Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Starter at QB for 2014 Hawai'i Opener

digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,418
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
Had we not gone through a coaching change, I think it would be a foregone conclusion that Miles would be the starter.

He looks to be a deceptively fast runner, with a decent arm, whose delivery needs work. But his anticipation, demeanor and mentality seemed solid and steady, pretty impressive for a RFr. QB, as he never really seemed to get too up or down, and managed the offense well. Everything I've seen would lead me to believe that Miles will be the starter.

Lindquist looked shaky under center, granted he took very few snaps and 0 pass attempts. I've heard Lindquist has a cannon for an arm, but I have no idea if true or not.

The wildcard is Troy Williams, who has not taken a gameday snap as a Husky due to redshirting last season, yet I've heard a few random people predict he'll be the starter. No idea what they're going off of there.

Does anyone have any insight or information you can glean on this? Curious as to why/where the Williams predictions are coming from.

Fuck I wish I was in Hawai'i right now.

Mahalo.

Comments

• Options
    DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I thought Troy Williams looked pretty good in the spring "game" last year, although I don't remember if he hit the crossbar or not. I'll have to check with Damone to confirm.

There's a lot to being a good QB than just throwing a good ball, so no one really knows whether or not Williams will beat out Miles.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,720
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I would guess that Troy Williams is the urban legend candidate that no one has seen so he's great. Now, he may be great, but who knows? MIles looked decent and with real coaching who knows? I suspect Peterman will coach them all up
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited January 2014
    Dardanus said:

I thought Troy Williams looked pretty good in the spring "game" last year, although I don't remember if he hit the crossbar or not. I'll have to check with Damone to confirm.

There's a lot to being a good QB than just throwing a good ball, so no one really knows whether or not Williams will beat out Miles.

How was his spiral?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    With the exception of Miles, we haven't seen either of the other QBs in a game situation other than the Spring Game.

What we know about Miles is that he's gained valuable experience this year, won a road game at Oregon State (and as a FYI, Keith Price's record in games he started as a road/neutral record as a starting QB was 5-13), and definitely looks like he should be an upgrade over Keith Price.

I was not impressed with Lindquist at all in the Spring Game. Didn't look like he had any touch on his throws, lacked some accuracy, and quite frankly didn't look like he had good command on the field. I would be surprised if he's in the discussion to start after the Spring.

The wildcard is Troy Williams. He looks like he has a stronger arm than Miles. He looks to me as if he has a bit of that "it" swagger that you want out of your QB ... at least it looks like he might have more of it than Miles does. I was very impressed with what I saw from him out of the Spring Game.

Miles is the default candidate to me. I personally think that Miles will be an upgrade over Price. If Williams beats out Miles, then that tells me that we're going to get a sizable upgrade. I'm not concerned about the turnover at QB.
  • Options
    DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I've also heard that Lindquist is as dumb as a stump DM.c staffer, FWIW.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Tequilla said:

With the exception of Miles, we haven't seen either of the other QBs in a game situation other than the Spring Game.

What we know about Miles is that he's gained valuable experience this year, won a road game at Oregon State (and as a FYI, Keith Price's record in games he started as a road/neutral record as a starting QB was 5-13), and definitely looks like he should be an upgrade over Keith Price.

I was not impressed with Lindquist at all in the Spring Game. Didn't look like he had any touch on his throws, lacked some accuracy, and quite frankly didn't look like he had good command on the field. I would be surprised if he's in the discussion to start after the Spring.

The wildcard is Troy Williams. He looks like he has a stronger arm than Miles. He looks to me as if he has a bit of that "it" swagger that you want out of your QB ... at least it looks like he might have more of it than Miles does. I was very impressed with what I saw from him out of the Spring Game.

Miles is the default candidate to me. I personally think that Miles will be an upgrade over Price. If Williams beats out Miles, then that tells me that we're going to get a sizable upgrade. I'm not concerned about the turnover at QB.

Disagree.

I think Miles' ability to run gives him a higher upside than Keif, but from what he's show so far he's got a long ways to go to match Price's value. I feel much better about our coaching than I did before, so I think it's very possible he gets there, but expecting him to be an upgrade is a bit much, IMO.

• Options
    Why do you hate results?

5-13 is 5 and fucking 13
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Williams has the most upside. Maybe he beats out Miles in 2015 and not this year.
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

The way I imagine it going is that Peterman is going to have to find the guy that Sark screwed up least. Like choosing the best sprinter among Chinese women who have had their feet bound.

The Chinese women reference is kinky. The new position coach and offensive coordinator has proclaimed the competition for starting QB to be completely wide open:

If we believe that game experience and what we saw from Sarkball this past season is relevant, it's obvious that Miles will step into the starting role at QB in 2014.

If we believe in the super hyperbole spewed by Dm.c Insiders during his recruitment and since his arrival at Montlake, then Williams must be the starter.

If we can accept little or none of what our eyes and ears tell us about the past, it's likely that Linquist will win the 2014 staring job at QB.

• Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

Sorry but no way Troy Williams will get a chance and you can thank our boring coach. He doesn't know how to reach out to these kids from the ghetto. He probably doesn't even know who Kanye West is. I will blame Pete for not being cool with the black kids once Troy Williams suddenly seniors.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,720
    Swaye's Wigwam

Had we not gone through a coaching change, I think it would be a foregone conclusion that Miles would be the starter.

He looks to be a deceptively fast runner, with a decent arm, whose delivery needs work. But his anticipation, demeanor and mentality seemed solid and steady, pretty impressive for a RFr. QB, as he never really seemed to get too up or down, and managed the offense well. Everything I've seen would lead me to believe that Miles will be the starter.

Lindquist looked shaky under center, granted he took very few snaps and 0 pass attempts. I've heard Lindquist has a cannon for an arm, but I have no idea if true or not.

The wildcard is Troy Williams, who has not taken a gameday snap as a Husky due to redshirting last season, yet I've heard a few random people predict he'll be the starter. No idea what they're going off of there.

Does anyone have any insight or information you can glean on this? Curious as to why/where the Williams predictions are coming from.

Fuck I wish I was in Hawai'i right now.

Mahalo.

You don't want to be in Hawaii now. Trust me. August is really the better time to go.
    As long as you get your golf vacation in Palm Springs in July
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

Why do you hate results?

5-13 is 5 and fucking 13

This just in:
    Keith Price was not the head coach. He also did not play special teams nor defense and he was not responsible for blocking for himself.

Keith was better at home than on the road, but his difference in home/road QB rating was about the same as Hogan's difference in 2013:
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/splits/_/id/482599/year/2013/keith-price
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/splits/_/id/516357/kevin-hogan

Why do you hate actual data about Keith Price?
    Price is certainly a fine college QB and with a good supporting cast, he can win you games. Is comparing him to Kevin Hogan really a great compliment? Hogan's coach minimizes what he has to do because he isn't very good. With a good QB, Stanford might have been playing for the title. I know Shaw is conservative by nature, but Hogan threw under 20 passes in 7 games.

Price was prone to wilting under pressure and when things got bad, they snowballed. 41st in the country in QBR (7th in the conference) last year in his "great season." That's not good enough, and in order to be a great team, the next QB will have to be better.

• Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited January 2014
    Tom Brady would wilt under pressure too if I had .4 seconds after every snap to make a decision before I got blasted by a defensive lineman.
  • Options
    So you're basically making an excuse for Price ...

He had plenty of time to be successful in just about every game this year (save for Arizona State) ...

The #1 thing about Price that I won't miss is his ability to turn right into a defender for a sack. It was like clockwork. The #2 thing I won't miss about Price is his ability to fumble the football without getting hit.