Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What I don't understand about the upcoming Trump trial

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,350 Founders Club
1. Trump isn't in office. An impeachment trial is unconstitutional. So what gives?
2. Since when is a defendant given two weeks to prepare a defense?
3. Why is this being allowed to happen?

Comments

• SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,077 Standard Supporter
    No due process in the house either. Banana republic bullshit but that's what commies do!
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,350 Founders Club
    Goduckies said:

Because the democrats run both houses. Even if convicted (he won't be) it means nothing since Roberts won't preside over it. So if Trump were to run in 2024, the democrats would have to sue to stop him and it gets thrown out. Dumb move to keep pushing by the dems, especially with Roberts bowing out.

Do you think the Dems are trying to maintain the public outrage? Or some other reason?
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726
    edited January 2021
    Imagine wasting your time with this bullshit as the country continues to burn in 50ft flames. They clearly want nothing more than to destroy this country. Not to mention celebs getting into twitter wars with politicians. Seth Rogen blasts Ted Cruz with FUCK YO FASCIST. Way to go Seth. Brilliant take and highly productive.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,664 Standard Supporter
    Due process in the house is just a majority

The Senate needs 2/3 to convict

It means nothing until settled in court since this is the first time trying it.

The Supreme Court might just let it stand if he is convicted -

I believe the rumor that Roberts did not want to touch any of the Trump Election stuff because he was afraid of riots. That will also chinfluence this if it gets that far
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,298
    What part of “overwhelm the news cycle” do you not understand?
  • WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 15,006 Standard Supporter
    LebamDawg said:

I believe the rumor that Roberts did not want to touch any of the Trump Election stuff because he was afraid of riots. That will also chinfluence this if it gets that far

I'll disagree. Due process is following the Constitution. Must have a finding of a high Crime or misdemeanor based on the evidence and not the politics. Just like the dazzler couldn't cite the crime that Trump committed the first time. There is no evidence of a crime this time. Second, the impeachment process is to constitutionally remove a president (and others) from office. No office, no impeachment.

LebamDawg said:

I'll disagree. Due process is following the Constitution. Must have a finding of a high Crime or misdemeanor based on the evidence and not the politics. Just like the dazzler couldn't cite the crime that Trump committed the first time. There is no evidence of a crime this time. Second, the impeachment process is to constitutionally remove a president (and others) from office. No office, no impeachment.
    if that was true they could not have impeached him. They can do what they want - the Senate is more logical and have never convicted a president of the stupid charges coming out of the House.

There is impeached and never a conviction so far in our illustrious, albeit confusing, history
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,526 Standard Supporter
    Drive for show, putt for dough.

The Democrats version of big tires on a pick up truck.

Overcompensating.

• HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 20,358
    This isn’t the first impeachment to take place after an official has left office. As for “high crimes”, there was no US Code. It referred to betrayal of the Constitution, one’s oath of office, the country, or all the above. We watched Daddy’s criminal acts in real time. But the GOP can convict him or not. I don’t think it matters much whether he is barred from running again.
    Here is a good article on how undecided/undetermined the impeachment process really is - Look at the quote from Gerald Ford that states the house can do what they want (in much more fanciful language) but is not accepted by a majority of scholars.

That was one of the arguments in Trump's impeachment that the house made it appear possible that the President holds office at the whims of the house. The house is basically doing the same thing again imho -

What I get out of this is the House can run loosy goosy rules and the Senate is more tightly controlled by process

https://www.findlaw.com/litigation/legal-system/presidential-impeachment-the-legal-standard-and-procedure.html
  • NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    HHusky said:

This isn’t the first impeachment to take place after an official has left office. As for “high crimes”, there was no US Code. It referred to betrayal of the Constitution, one’s oath of office, the country, or all the above. We watched Daddy’s criminal acts in real time. But the GOP can convict him or not. I don’t think it matters much whether he is barred from running again.

Let’s see some examples. Nobody is just going to believe you.
    LebamDawg said:

LebamDawg said:

if that was true they could not have impeached him. They can do what they want - the Senate is more logical and have never convicted a president of the stupid charges coming out of the House.

There is impeached and never a conviction so far in our illustrious, albeit confusing, history
    What was the due process in the impeachment? What crime was discussed and then voted on? A crooked DA can make up a fake arrest warrant and make an arrest. That isn't due process. The dems charged Citizen's United for making a movie. A clear violation of the First Amendment. Yet, four dem Supreme Court judges voted that it did not.

HHusky said:

Let’s see some examples. Nobody is just going to believe you.
    I only know of one example.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851
    Its completely absurd. Like of all the times in the past 100 years for politicians to actually do shit they are playing at impeaching a dude who's not even there. Lol
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,298
    So 5 days into DNC complete control and the president is busy writing unconstitutional legislation and the congress is busy conducting unconstitutional prosecution

Tell me again how the right is unhinged?

Worth a thousand words, I'm told.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,468 Founders Club
    HHusky said:

Worth a thousand words, I'm told.
    False flag
    Looks like a mostly peaceful assembly. Not seeing a lot of molotov cocktails like you antifa and BLM buddies.