Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

BroadcastingDawg's Game Review and Grades - UW vs #16 Baylor

BroadcastingDawgBroadcastingDawg Member Posts: 1,245
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
edited November 2019 in Payton's Place
WHAT A HUGE WIN BABY.

These are the wins that matter. It might not seem like it now, but in March this win will show up as a Quad 1 win and will do wonders for our NCAA tourney chances and seeding. This is a game that is going to look really fucking good and I can't think of a better way to start a year. It's also a huge momentum builder to come back down double digits with less than 10 minutes to go against a top-tier, B12 team... just has to do wonders for the confidence of these guys going forward.

First Half: The game was super ugly for the Dawgs in the first half. It was turnovers galore... I believe as many as 15 turnovers in the half? Truth be told, all the Dawgs looked totally nervous in the first 20 minutes of the ballgame... understandable I guess as a lot of guys this was their first real action as "starters" of a big college basketball team in their careers. Really... our youth showed for a good majority of this game. There was a lot of stationary dribbling on the exterior of paint... a lot 1-on-1 dribbling that led to a lot of travels, offensive fouls and steals in favor of Baylor. A lot of travels told me the guys were just nervous because they were moving their feet before the dribble... It just seemed like there was a lot of overthinking... not much natural basketball being played and a lot of indecision on offense. They made an adjustment to get the ball inside to the bigs and it kept the Dawgs in the half. Baylor only had 5 fouls in the first half... that tells you UW wasn't aggressive, they didn't attempt any free throws and weren't doing enough driving to the hoop. Naz Carter was also huge from outside, we'll get to that later.

On defense it seemed like the intensity wasn't really there in the beginning. Baylor was out-hustling us on the boards and it led to a lot of open Baylor shooters on the perimeter. Baylor's first 12 points came off wide open 3-pointers where either the defender didn't close out or a guy ended up being wide open after the Dawgs found themselves out of position. Thankfully Baylor didn't have much of answer for the gap that we leave in our zone at the free-throw line... because if they had a capable mid-range shooter it might have gotten ugly. There was a bunch of hesitation from Baylor when they got the ball to the high-post... it led to some klanks from short distance and some blocks on the interior for UW. The Dawgs also made some adjustments in their perimeter D before the half was over... Hamier Wright had 3 blocks in the half and I believe 2 of them were on jump shots outside.

Second Half:

The freshman + Naz took over and their was a noticeable change in the intent and direction of the offense. 6 turnovers compared to 15 tells me the Dawgs were a lot more comfortable and had gotten over the initial goosebumps. There was a noted effort to drive the ball or get it inside to Stewart where he either tried to take his man or made a nice pass outside that led to a 3 or a free line to drive to the basket. It never seemed easy for the Dawgs on O... but when they were able to consistently get shots near the basket it completely changed the flow. The Dawgs got Baylor into immediate foul trouble in the second half by taking it to the bucket and thanks to Jaden McDaniels, hit some big free throws that kept them in the game when it was teetering on Baylor running away with it. Stewart, Jaden and Naz were 12-20 in the 2nd half... that's a good recipe for beating most teams.

For most of the 2nd half it seemed like the Dawgs would get within 7 points or so and Baylor would have a loose ball fall right in their hands for an easy bucket and it makes their offensive rebound total in the second half look inflated because there were a lot of klanks. There was a noted effort on the glass in the second half on both ends of the court for the Dawgs... you could tell Hop wasn't pleased and we were fighting for possessions off every miss. That said, the Dawg D continued to look a little hesitant until about the 8 minute mark in the game... and then it was like a rabid animal was unleashed. The energy shifted, all of a sudden the Dawgs were clogging passing lanes, deflecting passes, flustering Baylor, creating turnovers that led to transition buckets (forced 17 turnovers for Baylor) and man... IT WAS A BLOCK PARTY BABY. I counted as many as 9 blocks in the final 8 minutes of the game (the box score only counted 6, but I don't buy it)... Stewart and Hamier had 5 on their own and completely dominated the Baylor interior that had looked comfortable for a lot of the game. The change in passion and intensity on D changed the game and ultimately led to the win. If the Dawgs can play D like they did in the final 8 minutes of this game... holy God, we're going to be really, really good. This D has the potential to be the best in the country... we have so much length and Baylor was noticeably afraid to shoot when we picked it up. Baylor scored 105 pts in their first game... just 64 tonight... that says something.

Comments

• BroadcastingDawgBroadcastingDawg Member Posts: 1,245
    edited November 2019
    God this website is buggy. I'm just gonna link the stats if you want them:

https://baylorbears.com/boxscore.aspx?id=25294&path=mbball

edited November 2019
    Jamal Bey: B+
    3 PTS... 1-3 FG, 0-1 3PT, 2 assists, 1 defensive rebound, 2 steals

Seems like kind of a boring stat line right? Well... he only played 19 minutes... but I really loved the energy and hustle he brought to the defensive end of the court. It only showed up in the box score that he had 2 steals... but I swear he at least deflected 5 passes that ended in steals or denied an entry pass. I said it before the season that I thought he had the potential to be Mattise-like on D... I think he's earned more playing time going forward and I was thrilled with the energy and poise he played with.
  • ToddTurnerLIVESToddTurnerLIVES Member Posts: 438
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Agree on the lack of offensive flow. The same thing happened last year and then we got hot when we started moving the ball on offense. I actually like Elijah Hardy a little better than Quade Green from a "facilitator" perspective. I saw Hardy hold the ball at the top of the key and wait to pass until he could hit a guy who was in motion as opposed to passing to a guy standing stationary on the perimeter.
  • ToddTurnerLIVESToddTurnerLIVES Member Posts: 438
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    In the second half I think we were still playing 1 on 1 basketball but guys got hot. Naz, McDaniels and Stewart all settled in and started making shots. This team seems bought in on the defensive end.
    Hamier Wright C+
    6 PTs... 2-5 FG, 2-3 3PT, 1 assist, 4 boards, 4 defensive rebounds, 5 blocks, 4 turnovers

Oh Hamier. What do we do with you? How do you win Gatorade POY in New York without the ability to dribble, drive or control your body? Guys he's a total liability with the ball in his hands... so lets just take it out. He had 4 turnovers and frankly it looked worse than it was. He just has no feel for driving the line... he's off balance... it's all bad. So what do we need him to be? We need him to hit 3's and play defense. He should not be allowed to drive into the paint going forward... either he shoots from the outside or he passes the ball. PLEASE. On defense he was nuts. 5 blocks... can't beat that and that's why you can't take him off the floor. His offensive ability is just woeful.
  • GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Those refs though fuk em
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Gwad said:

Those refs though fuk em

They saved our assses down the stretch.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Green looks a lot like Gaddy

The offense is still basically the same iso low block with Stewart instead of Dickerson

If that’s not working we do the same nowell ISO guard drive with limited movement/kick out 3 threat.

The court still felt really small at times, and that’s going to hurt them in more than a couple games.

Defense obvious step back without Thybulle but can now mix to man to shake things up and more athletic down low instead of trying to flop take a charge every time.

McDaniels, with his length, could be really good in that middle zone area where so Thybulle got so many of his steals and blocks from behind, but you can tell he hasn’t figured out yet.

Hop was pretty regularly trying to get the middle of the zone big man up on top of the charge circle more to help close that space now that Thybulle is gone.

Naz looked like he has continued to improve which is huge.

Bey still looks pretty meh but it’s whatever, he’s not losing games

At some point in the season we are going to use wright to break a full court press and it’s going to drive me insane. If he can just be Gant that would be great.

The team didn’t look much better than it did last year. But the individual players playing look a lot better. Way higher team potential, if the younger guys continue to settle in and improve as the season progresses.
    Houhusky said:

Green looks a lot like Gaddy

The offense is still basically the same iso low block with Stewart instead of Dickerson

If that’s not working we do the same nowell ISO guard drive with limited movement/kick out 3 threat.

The court still felt really small at times, and that’s going to hurt them in more than a couple games.

Defense obvious step back without Thybulle but can now mix to man to shake things up and more athletic down low instead of trying to flop take a charge every time.

McDaniels, with his length, could be really good in that middle zone area where so Thybulle got so many of his steals and blocks from behind, but you can tell he hasn’t figured out yet.

Hop was pretty regularly trying to get the middle of the zone big man up on top of the charge circle more to help close that space now that Thybulle is gone.

Naz looked like he has continued to improve which is huge.

Bey still looks pretty meh but it’s whatever, he’s not losing games

At some point in the season we are going to use wright to break a full court press and it’s going to drive me insane. If he can just be Gant that would be great.

The team didn’t look much better than it did last year. But the individual players playing look a lot better. Way higher team potential, if the younger guys continue to settle in and improve as the season progresses.

I think part of the reason I was disappointed in Quade is he was catalyst in just dribbling on the perimeter going nowhere. He's got to get inside with his quickness and either convert on floaters or dish it. We need a PG to not stand around... he needed to be more aggressive and assert the offense. This O was always best when Jaylen was driving to the bucket.

The court did feel small... I also think Baylor is just a quality defensive basketball team and they had some nice size/quickness defending the perimeter. They were a really good defensive team last year... they held teams to 67 points a game last year.

I'm not sure I see an "obvious step back" on the D. I think where we're weaker without Thybulle... we're significantly stronger without Dickerson and Timmins playing limited minutes. We're going to be much better protecting the rim this year than we did last year. Like I said, I thought Bey looked Mattise-like in the time he played.

Yeah man... Hamier... it's like, go spend some time with a guy who can train you a bit... basic dribbling skills would be nice.

• FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Stewart is going to be a lot better than Dickerson. Dickerson labored around. Stewart can move. Dickerson was a solid college player. Stewart is a star.

I had a feeling Naz was ready to break out. He was good at the end of last year and started shooting the ball better. He’s a scorer. I would love to get another version of him because 3-4 year players that are good from their sophomore year on are huge in college basketball.

I don’t think we played especially well and we still won. This team will be good. The will have a couple struggles during the year, but it’s a legit top 25 team probably in the 10-20 range.

he already is
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,790
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Stewart is going to be a lot better than Dickerson. Dickerson labored around. Stewart can move. Dickerson was a solid college player. Stewart is a star.

I had a feeling Naz was ready to break out. He was good at the end of last year and started shooting the ball better. He’s a scorer. I would love to get another version of him because 3-4 year players that are good from their sophomore year on are huge in college basketball.

I don’t think we played especially well and we still won. This team will be good. The will have a couple struggles during the year, but it’s a legit top 25 team probably in the 10-20 range.

Raequan Battle is naz 2.0. Naz is bigger but Raequan is a little smoother.