Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2021
    Hmmm......

Almost contrary to what my boots on the ground folk in China are saying. Almost exactly opposite of what Obi Wan Blitzkrieg is saying.

My people's are saying Xi is rooting out the corrupt CCP members and is set on returning China to an Empire/very pro-capitalism (authoritarian model with Xi as the Emperor but still) - The corrupt CCP members are shitting their pants at what is going down. Xi looking to bring Taiwan back into the family.

True communism isn't his angle.

• Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    This was way too vague to fully interpret. So the "CCP is coming for everything" angle I think is something most of us already widely accept. But based on his conversations are pro-CCP folks more concerned about the long-term stability of China with Xi's regime and that he's becoming reckless? Or are they saying he's so powerful and oppressive that they fear a worldwide ushering-in of a Chinese dystopian nightmare?
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    edited March 2021

This was way too vague to fully interpret. So the "CCP is coming for everything" angle I think is something most of us already widely accept. But based on his conversations are pro-CCP folks more concerned about the long-term stability of China with Xi's regime and that he's becoming reckless? Or are they saying he's so powerful and oppressive that they fear a worldwide ushering-in of a Chinese dystopian nightmare?

I took it as they are scared Xi is leading them into either a world war or a complete economic isolation in his personal quest to have China rule the world and run over everyone internally or externally to get there. I also think the ChiCom Card-Carrying Communists have a optimistic view of the West's backbone and Xi probably has a more accurate one (as recent events show but that leads to a Tug discussion)...

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,082
    Founders Club
    edited March 2021
    The CCP is meddling/investing/strong-arming in Africa, the Panama Canal, South America and throughout Asia and Australia. I would fully expect them to take Taiwan before the 2022 mid-term elections. I think they are a vampire sucking the resources out of every region they can.

The USA is in a position to stop them right now by blockading choke points in the South China Sea. This would cripple something like 80% of their trade. But we're too compromised probably to take such a bold stand. China and Russia are in talks right now as to no longer relying on the US dollar, since we are printing so much money that we're devaluing our own currency.

It's a bleak situation on several fronts.

But if S-1 goes through none of that will matter as much anyway. We will completely fuck ourselves long before the CCP pile drives America into the geopolitical canvas.
  • Options

The CCP is meddling/investing/strong-arming in Africa, the Panama Canal, South America and throughout Asia and Australia. I would fully expect them to take Taiwan before the 2022 mid-term elections. I think they are a vampire sucking the resources out of every region they can.

The USA is in a position to stop them right now by blockading choke points in the South China Sea. This would cripple something like 80% of their trade. But we're too compromised probably to take such a bold stand. China and Russia are in talks right now as to no longer relying on the US dollar, since we are printing so much money that we're devaluing our own currency.

But if S-1 goes through none of that will matter as much anyway. We will completely fuck ourselves long before the CCP pile drives America into the geopolitical canvas.

Obi Wan said there'd be days like this.....

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2021

USA never done that before as a country right?
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes

FireCohen said:

Yeah that's right.

That's how Japan has done so well since we defeated them.

That's how Germany has done so well since we beat them.

That's how we didn't take all the oil out of Iraq when we could have

That's how South Korea is grateful to America for helping them so much after the "conflict" against the North

• Options

FireCohen said:

Yeah that's right.

That's how South Korea is grateful to America for helping them so much after the "conflict" against the North

Just sprung a red, white and blue stiffy.

brb, jo.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,407
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Taiwan has begun mass production of a long-range missile and is developing three other models, a senior official said Thursday, in a rare admission of efforts to develop strike capacity amid growing Chinese pressure.

China, which claims democratic Taiwan as its own territory, has stepped up military activity near the island, as it tries to force the government in Taipei to accept Beijing's claims of sovereignty.

Taiwan's armed forces, dwarfed by China's, are in the midst of a modernization program to offer a more effective deterrent, including the ability to hit back at bases deep within China in the event of a conflict.

Taking lawmaker questions in parliament, Taiwan Defence Minister Chiu Kuo-cheng said developing a long-range attack capability was a priority.

"We hope it is long-range, accurate, and mobile," he said, adding research on such weapons by the state-owned National Chung-Shan Institute of Science and Technology had "never stopped."

Read more: Taiwan Reveals It Is Producing Long-Range Missiles | Newsmax.com
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,746
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Damn Derek. Some of your better stuff.

What's the real downside of the US playing hardball with China beyond the occasional international trade tantrum? Blockades are the kind of thing that can presage war. Blockades happen in the "not fucking around anymore" context, where you have your finger at the ready on the big buttons.
  • Options

FireCohen said:

This is the "equivalence" insanity that will ruin us...
    The current generation, Millennial, and even Gen X were raised on it.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

FireCohen said:

Yeah that's right.

The USA is the single most kind conqueror in the history of the world. Even consider @Swaye , who we treated terribly, but consider this: throughout human history, what has become of the conquered? They become the vanquished. We? are the only ones I can think of who even made an attempt at an "I'm sorry" with the natives. Everywhere else, it was (1) you're wiped out or (2) you become one of us now or we wipe you out. Consider the kid gloves the Spanish used in dealing with the natives in central merica and Mexico.

You are right. The USA has a flawed history like every other country. But compared to most, we've been Charmin soft with those we've overrun, and we've tended to overrun others for pretty good reason.

My take.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

FireCohen said:

Yeah that's right.

The USA is the single most kind conqueror in the history of the world. Even consider @Swaye , who we treated terribly, but consider this: throughout human history, what has become of the conquered? They become the vanquished. We? are the only ones I can think of who even made an attempt at an "I'm sorry" with the natives. Everywhere else, it was (1) you're wiped out or (2) you become one of us now or we wipe you out. Consider the kid gloves the Spanish used in dealing with the natives in central merica and Mexico.

You are right. The USA has a flawed history like every other country. But compared to most, we've been Charmin soft with those we've overrun, and we've tended to overrun others for pretty good reason.

My take.
    Would you say that we've been.......mostly peaceful conquerers?
  • Options

FireCohen said:

Yeah that's right.

My take.
    Would you say that we've been.......mostly peaceful conquerers?
    I would say, mostly peaceful conquerors, yes. Mostly peaceful. At least relative to other conquerors. Think of the USA as the Finance Board of conquerors and other conquering nations as the Tug of conquerors. Like that kind of different.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,515
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

FireCohen said:

“Putin is a killer”

“There are a lot of killers. What, you think our country is so innocent?”
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,515
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

FireCohen said:

Hard disagree as a millennial.

I think there’s a massive middle ground between the far left “America is an evil empire” and the far right “America can do no wrong” thats falls somewhere along the lines of “America’s past has bad spots, as do most other countries, but because were a better country than them we are able to acknowledge our faults and strive to correct without pointing fingers at others”.

Real leaders don’t make comparisons to obviously worse places to justify incorrect actions.
  • Options
    ntxduck said:

FireCohen said:

Hard disagree as a millennial.

I think there’s a massive middle ground between the far left “America is an evil empire” and the far right “America can do no wrong” thats falls somewhere along the lines of “America’s past has bad spots, as do most other countries, but because were a better country than them we are able to acknowledge our faults and strive to correct without pointing fingers at others”.

Real leaders don’t make comparisons to obviously worse places to justify incorrect actions.
    That reads like a mild disagree. You can’t go throwing out hard disagrees Willy nilly.

I take your point. Those are the centrists. Like me. We take enthusiastic American Exceptionalism and Divine Providence and all that with a grain of reality salt.

But still

The history of the world is brutal and dark. The US is the light.
  • Options
    @RaceBannon is going to pull out the rule book here pretty soon.