roberts competing with the dirty work guy for minutes.
13. The successful rotation, contrary to those who think Grant is some kind of savior, is Wilson, a big veteran to do the dirty work along with Roberts and a proven inside scorer with range like Williams. Grant gets a chance to acclimate himself to D1 at his own pace and be brought along slowly if necessary. If Grant's that good he'll get minutes. If not, no shame to contribute more towards the end of the season, leading up to a ton of minutes in 2022-23.
14. Wyking is probably going with Hop to Syracuse. Pondexter wants to get into coaching and sees this as an opportunity to show his stuff. QPon seems to have good relationships and connections to talent. He may be a good fit to keep at UW once Hop is gone.
15. Not sure what is best for Conroy. Who gets an assistant coaching job at a high major as their first coaching job, who isn't a big-time NBA guy? It's hard to know what he does for the program, but his loyalty to UW is admirable. Maybe he'll also find a way to stick with a new regime. I'd love to see either Travis Decuire or Brandon Roy as the next head coach at UW. An incredible combination would be the two of them together, with Quincy and one more guy, perhaps a big man guy, if that could happen. Like it was said at Michigan once about the head football coaching job, "A Michigan man for a Michigan team." Change the state to Washington in this case and please no Zags, Ducks or guys who can't do what Romar did with Seattle-Tacoma kids.

Please AD Cohen. Don't make another huge blunder in this hire.

Scholarship picture:

1. Daejon Sr.
2. Terrell Sr.
3. Fuller So. (if they can land him or hopefully another high quality and/or veteran combo guard or PG)
4. Bey Jr.
5. Penn Fr. RS
6. Bajema So.
7. Matthews Jr.
8. Samuel Fr. RS
9. Wilson So. (early entry likely)
10. Roberts So.
11. Grant Fr.
12. Big who can score
13. Big who can do the dirty work

I think it also needs to be said that the new transfer rules favor UW. If I'm a kid who left home for a big factory school in some lame town like Lexington KY or Lawrence KS, I'm not one and done and playing hoops and doing farm girls, while not actually going to class is dawning on me as not a great career plan, a school as remarkable as UW and a town as attractive as Seattle have a lot to be offered. This can be a reasonably quick re-build from the Hop disaster and the horrid Romar firing blunder, with a staff who can capture the respect of the local community. Other excellent folks to consider are Tre Simmons, Jamaal Williams and Jamal Crawford. Even my old friend Ryan Appleby might be a smart person to consider. Apps understands shooting and is a team player.

Comments

• AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,958
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I hate the Seattle basketball community. That is all.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:
    He is until he fucking PROVES he's not!
  • Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,942
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

a. He engineers another disaster like the last two seasons and his buyout is sufficiently low enough for UW to hire a low priced but sensible coach. This possibility is high. All of these new players must be turned into a team which loves the heck out of each other and this league is murder.
    b. He successfully assembles enough talent to compete in the Pac-12 and looks good enough for Syracuse boosters who like his style to bring him there as HC.
    c. Boeheim is likely gone after this year. There are powerful Syracuse boosters who want Hop, because he'll provide access to the team to boosters and alums. Everyone in the game from Miami to Anchorage knows this, except AD Cohen, who is completely unaware.
    2. To do b. UW needs at least one, if not two bigs. Any good UW front court in modern times have a big-timer like Wilson, but also 1-2 other guys to take the heat off them. With Steve Hawes it was John Quigg. Quigg played defense and took the beatings involved in protecting the paint and giving up the big fouls. Every step along the way, without a big tough guy, a UW finesse guy was less than successful.
    3. With Daejon and Terrell, UW are more capable PG position than they've been since Romar was here and NBA level guards were as common as purple at the Hec Ed gift store. Picking up Fuller to provide depth and someone who is coming back besides Penn would be huge for the next coach.
    4. Bey is a good piece, but he has not shown a scorers mentality. Unsure if he ever will. If he does this year I may finally let go of the bitterness I feel about the fact that UW took him instead of Elleby. A lineup of Nowell, Elleby, Thybulle, Dickerson and even a stiff like Timmins, or Quade, Naz, Elleby, McDaniels, Stewart would have meant two straight dance cards and probably some unique successes.
    5. Bajema is a guy who has a good looking shot (which has yet to find the bottom of the net dependably) and better length to develop from, but is much less efficient and court aware than Bey, who is also a good defender. Both are dependent players. If you surround them with take charge guys like Matisse and Nowell, they're more likely to contribute nicely. I'm hoping Davis and Brown can do that.
    6. Matthews is a solid defender who can board. This is incredibly important this season. The perimeter lineup will probably work best with Brown and Davis starting at the 1-2 spots, Matthews starting at the three, Bey and Bajema backing up at the 2-3. Penn and Samuel Ariyibi red-shirt.
    7. Front court needs a lot of help. Take Sorn off scholarship. I see him about as consequential to the program as David Hudson. He's got a gimmicky offensive game, but you'd rebound and defend legit bigs and slashers better with a 5'x9' pipe and drape. If he wants to do a year as a walk-on that would help in practice and be a decent story. If he wants to play, I'm not sure where. Big Sky/Big West, but maybe.
    8. Keep Roberts in hopes he finds some urgency and does what he's told to do in workouts in developing his game and fixing his problem areas which are many.
    9. Wilson is your number one option on offense and I'm hopeful that Davis and Brown can utilize that. Hop has shown he is fully capable of wasting an incredible number one option in Isaiah Stewart, but Daejon and Terrell might figure it out on their own. All three and Hop are likely done, but this combo has potential to lift UW into the middle of the Pac-12. Wilson will bring in a ton of NBA scouts.
    10. Jackson Grant is going to be a good change up option for Wilson, but for him to be that enforcer big, who is going to do the dirty work for Wilson is not too realistic. I think he'll be good to back up Wilson and play 10-15 minutes at the four, if Wilson plays 25-30 minutes, plus some minutes at the five, backing up the guy they've yet to get.
    11. If Hop can get Fuller or a cool younger guard, he then absolutely needs two bigs with the space he has left. A big wide guy to take fouls away from Wilson, collect easy buckets, set picks and just be big and ugly is what's needed. If you got one of those, adding a guy who can score inside effectively, as a second option there in case Wilson gets hurt (scary) would be the best case scenario.
    12. If that second big is Fresno's Bryson Williams from UTEP, who Pondexter is rumored to have great connections to, that would provide the best case scenario. Wilson, a big guy to play opposite him to do the dirty work, an effective, proven inside scorer with range in Williams, a dynamic freshman big to give you extra energy, but who you don't need to pressure, plus Roberts competing with the dirty work guy for minutes.
    13. The successful rotation, contrary to those who think Grant is some kind of savior, is Wilson, a big veteran to do the dirty work along with Roberts and a proven inside scorer with range like Williams. Grant gets a chance to acclimate himself to D1 at his own pace and be brought along slowly if necessary. If Grant's that good he'll get minutes. If not, no shame to contribute more towards the end of the season, leading up to a ton of minutes in 2022-23.
    14. Wyking is probably going with Hop to Syracuse. Pondexter wants to get into coaching and sees this as an opportunity to show his stuff. QPon seems to have good relationships and connections to talent. He may be a good fit to keep at UW once Hop is gone.
    15. Not sure what is best for Conroy. Who gets an assistant coaching job at a high major as their first coaching job, who isn't a big-time NBA guy? It's hard to know what he does for the program, but his loyalty to UW is admirable. Maybe he'll also find a way to stick with a new regime. I'd love to see either Travis Decuire or Brandon Roy as the next head coach at UW. An incredible combination would be the two of them together, with Quincy and one more guy, perhaps a big man guy, if that could happen. Like it was said at Michigan once about the head football coaching job, "A Michigan man for a Michigan team." Change the state to Washington in this case and please no Zags, Ducks or guys who can't do what Romar did with Seattle-Tacoma kids.

Scholarship picture:

1. Daejon Sr.
    2. Terrell Sr.
    3. Fuller So. (if they can land him or hopefully another high quality and/or veteran combo guard or PG)
    4. Bey Jr.
    5. Penn Fr. RS
    6. Bajema So.
    7. Matthews Jr.
    8. Samuel Fr. RS
    10. Roberts So.
    11. Grant Fr.
    12. Big who can score

I think it also needs to be said that the new transfer rules favor UW. If I'm a kid who left home for a big factory school in some lame town like Lexington KY or Lawrence KS, I'm not one and done and playing hoops and doing farm girls, while not actually going to class is dawning on me as not a great career plan, a school as remarkable as UW and a town as attractive as Seattle have a lot to be offered. This can be a reasonably quick re-build from the Hop disaster and the horrid Romar firing blunder, with a staff who can capture the respect of the local community. Other excellent folks to consider are Tre Simmons, Jamaal Williams and Jamal Crawford. Even my old friend Ryan Appleby might be a smart person to consider. Apps understands shooting and is a team player.

Expand on point C, because it’s bullshit. Hop has had two trash years, probably a trash to mediocre year next year and you think Syracuse boosters are going to be beating down the door for him because... access??? LOL. Unless Hop makes the tourney next year there is no chance in hell Syracuse hires him if the rest of your hypothetical pans out. Even if he does make the tourney it’s highly unlikely.

@Shenexon ?!?!?
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Scholarship picture:

1. Daejon Sr.
    2. Terrell Sr.
    4. Bey Jr.
    5. Penn Fr. RS
    6. Bajema So.
    7. Matthews Jr.
    8. Samuel Fr. RS
    10. Roberts So.
    11. Grant Fr.
    12. Big who can score

Expand on point C, because it’s bullshit. Hop has had two trash years, probably a trash to mediocre year next year and you think Syracuse boosters are going to be beating down the door for him because... access??? LOL. Unless Hop makes the tourney next year there is no chance in hell Syracuse hires him if the rest of your hypothetical pans out. Even if he does make the tourney it’s highly unlikely.

@Shenexon ?!?!?
    EVERYONE IN THE GAME FROM ANCHORAGE TO MIAMI KNOWS THIS

except Basnight.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

Learn how to put in spacers ... it’s the little things that matter in the TL, DR space

Kim, you're not my editor or my publisher. I'll style my posts the way I want. You run your site with sock puppets running around slandering me for coming up on two decades. Why do you have to come here and manipulate everything on this site, like you do on your private spin factory, as you kiss up to Cohen and her yes men.
    You sound triggered
  • JimBasnightJimBasnight Member Posts: 14
    Tequilla said:

Learn how to put in spacers ... it’s the little things that matter in the TL, DR space

I'd also like to take this time to thank you for all of your harassment and internet tough guy attacks. The skills I learned from that experience came in handy in my next gig as a blues biography and researcher. Blues "snobs" are equally defensive of their self importance. They are always harassing and looking for any little fault that they can focus, while you go about doing solid work that they are not doing. You really helped me get to where I am, preparing to publish a wonderful biography. Thank you.
  • JimBasnightJimBasnight Member Posts: 14

Will Conroy needs to go elsewhere and get mentored. People do realize he's been involved with this debacle through two failed head coaches, right? At what point does he lose the immunity idol?

If he's serious about being a coach, get on a staff somewhere else and outside the echo chamber of the Garfield/UW/Seattle AAU echo chamber.

Dick suckers like @JimBasnight have created this urban myth Conroy is irreplaceable or some magic key to the Seattle riches.

Fuck off, Jim.

Romar was not a failed coach. He was by a good bit the most successful head coach at UW, eclipsing Harshman (though I love Marv too). You're tough guy internet talk makes you look smaller, not bigger BTW. "The Garfield/UW/Seattle/AAU echo chamber" sounds like a dog whistle frankly.

This sounds mysteriously like the guys who were trying to tell me that Gerry McNamara would be a better UW recruit than MPJ. Just preposterous. Conroy would do well to pay more dues and his ability to sustain Romar's success in the living rooms of Seattle/Tacoma kid's parents and advisors has not proven to be as effective as I'd like to have seen.

But Will is a good and loyal guy and has achieved some experience in the process. I like the idea of him proving he can coach in a different situation and I've said so publicly, but he could also be a big asset someday for UW too.

He is the all-time assist guy who can be a good teacher in a system which can recruit guards. Frankly, I think bringing in Daejon and Terrell is a good opportunity for him to demonstrate that and I feel he's got a very good shot at doing so.

Tequilla said:

I'd also like to take this time to thank you for all of your harassment and internet tough guy attacks. The skills I learned from that experience came in handy in my next gig as a blues biography and researcher. Blues "snobs" are equally defensive of their self importance. They are always harassing and looking for any little fault that they can focus, while you go about doing solid work that they are not doing. You really helped me get to where I am, preparing to publish a wonderful biography. Thank you.
    You must not laugh much

Will Conroy needs to go elsewhere and get mentored. People do realize he's been involved with this debacle through two failed head coaches, right? At what point does he lose the immunity idol?

If he's serious about being a coach, get on a staff somewhere else and outside the echo chamber of the Garfield/UW/Seattle AAU echo chamber.

Dick suckers like @JimBasnight have created this urban myth Conroy is irreplaceable or some magic key to the Seattle riches.

Fuck off, Jim.

Romar was not a failed coach. He was by a good bit the most successful head coach at UW, eclipsing Harshman (though I love Marv too). You're tough guy internet talk makes you look smaller, not bigger BTW. "The Garfield/UW/Seattle/AAU echo chamber" sounds like a dog whistle frankly.

This sounds mysteriously like the guys who were trying to tell me that Gerry McNamara would be a better UW recruit than MPJ. Just preposterous. Conroy would do well to pay more dues and his ability to sustain Romar's success in the living rooms of Seattle/Tacoma kid's parents and advisors has not proven to be as effective as I'd like to have seen.

But Will is a good and loyal guy and has achieved some experience in the process. I like the idea of him proving he can coach in a different situation and I've said so publicly, but he could also be a big asset someday for UW too.

He is the all-time assist guy who can be a good teacher in a system which can recruit guards. Frankly, I think bringing in Daejon and Terrell is a good opportunity for him to demonstrate that and I feel he's got a very good shot at doing so.
    @PurpleThrobber

I hope you are taking notes from a noted Internet tough guy on how to be an Internet tough guy
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited May 2021
    Tequilla said:

Fuck off, Jim.

@PurpleThrobber

I hope you are taking notes from a noted Internet tough guy on how to be an Internet tough guy
    Basnight is a dipshit. Why would I give a fuck what he thinks?

Dog whistle my Dick, Jim. Sycophant.

Was only a matter of time until he went to that bag ... he’s quick to do so

Imagine how much he would lose his shit if someone called out his displeasure with Jen being because of reasons other than her job performance?