Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Chico Fraley's recent post on Facebook

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,422 Founders Club
(I like this post a lot. It's solid.)
----

"Over the last few weeks, I have been asked a lot of questions. I am paraphrasing a few:

- We don't "really" have racism in Bend, do we
- Have you had any bad run-ins with the police
- What can I do

We don't "really" have racism in Bend do we? I love where I live and, yes, we have racist people here that have said things to me and our family.
- I had some people yell nigger out of their car.
- At a party, someone once asked me did being black help my kids get into their schools? All my kids got into top ten schools for their fields. I took a deep breath getting ready to unload and before I started Rob Day jumped in with ''Are you fucking crazy, have you meet his kids?' The guy then stammered and uncomfortably left the group. My approach was going to be different, would have spouted my kid's resumes, and asked what do you think?
- Amy and I have been to every school my kids have ever attended for racist incidents. Two involved teachers from the Bend La Pine School District.

I have a great group of friends that may insulate me from some of the bullshit, but we have racism in Bend. From our first month here when a girl at McDonalds Play Land told CJ she didn't play with dirty, black kids to lunch last week when strangers felt entitled to discredit BLM right next to me.

Have you had any bad run-ins with the police? Yes, I have. I'm not going to list them out. Those are shitty memories that I don't like reliving. I am no saint, but when these things happened I was in the right. None of these incidents happened in Bend. Bend is the first place I was pulled over and didn't get a ticket. I am not anti-cop, I have friends that are policemen. Some of them going back to high school. I don't believe we can allow dangerous, ill-educated people on any police force.

What can I do?
- Educate yourself. It is really easy to find information right now. Amy and the girls suggest 13th.
- If you see something or hear something, say something. When - Rob spoke up and I didn't have to. I can and will stand up for myself, it let me continue on with my evening without being pissed or beating that guy's ass."

Comments

• NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    edited June 2020
    I’ll need to hear from HHutzky’s kids to confirm.

He should see how the Mexicans are treated in Bend.
  • SpoonieLuvSpoonieLuv Member Posts: 5,450
    Since we started summer vacationing in Bend in the mid-eighties I could count the number of black folk I’ve seen there on one hand.

If I could count.
    edited June 2020

Since we started summer vacationing in Bend in the mid-eighties I could count the number of black folk I’ve seen there on one hand.

If I could count.

I happened to be working in Bend and then skiing with the family 8 or so years ago amd one of the nights Snoop Dogg played there at some ballroom in their admittedly very fun downtown. I think half of Killingsworth was in Bend that night.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    I've seen a lot of former Dawgs post similar stories in the last month. Unless you're black, you just don't know what it's like.

I've seen a lot of former Dawgs post similar stories in the last month. Unless you're black, you just don't know what it's like.

And Mexicans. Don’t forget them.

Your side does unless they are illegals making slave wages.

Trump supporters too. They get beat up and fired from jobs for unknown reasons.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,946
    Serious question, if his kids are black did it help them get into their chosen school?

Of course it did, it certainly didn't hurt them. While that's not necessarily a question that should be brought up at a party does anyone want to claim that their skin color had no impact on their admissions?

Is the question itself racist? Certainly not very tactful, kind of rude, but until we eliminate Affirmative Action that question is always going to be there.

Btw, I have no idea who this guy is. I assume he is a UW football player off you're 1991-92 team. Did he play in the Pros? If he did, then that's also the point. Affirmative Action helps many black kids who already come from a privileged background, while it discriminates against whites and Asians who may have come from a far more disadvantaged background.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    edited June 2020
    Fetters did a good interview with Chico about 10 years ago. But im not sure why he gave @DerekJohnson a shout out at the end.

https://247sports.com/college/washington/Article/A-Visit-with-Former-Husky-Chico-Fraley-104593849/
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,543 Founders Club
    Jim Clifford was supposed to be Hoffman's running mate at linebacker but Chico beat him out and became a key part of the defense

James wanted to win more than playing a popular local white player

Jim Clifford was supposed to be Hoffman's running mate at linebacker but Chico beat him out and became a key part of the defense

Jim Owens frown.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    SFGbob said:

Serious question, if his kids are black did it help them get into their chosen school?

Of course it did, it certainly didn't hurt them. While that's not necessarily a question that should be brought up at a party does anyone want to claim that their skin color had no impact on their admissions?

Is the question itself racist? Certainly not very tactful, kind of rude, but until we eliminate Affirmative Action that question is always going to be there.

Btw, I have no idea who this guy is. I assume he is a UW football player off you're 1991-92 team. Did he play in the Pros? If he did, then that's also the point. Affirmative Action helps many black kids who already come from a privileged background, while it discriminates against whites and Asians who may have come from a far more disadvantaged background.

It probably did help. I don't think it benefits any conversation to pretend affirmative action isn't still in place, even if it's more subtle these days.

But what's your final calculus? You can put that one in the pro column next to a listful of cons that come with being black in America. I know I wouldn't trade marginally better odds in admissions with the lifetime of shit that black people have to put up with. Maybe your equation is different and you would. I won't pretend to know.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,422 Founders Club

True about James but also Clifford tore up his knee and was out a year. I recall he led Pac10 in tackles before injury
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,946

SFGbob said:

It probably did help. I don't think it benefits any conversation to pretend affirmative action isn't still in place, even if it's more subtle these days.

But what's your final calculus? You can put that one in the pro column next to a listful of cons that come with being black in America. I know I wouldn't trade marginally better odds in admissions with the lifetime of shit that black people have to put up with. Maybe your equation is different and you would. I won't pretend to know.
    First of all odds aren't marginally better. Affirmative Actions gives blacks and Hispanics a significant benefit and allows them to be admitted to elite universities with grades and test scores significantly lower than almost all white and Asian students.

Second of all, detail for me the lifetime of shit that black people have to put up with.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,976
    edited June 2020
    University of Chicago and Pomona ... the odds of it not helping are low. I'm sure they are smart and accomplished; so is everybody else who gets in to those schools.

We're not talking about a great state school that everybody knows about. Among the 100,000 or so who apply to Cal and UCLA are several kids who have no shot whatsoever, but when you apply to one UC, all you do is check one box to have your application sent to all the campuses. There are kids with 2.0 GPAs applying to Cal. Everybody applies to USC. Everybody in Michigan applies to Michigan. Everybody in Virginia applies to UVa, and so on. That denominator is replete with kids who should be thinking community college.

Those kids have never even heard of Pomona and likely Chicago. Or Middlebury or Amherst or Williams or Swarthmore. So that denominator is almost 100%, if not 100%, very, very accomplished kids with crazy stats. ANYTHING you can offer the school beyond being smart matters. The things that matter a lot are racial preferences and athletic recruiting (even at D3). If you have both, it's a huge leg up. Of course you need to be in the range stats-wise. Pomona and Chicago don't admit marginal students no matter what's going on.

These admissions hurdles are brutal brother. One of my kids graduated from one of those elite LACs in the New England. Middle 50th percentile scores hover around 33 to 34 on the ACT.

So, back to this. One kid at Chicago and one at Pomona? I'm sure they are quite accomplished and he should proud; but those are two very, very small windows to squeeze through, and racial preference is a hook that is only rivaled by athletic recruiting.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849

University of Chicago and Pomona ... the odds of it not helping are low. I'm sure they are smart and accomplished; so is everybody else who gets in to those schools.

We're not talking about a great state school that everybody knows about. Among the 100,000 or so who apply to Cal and UCLA are several kids who have no shot whatsoever, but when you apply to one UC, all you do is check one box to have your application sent to all the campuses. There are kids with 2.0 GPAs applying to Cal. Everybody applies to USC. Everybody in Michigan applies to Michigan. Everybody in Virginia applies to UVa, and so on. That denominator is replete with kids who should be thinking community college.

Those kids have never even heard of Pomona and likely Chicago. Or Middlebury or Amherst or Williams or Swarthmore. So that denominator is almost 100%, if not 100%, very, very accomplished kids with crazy stats. ANYTHING you can offer the school beyond being smart matters. The things that matter a lot are racial preferences and athletic recruiting (even at D3). If you have both, it's a huge leg up. Of course you need to be in the range stats-wise. Pomona and Chicago don't admit marginal students no matter what's going on.

These admissions hurdles are brutal brother. One of my kids graduated from one of those elite LACs in the New England. Middle 50th percentile scores hover around 33 to 34 on the ACT.

So, back to this. One kid at Chicago and one at Pomona? I'm sure they are quite accomplished and he should proud; but those are two very, very small windows to squeeze through, and racial preference is a hook that is only rivaled by athletic recruiting.

N

O

C
  • CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    IIRC, Clifford played baseball, as well.

Didn’t the Tigers draft him?
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,543 Founders Club

True about James but also Clifford tore up his knee and was out a year. I recall he led Pac10 in tackles before injury
    I forgot about the injury
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,976
    salemcoog said:

N

O

C
    Of course you don't. You're a coug. Obvious is obvious.