Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

For the Bitcoin Bros - $400,000 in 2021?

creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
Now, with many bitcoin and crypto analysts trying to call where the market top will be, a Bloomberg analyst has predicted the bitcoin price could hit $400,000 this year—even as Musk seems more interested in "joke" bitcoin rival dogecoin.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billybambrough/2021/04/08/bitcoin-price-prediction-why-bitcoin-could-rocket-to-400000-in-2021/?sh=77443b5b27a3

Also,

The precise cause of the early Saturday morning bitcoin price surge was not immediately clear, however, a cryptic tweet from Tesla TSLA +0.1% billionaire and bitcoin-buyer Elon Musk has spurred the $2 trillion cryptocurrency market higher.

"... going to moon very soon," Musk said via Twitter, shortly after the bitcoin price jumped, perhaps referencing the popular "bitcoin to the moon" meme and sparking speculation Musk's rocket company SpaceX could follow Tesla in adding bitcoin to its balance sheet.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billybambrough/2021/04/10/moon-very-soon-cryptic-elon-musk-spurs-bitcoin-on-as-price-suddenly-blasts-past-60000-and-ethereum-hits-fresh-high/?sh=7150f33b4e0a

The bet is almost elegantly simple. You're not reading a balance or evaluating a business. You have $60,000 to invest - I do - and you throw it into this thing and basically cross your fingers.

Can someone talk me into, or out of, this?

@greenblood ???

Comments

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    The price of it is so high that you have to put a ton of money in it to make much off of it. I bought some the other day (very small amount) more as a hedge on what's going on with the USD and concern about global currency, etc.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited April 2021

Now, with many bitcoin and crypto analysts trying to call where the market top will be, a Bloomberg analyst has predicted the bitcoin price could hit $400,000 this year—even as Musk seems more interested in "joke" bitcoin rival dogecoin.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billybambrough/2021/04/08/bitcoin-price-prediction-why-bitcoin-could-rocket-to-400000-in-2021/?sh=77443b5b27a3

Also,

The precise cause of the early Saturday morning bitcoin price surge was not immediately clear, however, a cryptic tweet from Tesla TSLA +0.1% billionaire and bitcoin-buyer Elon Musk has spurred the $2 trillion cryptocurrency market higher.

"... going to moon very soon," Musk said via Twitter, shortly after the bitcoin price jumped, perhaps referencing the popular "bitcoin to the moon" meme and sparking speculation Musk's rocket company SpaceX could follow Tesla in adding bitcoin to its balance sheet.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billybambrough/2021/04/10/moon-very-soon-cryptic-elon-musk-spurs-bitcoin-on-as-price-suddenly-blasts-past-60000-and-ethereum-hits-fresh-high/?sh=7150f33b4e0a

The bet is almost elegantly simple. You're not reading a balance or evaluating a business. You have $60,000 to invest - I do - and you throw it into this thing and basically cross your fingers.

Can someone talk me into, or out of, this?

@greenblood ???

I want to pull the trigger but I can't. I just can't.

Bought some COIN this morning. They have 12% of the crypto market and make 0.5% per transaction. Their share of the market is expected to grow. Risks: Crypto market collapses. More competition enters the space drives the transaction fee lower.

Investment thesis. $2.2 trillion market and growing. First mover advantage and already profitable. $3B+ net 2021 income if they match the first quarter. Disrupter and backed by a lot of smart rich people.
  • Options

The price of it is so high that you have to put a ton of money in it to make much off of it. I bought some the other day (very small amount) more as a hedge on what's going on with the USD and concern about global currency, etc.

If it goes up to 400? What odds do we? need for that to happen before you roll $60,000? Unless I'm misunderstanding ... you need $60k for one bitcoin, right?
  • Options

Did you buy from Coinbase?
  • Options

I was so convinced crypto was this generation’s tulip craze. I’m kicking myself for not buying a little early on just for funsies.

Fuck me and my overly conservative investment strategies.

I told you in the other thread that I was in. Time and place sweet cheeks.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Baseman said:

Did you buy from Coinbase?
    Yes, and if that was a bad idea please be nice because I am just now dipping my toe in to the investment game. This is the most interesting bored on this site for me right now even though I don't understand half of the acronyms and hawt talk being passed around.
  • Options
    Founders Club

If it goes up to 400? What odds do we? need for that to happen before you roll $60,000? Unless I'm misunderstanding ... you need $60k for one bitcoin, right?
    Yeah, $60+k right now for one coin. If I had a million in the bank $60k would still be too big a risk to me. I don't have the funds to do much gambling versus long-term security right now.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

You can buy fractional coins. Enter the amount you want to buy and the app will show you the amount you're $ will buy. If you do it on Coinbase they'll take a 0.5% fee. I don't know if other venues charge fees. Coinbase appears to be the Crypto platform for dummies. Safe and easy to use. So, I'm told.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,825
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

You can buy fractional coins. Enter the amount you want to buy and the app will show you the amount you're $ will buy. If you do it on Coinbase they'll take a 0.5% fee. I don't know if other venues charge fees. Coinbase appears to be the Crypto platform for dummies. Safe and easy to use. So, I'm told.
    If I can do it, @FireCohen can do it.

Very easy. Interface is a little clunky but I’m sure it’ll get better.
  • Options
    BuffBuffPassBuffBuffPass Member Posts: 322
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Bitcoins are divisible up to 8 decimal places. 0.00000001 BTC is called a satoshi, or a sat for short, after the pseudonym of the creator. A lot of Bitcoiners just set a monthly buy of x number of satoshis and call it "stacking sats".

As for the article, it's possible but unlikely IMO. Bambrough is the worst kind of Bitcoin journalist. Basically pure clickbait.
  • Options
    BuffBuffPassBuffBuffPass Member Posts: 322
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Yeah, $60+k right now for one coin. If I had a million in the bank $60k would still be too big a risk to me. I don't have the funds to do much gambling versus long-term security right now.

This is what people misunderstand. Bitcoin is the long term safety net. It's the hedge against countries with insane monetary policies, including ours. At a minimum it will continue to eat gold's market share of the store of value market but it's the hedge against the psychotic MMT promoters too.
  • Options
    Baseman said:

You read my mind. I drafted that question and didn't hit "Post Comment" before being distracted on something else. So you can wade into the pool. Good to know.
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,095
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

You sound poor.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    MelloDawg said:

You sound poor.
    Trying way too hard, band fag.
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,095

MelloDawg said:

You sound poor.
    Trying way too hard, band fag.
    Or not trying hard enough.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam

I was so convinced crypto was this generation’s tulip craze. I’m kicking myself for not buying a little early on just for funsies.

Same. I had a friend go in heavy in 2017 but I thought it was too late because it was already mainstream. He told me I would regret not buying some. I was taught or at least self taught to think that once the average Joe finds out about something it’s too late.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Same. I had a friend go in heavy in 2017 but I thought it was too late because it was already mainstream. He told me I would regret not buying some. I was taught or at least self taught to think that once the average Joe finds out about something it’s too late.
    I keep praying to the financial gods that I’ll just blunder my way into something on big on the ground floor like a lot of these rich assholes.

One of the wealthiest people I know admitted to me, “yes, I worked hard...but a lot of it was just being lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.”
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,910
    Founders Club

I made my first purchase two days ago. Same rationale.