Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Official final Debate game thread

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,845
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    edited October 2020

https://peckford42.wordpress.com/2019/08/09/one-wind-turbine-takes-900-tons-of-steel-2500-tons-of-concrete-45-tons-of-plastic/

One Wind Turbine Takes 900 Tons of Steel , 2500 Tons Of Concrete , 45 Tons of Plastic!

AUGUST 9, 2019 / BRIANPECKFORD
    From WSJ

If You Want ‘Renewable Energy,’ Get Ready to Dig

By Mark P. Mills
    Aug. 5, 2019 6:48 pm ET

Democrats dream of powering society entirely with wind and solar farms combined with massive batteries. Realizing this dream would require the biggest expansion in mining the world has seen and would produce huge quantities of waste.

“Renewable energy” is a misnomer. Wind and solar machines and batteries are built from nonrenewable materials. And they wear out. Old equipment must be decommissioned, generating millions of tons of waste.

The International Renewable Energy Agency calculates that solar goals for 2050 consistent with the Paris Accords will result in old-panel disposal constituting more than double the tonnage of all today’s global plastic waste.

Consider some other sobering numbers:

A single electric-car battery weighs about 1,000 pounds. Fabricating one requires digging up, moving and processing more than 500,000 pounds of raw materials somewhere on the planet. The alternative? Use gasoline and extract one-tenth as much total tonnage to deliver the same number of vehicle-miles over the battery’s seven-year life.

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,655
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Wind and solar can't do it. We are covering large areas with solar panels that get really hot. Global warming? Kali has solar panels galore, solar plants etc. and blackouts, rolling blackouts, brownouts and not enough fucking electricity.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    edited October 2020
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,452
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    RoadTrip said:

Undecided on candidate yeah. But many that are on the fence about voting at all

Voting for Trump in my county is like yelling in the wind basically. Hillary beat Don by 210k votes last time around. It's quite possibly going to be an even bigger margin this time.

Undecided on candidate yeah. But many that are on the fence about voting at all

Voting for Trump in my county is like yelling in the wind basically. Hillary beat Don by 210k votes last time around. It's quite possibly going to be an even bigger margin this time.
    Fuck, when the civil war hits you'll have tons of fun
    I believe the technical term is “target rich environment”.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Biden seemed to think it was malarkey that wind kills birds and then mocked Trump for claiming wind causes cancer

Trump pointed out the toxic waste and greenhouse gas to manufacture and ship wind turbines. That kill birds bigly

Biden is his voters - dumb as a fucking rock on energy

I honestly think he literally doesn't "know" anything he wasn't specifically prepped for, and even that has to stay 100% on track or he gets lost.

It reminds me ... story tim with Creepy. I had a one year gig after school with the WSC, so state employee. When I left, I already had my fist kid and was inquiring about COBRA, because the law firm insurance wasn't so great, or so I thought. Sos I call the state whatever office, and it turns out they assign you to a particular state employee based on your last name. So I get to the right woman after about a week or two of leaving messages. I'm telling you this with not one scintilla of hyperbole: she could not answer a single question, or explain a single thing, about COBRA - and she's in Benefits - if it veered off of some form or application from which she was clearly reading. She had ZERO native understanding of it. I was, what, late 20s, didn't know shit about real life shit like health insurance, and in 5 minutes of talking to her found myself explaining things to her based on the little bit I did know and, you know, reasoning.

That is Biden. He gets prepped for a question. If the moderator or Trump take him off "the form" on that topic, he is completely fucked.

And this guy is going to handle shit in the Middle East the next time shit gets real? Lolz.
    He's not doing anything if elected aside from enjoying a pudding.
    True. He would be, from my reckoning, the most 'figurehead' POTUS in US history. 100% of the real work would be done by unelected cabinet appointees.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,655
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye said:

Sledog said:
    No one in "energy" is voting for Biden. Hth.
    Disagree. Know plenty. Self-hatred is not a good quality in folks...
    Anyone who is on board with net neutral emissions by 2025, or 35, or my lifetim, and is willing to live under the yoke of TGND, should be idenfied by senior management and fired from any self-respecting energy company forthwith.
    They're also extremely naive. How's that gonna even get pulled off from a logistical point of view?? They've been adding a lane to I-205 for the past 10 years and still aren't even close to done. But we're gonna somehow demo and rebuild god knows how many buildings AND transition our entire fleet of vehicles from combustion? To call it unrealistic isn't enough, it's extreme delusions at minimum.

By the way who's gonna do all this work? Not the guys who are capable and willing since most are retired or will be in the next few years. Not the 25-45 age range, there's a huge lack of numbers in that demographic due to the tech industry exploding during our youth. Then u got the new wave which has zero interest in any sort of physical work. My company literally recruits from high schools like the military. Start at $20/hr and after two weeks $22. Make it thru the first summer $25-26 with full benefits, even if ur lazy or can't learn, as long as u show up u can have that at age 18-19. We got 2 (one is a worthless piece of shit) to stick last year out of ~ 30. Got 0 this summer after our last hope quit cus the forest fire smoke was "hurting his eyes", and no he didn't come back the following week when it was gone. I shit u not, he decided to move to Bend to work at Dutch Bros with his gf.

It's similar for every trade right now and is gonna get worse in a hurry.
    Under reported issue

The tech boom and the worthless degree syndrome

An actual skill in the trades is a license to print money today and the path to your own business. Needs to be shouted from the mountain tops
    BIGLY. Uncle Race and I have had long philosophical talks on this. My Dad (RIP), who was a licensed Master Electrician (IBEW the works) for 50 years saw all this developing 20 years ago and the pay scales going up as the pool of certified and qualified applicants went down. He said "Son, one day in the not too distant future electricians are going to get lawyer pay, while lawyers get electrician pay." Smart man my Dad. We've got a billion ambulance chasers at 40 and below. We have a handful of Master Electricians. You do the math.

Before I retired from the Navy nuclear grade welders in the shipyards were making 200K a year because there aren't any of them and nobody even joins up in apprenticeship programs anymore. Way cooler to be a barista at Starbucks with your Che shirt on making 12 bucks an hour instead of getting dirty, spending years gaining serious skills, and making big money in the skilled labor trades for your troubles. Millennials are such faggots.
    Killing police work. Of course everyone only having Dazzler level common sense is the underlying problem to all this shit.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,558
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Swaye said:

Sledog said:
    Anyone who is on board with net neutral emissions by 2025, or 35, or my lifetim, and is willing to live under the yoke of TGND, should be idenfied by senior management and fired from any self-respecting energy company forthwith.
    They're also extremely naive. How's that gonna even get pulled off from a logistical point of view?? They've been adding a lane to I-205 for the past 10 years and still aren't even close to done. But we're gonna somehow demo and rebuild god knows how many buildings AND transition our entire fleet of vehicles from combustion? To call it unrealistic isn't enough, it's extreme delusions at minimum.

By the way who's gonna do all this work? Not the guys who are capable and willing since most are retired or will be in the next few years. Not the 25-45 age range, there's a huge lack of numbers in that demographic due to the tech industry exploding during our youth. Then u got the new wave which has zero interest in any sort of physical work. My company literally recruits from high schools like the military. Start at $20/hr and after two weeks $22. Make it thru the first summer $25-26 with full benefits, even if ur lazy or can't learn, as long as u show up u can have that at age 18-19. We got 2 (one is a worthless piece of shit) to stick last year out of ~ 30. Got 0 this summer after our last hope quit cus the forest fire smoke was "hurting his eyes", and no he didn't come back the following week when it was gone. I shit u not, he decided to move to Bend to work at Dutch Bros with his gf.

Under reported issue

An actual skill in the trades is a license to print money today and the path to your own business. Needs to be shouted from the mountain tops
    BIGLY. Uncle Race and I have had long philosophical talks on this. My Dad (RIP), who was a licensed Master Electrician (IBEW the works) for 50 years saw all this developing 20 years ago and the pay scales going up as the pool of certified and qualified applicants went down. He said "Son, one day in the not too distant future electricians are going to get lawyer pay, while lawyers get electrician pay." Smart man my Dad. We've got a billion ambulance chasers at 40 and below. We have a handful of Master Electricians. You do the math.

Before I retired from the Navy nuclear grade welders in the shipyards were making 200K a year because there aren't any of them and nobody even joins up in apprenticeship programs anymore. Way cooler to be a barista at Starbucks with your Che shirt on making 12 bucks an hour instead of getting dirty, spending years gaining serious skills, and making big money in the skilled labor trades for your troubles. Millennials are such faggots.
    One of my kids completed a 2 year program in the trades. He's making bank. Not massive bank yet - he's only a year or so into his career - but enough that he bought a new vehicle, can afford to pay for his food and housing and a moderate amount left over for some recreational intoxicants and the occasional hooker.

He'll be making almost double than his siblings within five years. Maybe more.

But but sociology and English Lit and history/poli-sci.

My daughters are 8 and 5. My wife and I have talked about trades for our daughters since they were born. Degrees from college are hardly worth what they are printed on. Electricians, plumbers, welders, mechanics, carpenters? Who cares. They make bank. Money talks and being women they can write their own ticket in the unions with a little want to and hard work. They will not be allowed to go to college, live at home and then tell me what a piece of shit I am for being white. Nope. Learn to do something, work with your hands and be creative while making a great living and not living in my house.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Biden seemed to think it was malarkey that wind kills birds and then mocked Trump for claiming wind causes cancer

Trump pointed out the toxic waste and greenhouse gas to manufacture and ship wind turbines. That kill birds bigly

I honestly think he literally doesn't "know" anything he wasn't specifically prepped for, and even that has to stay 100% on track or he gets lost.

It reminds me ... story tim with Creepy. I had a one year gig after school with the WSC, so state employee. When I left, I already had my fist kid and was inquiring about COBRA, because the law firm insurance wasn't so great, or so I thought. Sos I call the state whatever office, and it turns out they assign you to a particular state employee based on your last name. So I get to the right woman after about a week or two of leaving messages. I'm telling you this with not one scintilla of hyperbole: she could not answer a single question, or explain a single thing, about COBRA - and she's in Benefits - if it veered off of some form or application from which she was clearly reading. She had ZERO native understanding of it. I was, what, late 20s, didn't know shit about real life shit like health insurance, and in 5 minutes of talking to her found myself explaining things to her based on the little bit I did know and, you know, reasoning.

That is Biden. He gets prepped for a question. If the moderator or Trump take him off "the form" on that topic, he is completely fucked.

And this guy is going to handle shit in the Middle East the next time shit gets real? Lolz.
    True. He would be, from my reckoning, the most 'figurehead' POTUS in US history. 100% of the real work would be done by unelected cabinet appointees.
    And in a nutshell this is why I can’t vote for Biden
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    College degrees have value ...

But if you’re going through the motions and aren’t really good at the whole education thing ... you aren’t going to get magically better after graduation
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited October 2020

Swaye said:

Sledog said:

Under reported issue

One of my kids completed a 2 year program in the trades. He's making bank. Not massive bank yet - he's only a year or so into his career - but enough that he bought a new vehicle, can afford to pay for his food and housing and a moderate amount left over for some recreational intoxicants and the occasional hooker.

My daughters are 8 and 5. My wife and I have talked about trades for our daughters since they were born. Degrees from college are hardly worth what they are printed on. Electricians, plumbers, welders, mechanics, carpenters? Who cares. They make bank. Money talks and being women they can write their own ticket in the unions with a little want to and hard work. They will not be allowed to go to college, live at home and then tell me what a piece of shit I am for being white. Nope. Learn to do something, work with your hands and be creative while making a great living and not living in my house.
    I know we're on a roll here with this, and none of you are entirely wrong. But there are some pretty gross generalizations being bantied [sp?] about here with which I don't entirely agree.

I'm 7 mos. away from all three of mine being college educated, and with a clear mind have zero regrets about it. Oldest is employed and making good money and learning important job skills. The middle one turned down several good offers and is in grad school and I'm confident will be making more than I make in just a few years. The youngest is interviewing with firms now. Their majors are/were English, Pscyh/Econ, Astronomy/Physics, and the middle one is in grad school for applied mathematics and statistics.

I'm not shitting on the trades or what's been said here about them, but there are many good and well paying jobs you can't have w/o college. And for every college-educated underpaid barista, there is a 58 year old guy whose body is wearing out and struggling to keep doing his trade job. I'm guessin that most of them are not going to run their own business and have others do the work. It's a little more complicated than it seems and not everybody is cut out to do it.

And for daughters in particular, I'd think three times before sending them into the trades. Call me sexist. It's true; I am.
  • Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,870
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited October 2020
    Houhusky said:

You aren't wrong, but it wont be Biden handling anything.

Thats why there is a precarious alliance between all the factions of the left to prop him up, they think they will be the one to control him.

How do you end up with a candidate that both Wall street and economic radicals like Bernie Bros support?

Why do you think that the FBI, CIA, political generals love Biden over Trumps objectively successful foreign policy?

Kamala, AOC, BLM are salivating at the idea of an impotent "leader" they will be able to do anything in the name of racial justice.

Mega Corporations and liberals that are supposed to hate mega corporations both support Biden?

Big Tech loves that they are going to be asked to write their own legislation to control the industry with Biden.

Every country outside of Poland and Israel will be significantly happier with an impotent Biden and return to standard of ripping off American tax payers.
    I honestly dont think Kamala gives a fuck about racial justice. Her record shows that. It’s a means to power for her. The shit show is going to be the reconciliation between all these competing interests on the left, they all think they are going to be in charge when the dust settles. But inevitably some are going to be left out of having real authority, which is all they crave in the end.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072

#teamJoe
  • Options
    rustysavagerustysavage Member Posts: 942
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Swaye said:

Sledog said:

Under reported issue

I know we're on a roll here with this, and none of you are entirely wrong. But there are some pretty gross generalizations being bantied [sp?] about here with which I don't entirely agree.

I'm 7 mos. away from all three of mine being college educated, and with a clear mind have zero regrets about it. Oldest is employed and making good money and learning important job skills. The middle one turned down several good offers and is in grad school and I'm confident will be making more than I make in just a few years. The youngest is interviewing with firms now. Their majors are/were English, Pscyh/Econ, Astronomy/Physics, and the middle one is in grad school for applied mathematics and statistics.

I'm not shitting on the trades or what's been said here about them, but there are many good and well paying jobs you can't have w/o college. And for every college-educated underpaid barista, there is a 58 year old guy whose body is wearing out and struggling to keep doing his trade job. I'm guessin that most of them are not going to run their own business and have others do the work. It's a little more complicated than it seems and not everybody is cut out to do it.

And for daughters in particular, I'd think three times before sending them into the trades. Call me sexist. It's true; I am.
    True on all accounts, but the trades have an early retirement program for the guys who crap out too soon physically. it's called becoming an inspector, preferably for a crappy "city" like Longview or somethin.