Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

America's greatest MUST WIN military victory of all time?

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,341
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

England would be speaking German

Gee we could be Canada!!!!!!

Canada stood with England from the beginning of both world wars
    And they would have lost with them
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,845
    Write-in Option

BearsWiin said:

People forget we're 0-1-1 vs. Canada.

• Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Saratoga - 1777

BearsWiin said:

Try to keep up, old man. A Canada-like US would have stood with England from the beginning too
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

Try to keep up, old man. A Canada-like US would have stood with England from the beginning too
    And lost with them

Your utopia of soft faggots is not the USA that saved freedom
  • Options
    Saratoga - 1777

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

And lost with them

Your utopia of soft faggots is not the USA that saved freedom
    BoB Mrrca Fuck Yeah POTD
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,091
    Trenton - 1776
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

From the beginning? We were busy sending Jews back up Europe. If Japan hadn't bombed Pearl Harbor we would have taken it up the ass through Mexico.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Exactly

There would have been a handful of US colonies because England gave Ohio and Kentucky and the frontier to the Natives for help in the Revolution. No manifest destiny as you said

France isn't selling Louisiana to England

Mexico extends up the West Coast to Canada and from Texas to the French Colony

England supports the SEC leaving because they want the cotton and don't give a fuck about how it is picked. Their noble abandonment of the slave trade in 1807 came after they brought 3 million of them here to fill their field and reproduce.

No one is sending anything to Europe in the 30's because Mexico aligns with Hitler and we have a continent wide war right here.

The US is the Big East in football after Miami and Virginia Tech left

We don't deal in hypotheticals and they taught history when I was in school. You want to hate America that's fine with me. My sister moved to England in 76 and never came back. She had the GUTS to live her conviction not whine about it with the girls in the gym.

Me at school

• Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,091
    Trenton - 1776

Exactly

There would have been a handful of US colonies because England gave Ohio and Kentucky and the frontier to the Natives for help in the Revolution. No manifest destiny as you said

England supports the SEC leaving because they want the cotton and don't give a fuck about how it is picked. Their noble abandonment of the slave trade in 1807 came after they brought 3 million of them here to fill their field and reproduce.

No one is sending anything to Europe in the 30's because Mexico aligns with Hitler and we have a continent wide war right here.

We don't deal in hypotheticals and they taught history when I was in school. You want to hate America that's fine with me. My sister moved to England in 76 and never came back. She had the GUTS to live her conviction not whine about it with the girls in the gym.

Me at school

I don't see you. Is professor emeritus Bannon in the school house?
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,916
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gettysburg - 1863
    BearsWiin said:

Several on that list don't even deserve consideration. Vicksburg was big for a western theater battle, and very strategeric, but the war was going to be won back east. Atlanta? Christ. Baltimore? WTF? Even Gettysburg could have been a Union loss and still forced Lee to retreat because he wouldn't continue to have the manpower or logistical support to sustain an invasion. The argument for Antietam is stronger than any other Civil War battle, IMO.

I've made the poont many times that Midway was the most decisive 15 minutes in US military history, and that Normandy was a fucking overrated (thanks a fucking lot, Hanks and Spielberg) afterthought given what the Sovs were doing on the Eastern Front. But, really, none of those battles would have been fought had we? not turned the tide in the RevWar. Trenton was a feel-good sideshow, Yorktown was mop-up duty. Saratoga was the must-win, the tide-turner.

There are actually some interesting recent counterfactual books asking the querey of what would we be like had the British won the RevWar. Had we? lost, slavery probably have been abolished by the British 20 years later, no weird jingoist Manifest Destiny messianic mentality would have ingrained itself in the American collective consciousness, and we? likely would have gained independence like Canada did, later in the 19th century. A kinder, gentler version of ourselves, probably with universal health care instead of the prosperity gospel anti-brown 2A bullshit we have now

Hi Race!

Antietam is a glaring omission and the win here played a decisive role on the diplomatic front vis-a-vis Europe. But the Civil War above all else was about attrition and the would the North being willing to sacrifice enough of its sons to kill enough rebs to compel their surrender. People forget that in the modern history no other nation sacrificed a higher percentage of its fighting age males in a war than the South in the Civil War other than Serbia in WWI. Germany and Sovs in WWII don't come close. The South wasn't giving up w/o a significant amount of boys in blue going home in pine boxes.

Lee didn't have to continue an invasion of the North in 1863. He just had to continue the winning streak from Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville and Northern public opinion could very well have started to collapse. Remember, they don't call Antietam the "High water mark of the Confederacy" and there's no "Antietam Address".
  • Options
    Saratoga - 1777

Exactly

Me at school

Love it or Leave it! POTD
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

Exactly

Me at school

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,845
    Write-in Option

Exactly

Me at school

Is that the time you had a threesome with Laura Ingalls and her sister Mary?

Respect.

• Options
    Saratoga - 1777

Exactly

Me at school

We don't deal in hypothetical but IFL counter factual history arguing. The one @BearsWiin posed is an all time favorite, but it's full of semi truck sized holes that even Ahmed could find with no problem.

1- It's a hell of a lot different freeing slaves on some Caribbean Islands and compensating their owners by Act of Parliament than the entirety of the Southern colonies in circa 1833. Freeing the Caribbean slaves was something like 40% of the entire British treasury's revenue in that year. As Race points out the cotton gin was invented well before 1833 and the BE had no problem importing massive amounts of slave picked cotton for their textile mills. Furthermore, if we? revolted over taxes in the 1760 and 70s, you think the south would have just gone along with an Act of Parliament like this peaceably? Doubtful.

2- Would America has ended up at the world's largest economy by the late 1870's if we stayed in the BE? Doubtful. We can bash jingoistic, messianic, Manifest Destiny all we want, but there was something unique in the American experience that wouldn't have been there if we stayed with Britain. The world was better of with Pax Americana succeeding Pax Britannica than it would have been other wise.
    If Jared Diamond teaches us anything, it's that superior technology and organization win out, and that geography plays a huge part. "American" exceptionalism isn't as exceptional as you'd like to believe. Perhaps the most exceptional element was the successive waves of immigration that made industrialization and expansion possible - I don't know that an English-controlled America would have attracted/welcomed so many.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,916
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gettysburg - 1863
    BearsWiin said:

Exactly

Me at school

We don't deal in hypothetical but IFL counter factual history arguing. The one @BearsWiin posed is an all time favorite, but it's full of semi truck sized holes that even Ahmed could find with no problem.

1- It's a hell of a lot different freeing slaves on some Caribbean Islands and compensating their owners by Act of Parliament than the entirety of the Southern colonies in circa 1833. Freeing the Caribbean slaves was something like 40% of the entire British treasury's revenue in that year. As Race points out the cotton gin was invented well before 1833 and the BE had no problem importing massive amounts of slave picked cotton for their textile mills. Furthermore, if we? revolted over taxes in the 1760 and 70s, you think the south would have just gone along with an Act of Parliament like this peaceably? Doubtful.

2- Would America has ended up at the world's largest economy by the late 1870's if we stayed in the BE? Doubtful. We can bash jingoistic, messianic, Manifest Destiny all we want, but there was something unique in the American experience that wouldn't have been there if we stayed with Britain. The world was better of with Pax Americana succeeding Pax Britannica than it would have been other wise.
    If Jared Diamond teaches us anything, it's that superior technology and organization win out, and that geography plays a huge part. "American" exceptionalism isn't as exceptional as you'd like to believe. Perhaps the most exceptional element was the successive waves of immigration that made industrialization and expansion possible - I don't know that an English-controlled America would have attracted/welcomed so many.
    I'm the #1 fan here of your fellow UCLA academic, Prof. Diamond. In this case, a key piece of the "experience" I'm referring to is the organization we set up. Free of Britain, we were able to go west and prosper. It wasn't pretty for the Indians and Messicans - history usually isn't fair- but we did become the greatest industrial power the world had ever scene which came in handy.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    We don't deal in hypotheticals out here.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

BearsWiin said:

Exactly

Me at school

BTW this is a live shot from Rancho Cucamonga this morning. Wish I had caught him in the lot. By the time I got the camera working you couldn't read the amazing amount of shit he has on his car

Like that mass shooter last year
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Normandy - 1944

BearsWiin said:

Exactly

Me at school

BTW this is a live shot from Rancho Cucamonga this morning. Wish I had caught him in the lot. By the time I got the camera working you couldn't read the amazing amount of shit he has on his car

So, a Trump voter?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

BearsWiin said:

Exactly

Me at school

So, a Trump voter?
    More labels

Sad
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Normandy - 1944

BearsWiin said:

Exactly

Me at school

So, a Trump voter?
    More labels

Sad
    If the label fits...