Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

America's greatest MUST WIN military victory of all time?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,416
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Write-in Option

If the Allies take a loss at Normandy, fortress Europe holds and we enter a stalemate. The 101st and 82nd Airborne would be stranded behind enemy lines with no hope of resupply. At the very least many more casualties in follow up landing attempts. Nazis don’t get pressured on multiple fronts. A lot of things have to go right to end up with the same outcome. Not a lot of things have to happen for Hitler and Nazi Germany to remain a military power.

The Soviets would have still ended up in Berlin even if Overlord failed. Probably not by April 1945 but it was still going to happen. Consider that 90% of all Whermacht casualties in the war were inflicted by the Soviets. The importance of Normandy was that it enabled us to keep much of Europe out of the Soviet sphere.

I don’t know. A massive defeat at Normandy might have totally stalled the Allies. Second guessing is a bitch. Just look at Africa and Italy.

Meanwhile, the Nazis would have been riding high, had more time and resources to devote to the East.

Let’s say the Soviets roll them anyways (most likely)...if we aren’t meeting them in Berlin, do they stop? I doubt it. Now we are maybe meeting them in Paris? Do we stalemate or do we fight them now that they’ve violated our alliance by invading France (under the pretense of wiping out remaining Nazi units/leaders)? Either way, seems much worse than the way it played out.
    We can agree getting thwarted on the beaches of Normandy would have been a disaster. It's difficult to say how far the Soviets would have advanced. We had some leverage in the sense that they were still receiving massive lend lease aid from us. We know the bomb was ready by Aug 1945. Might Germany have received it first?
    My woke history taught me that the bomb was reserved for the yellow folks not the white folks

Probably because the Japs bombed us and we were still really pissed off

Or racist
    They are full of shit. We would have used it on Germany if needed. We? had not qualms about BBQ ing kraut civilians. In fact, the fire bombing of Dresden occurred well before LeMay started fire bombing Japan's cities.

Kurt Vonnegut was THERE (One of my all-time favorite novels, and author).