Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Mariners prepared to offer Robinson Cano $240 Million for 10 years

Jesus Christ!

Him and Jay-Z are flying to Seattle on a private jet tonight (Jay-Z is his agent now for those who don't know).

Apparently they are saying it would be supplemented by signing other players. Are they trying to strike while Seattle is pumped about the Seahawks? That is my only guess for opening the wallet like this.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/mariners/

Comments

• RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Retards if true...
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Is Woody heading this deal up as well? I thought they would have learned from the Beltre/Sexson deals. I guess Beltre decided to kick ass again after he left Seattle, but Sexson was horrid. There are only two hitters in all of baseball worth this kind of coin, and Cano isn't even close. We are a small market New York Mets.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    He's not coming here #lrr #brokenrecord #pawn
  • uw2010uw2010 Member Posts: 940
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Beltre was actually worth his contract. Sexson and Figgins were massive flops, though.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Sexon/Figgins/Weaver/Silva/Bedard

Pretty much every trade and FA pickup by the Mariners has sucked for forever now.

I disagree with you greenblood on Cano not being worth it. He isn't worth the money they are going to pay him that's for sure but the guy has been one of the most consistent/best hitters in the big leagues for awhile and he plays amazing defense.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Even Scott Woodward Fucking Stupid thinks this is a terrible idea.
  • 3rd, 6th, 4th, and 5th in MVP balloting the last 4 years. WARs of 8.2, 5.4, 8.5, and 7.6. I'm ok with this. Not my money.
  • Husky Football: We are so bad even the Mariners are more relevant than us
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

3rd, 6th, 4th, and 5th in MVP balloting the last 4 years. WARs of 8.2, 5.4, 8.5, and 7.6. I'm ok with this. Not my money.

I don't mind the per year valuation. It's committing 9 years to a guy who's already 31 years old at the position with the second shortest careers in the game.

FireZ.com

• doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Well this fucking happened
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Well this fucking happened

The M's just couldn't handle being anonymously bad, too much Seahawk and Husky attention of late. So they decided to be notably bad.

FML

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I see why this could end up being a disaster, but I also give props to the Mariner's for once getting in the bidding and closing a guy. If they get David Price (hopefully not for Walker) then I may have to watch a few innings this year. We will probably still suck though and get shown by the A's how it's done even though we have twice the payroll they do.

I see why this could end up being a disaster, but I also give props to the Mariner's for once getting in the bidding and closing a guy. If they get David Price (hopefully not for Walker) then I may have to watch a few innings this year. We will probably still suck though and get shown by the A's how it's done even though we have twice the payroll they do.

I would rather hang onto Walker. It would be cool watching Felix and Price battling for the Cy Young but I would rather them go after another bat like Nelson Cruz.

This could be a disaster but holy fuck wasn't it already? At least they got a tier 1 player and not a tier 3 player for tier 2 money.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I would rather hang onto Walker. It would be cool watching Felix and Price battling for the Cy Young but I would rather them go after another bat like Nelson Cruz.

This could be a disaster but holy fuck wasn't it already? At least they got a tier 1 player and not a tier 3 player for tier 2 money.
    Oh, I agree. It's better than the alternative of watching Ackley or the other young guy at 2B. At least Cano is a bonafied All Star. His signing gives the Mariners a little bit of a pulse entering the season.

These type of deals have not worked out very well though. Players are often already past their primes by the time they get these mega deals, and at 31, Cano is probably at the tail end of his prime. It will be a rough deal in in the second half of the contract.

Oh, I agree. It's better than the alternative of watching Ackley or the other young guy at 2B. At least Cano is a bonafied All Star. His signing gives the Mariners a little bit of a pulse entering the season.

These type of deals have not worked out very well though. Players are often already past their primes by the time they get these mega deals, and at 31, Cano is probably at the tail end of his prime. It will be a rough deal in in the second half of the contract.

Yea I agree history is not on our side. At least it shows the Mariners finally fucking nutted up and did what it takes to land a GREAT player. They need to do some more work but at least this is a spark, nothing like we have seen over the past 10 years.
    Robinson cano is an outstanding ball player, did they vastly overpay, yes. But on the other hand I complain that they don't spend so it would be hippocracy to complain about this move. They need to start developing around him though.
  • IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    If this is the only move, then this will be a major disaster. But with the money they are paying him, I am not sure they can fix all the issues.

No consistent starter after Felix & Kuma
    No outfield (Ackley and freakin' Saunders)
    1B sucks (Choak)
    No DH (Morales was solid at best)

Outside of Seager, Miller, Zunino and Franklin, the rest of the position players are a joke. And 3 of 4 those guys are listed on potential only.

And WTF is the deal with all of this "GREAT" pitching in our system we keep hearing about. Why is it that other franchises can get their young starters up and be productive? Go look at the list of guys <25 that have an ERA < 4.5.

Only positive is Lincoln is retiring and hopefully Armstrong will follow right after him.

Maybe one day we can have meaningful baseball in August.

If this is the only move, then this will be a major disaster. But with the money they are paying him, I am not sure they can fix all the issues.

No consistent starter after Felix & Kuma
    No outfield (Ackley and freakin' Saunders)
    1B sucks (Choak)
    No DH (Morales was solid at best)

Outside of Seager, Miller, Zunino and Franklin, the rest of the position players are a joke. And 3 of 4 those guys are listed on potential only.

And WTF is the deal with all of this "GREAT" pitching in our system we keep hearing about. Why is it that other franchises can get their young starters up and be productive? Go look at the list of guys <25 that have an ERA < 4.5.

Only positive is Lincoln is retiring and hopefully Armstrong will follow right after him.

Maybe one day we can have meaningful baseball in August.</p>

I think signing a 4/5 guy for the rotation is a move that needs to be made. Arroyo and Feldman are the two guys that makes the most sense.
    The outfield is a complete joke.
    resigning morales makes the most sense for me, not going to be a ton of money.
    1st base needs to be adressed.
    It's a start at least