Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mason West, 6'4, 240 lb, 3* 2020 TE, La Habra, CA (Committed)

Comments

• Options
    ThoroughDawgThoroughDawg Member Posts: 186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Lol stop with the Drew Sample comparisons. Sample was way more athletic in high school. He was faster and a better receiver than this kid. This is a fucking reach until proven otherwise. Just tell it like it is.

They're ranked roughly the same and, like Sample, West had to attend Pete's June camp in order to earn an offer (and that was Pete's camp at Boise, who knows if Sample would have gotten a UW offer as quickly).

They're very close to the same size and build too.

It's a pretty natural comp.
    LMAO STOOOOOOOOP IT!!! I can't take it anymore. Doog overload. Just watch Sample's high school film. It's night and day between the two. This is the slowest TE we've taken since Kizer and he's not even a nasty blocker. Fuck off with this doog shit. The only comparisons you can make are they're both white and around the same size in high school and have similar 3-star rankings as recruits. Natural comp my ass. You could say the same shit about most of the TE recruits in the country.
    I'm sure you've spent hours comparing Sample's junior tape to West's junior tape.

One thing is certain, West is much closer to Drew Sample 2.0 than Trey Lowe is to Barry Sanders 2.0.
    No he's really not. Trey Lowe's high school film is better than Barry Sanders' high school film. Lowe was incredibly elusive. Lowe ran circles around guys. But I never even said Lowe was going to be the next Sanders. It was an obvious comparison with both being small and incredibly elusive running backs. It's not like Sanders was way faster or more physically gifted than Lowe. He wasn't. Both are super quick with stupid cutting ability and vision.

It's fucking hilarious how you talk a big game about wanting elite talent and settling for JAGs being unacceptable but as soon as it actual happens and a likely JAG commits you transform into super doog. He's not close to Drew Sample at all. He's closer to Kizer than Sample.

Also this is the epitome of your own behavior. You rip kids apart until they’re close to committing and then you start talking about how improved they are and rankings are shit and the kid is a gem.

It’s the script dude.

See: Javeon Sunday

WTF is KB doing? This kid sucks. Looks like he's running in slow motion.

WOOOOOO! I LOVE THIS KID! He's fucking awesome.

Traits like balance, strength, power, durability, and physicality are just as important, and a lot of times, more important for running backs than straight line speed. Sunday does not have blazing speed, we know that, but he does have adequate speed to break off long runs and what he lacks in speed he makes up for with power. He's an NFL talent because the NFL loves backs like him. That's why Josh Jacobs just went in the first round after running a 4.6 at the combine.

Sunday has the potential to be the next Frank Gore. He's built just like him and isn't afraid to run straight through traffic and bodies just like Gore. I have no doubt he'll improve his speed and burst at UW and be a beast for us. If you don't look at our current roster and understand that we need to add physicality to the running back position to compete with the big boys, I can't help you, you're just that fucking dumb. The most physical running back on our roster right now is literally Jamyn Patu. The only guys who even look the part are Ahmed and Newton.

This kid can bench 300+ lbs and squat 500+ lbs as a Junior in fucking high school. That's very rare strength and word from his HS coach is that he's a very hard worker. How can you not be excited about what he could become after a couple years with Socha? He's going to run through tackles and drag pussy ass Pac-12 defenders. I don't think anyone will be complaining when he's averaging 6 to 8 yards per carry for us. It would also be nice having a RB who's jacked like he is and can stand up a linebacker in pass protection instead of having to try to cut him like a pussy.

Great pick up!

How is this "following the same script"? In one scenario I was excited about Sunday's commitment after initially being hesitant of him as a recruit. In this case, I have not liked this kid as a recruit when he was offered and still don't now that he's committed. That's a false equivalency.
    The difference is time. There was months in between Sunday's offer and commit, just a few days between West's.

You'll have a different tune in November.
    Like I said, I could change my mind after seeing his Senior film, but his Junior film sucks and he's not physical.
    I actually agree his junior film sucks but they didn't offer him off his junior film, they offered him off what they saw at the camp.

A lot can change for a 16/17 year old between November and the end of June.
    And as I already said, they did the same exact thing with Michael Neal! They offered him after a great satellite camp performance. I don't give a fuck what he did at a stupid fucking camp. There's no blocking at a camp and he wasn't going against D1 talent at UW's shit little Rising Stars camp. The film doesn't lie and his film is not good. It'd be one thing if he was a mediocre receiver but a monster blocker pancaking guys left and right. I could live with that. But he's a soft blocker so what the fuck? This shit pisses me off. It's a step backwards.
    It’s Paopao, it’s what he does.

We’re just the ones that got duped by the Redman commit.

Our inability to recruit at positions that should be fucking easy as shit is astounding.

Bhoner - how hard is it to sell being the next 1000 yard machine at Washington?

Paopaotoournuts - Churning out NFL TEs like it was cake (helps to have elite talent to start with fuckwad)

Coach K - you had it going there for a second last year, but dude, sacks by the boatload with the monstrous entity Lake’s created in the defensive backfield

Bobby G - ...... fuck I got nothing but scorn
  • Options
    RealRhinoRealRhino Member Posts: 615
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    We are well on our way to becoming Cal, if that was the plan.
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    Swaye said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Why do we continue to enable Paopao and Gregory?

PaoPao sucks, but to be disappointed because he got Yurosek and Redman would be stupid.
    Yurosek is a great athlete but he's stiffer than a fence post. He has no wiggle with the ball in his hands like Redman and Taylor do. There's a gap between those two and Yurosek and then another gap between Yurosek and this kid.
    When it comes to tight ends, "wiggle" is way down the list of attributes I give a fuck about.
    It's literally the one thing that separates the greats from the average at the position. JAG TE's catch the ball and get tackled. The greats make guys miss and break tackles and turn short gains into explosive plays and touchdowns.
    Sure. A guy like Witten with zero moves is going to be a first ballot hall of famer, but wiggle is what separates the goods from greats. Yurosek is going to be 6'5" 250 when he sees the field. I don't care if he can't juke for shit at that size. You probably want all your quarterbacks to have six packs too.
    Witten is the Wes Welker of Tight Ends. But sure, everybody prefers stiff guys over more athletic guys right? I'm sure Yurosek will be a future hall of famer like Witten right? You would take Witten over Gronk or Travis Kelce right? Logic is hard for you.
    Gronk doesn't have any wiggle
    One of the dumbest post of all time on this board. Gronk is the GOAT TE BECAUSE of his wiggle. He made people miss and turned routine catches into explosive plays and touch downs.
    Gronk ran by people because he has wheels and through people with brute strength. He wasn't shaking people.
    Not your best effort. Wiggle doesn't mean he has to be shaking people. It means he can catch the ball and stop on a dime while the defender flies pats him and keep going. It means he can weave through traffic. It means he's fucking athletic and can move in a way that most others can't at that size. Why do people insist on arguing about stupid shit?
    Define irony.
    Not seeing the irony here. I'm arguing about subpar recruiting.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    I don’t know if this kid is great or not...just think it’s insane if we are really taking 3 TEs. I understand 2 (with one redshirting and one playing as a Freshman) but 3 in a class where we are going to be limited to about 20 scholarships at most seems a bit insane. Especially when we should have one of the top 21 TEs who sure as hell won’t be redshirting lined up if PaoPao can do his job right (take 2 next year as well if you need, and redshirt the 2nd)
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

I don’t know if this kid is great or not...just think it’s insane if we are really taking 3 TEs. I understand 2 (with one redshirting and one playing as a Freshman) but 3 in a class where we are going to be limited to about 20 scholarships at most seems a bit insane. Especially when we should have one of the top 21 TEs who sure as hell won’t be redshirting lined up if PaoPao can do his job right (take 2 next year as well if you need, and redshirt the 2nd)

Paopao fucked up last year, that is why we taking 3 this year and hunter has indicated he is leaving unless he is injured
  • Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,803
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Swaye said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

PaoPao sucks, but to be disappointed because he got Yurosek and Redman would be stupid.
    Yurosek is a great athlete but he's stiffer than a fence post. He has no wiggle with the ball in his hands like Redman and Taylor do. There's a gap between those two and Yurosek and then another gap between Yurosek and this kid.
    When it comes to tight ends, "wiggle" is way down the list of attributes I give a fuck about.
    It's literally the one thing that separates the greats from the average at the position. JAG TE's catch the ball and get tackled. The greats make guys miss and break tackles and turn short gains into explosive plays and touchdowns.
    Sure. A guy like Witten with zero moves is going to be a first ballot hall of famer, but wiggle is what separates the goods from greats. Yurosek is going to be 6'5" 250 when he sees the field. I don't care if he can't juke for shit at that size. You probably want all your quarterbacks to have six packs too.
    Witten is the Wes Welker of Tight Ends. But sure, everybody prefers stiff guys over more athletic guys right? I'm sure Yurosek will be a future hall of famer like Witten right? You would take Witten over Gronk or Travis Kelce right? Logic is hard for you.
    One of the dumbest post of all time on this board. Gronk is the GOAT TE BECAUSE of his wiggle. He made people miss and turned routine catches into explosive plays and touch downs.
    Gronk ran by people because he has wheels and through people with brute strength. He wasn't shaking people.
    Not your best effort. Wiggle doesn't mean he has to be shaking people. It means he can catch the ball and stop on a dime while the defender flies pats him and keep going. It means he can weave through traffic. It means he's fucking athletic and can move in a way that most others can't at that size. Why do people insist on arguing about stupid shit?
    Define irony.
    Because you're an obtuse dipshit
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    FirePete said:

Paopao fucked up last year, that is why we taking 3 this year and hunter has indicated he is leaving unless he is injured
    Agree he fucked up last year, but that's why you take 2 instead of one this year (one for Sample and one for Bryant). 5 on scholarship which is where we will be at if Hunter goes pro and we take 2 seems right. You don't lose anyone the following year while you should pick up Matavao and then you should be balanced out. I doubt Otten is going pro early.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Swaye said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Define irony.
    Of course you don't. You have the self awareness of a clam.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,341
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sources said:

Swaye said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Define irony.
    Because you're an obtuse dipshit

Swaye said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Define irony.
    Of course you don't. You have the self awareness of a clam.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,904
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Yeah, I dont really get the 3 TE thing. Even with Bryant likely gone and not taking one last year, you have 2 sophs and a freshman on the roster, none of whom are likely to leave early.

My guess is the next Eklund recruiting blog will say something like, "UW had been saying for awhile that they were going to take 3 TEs. With the commitment of West, it looks like they may actually be content with 2 and are done for that position."
  • Options
    justthrowitinthebagjustthrowitinthebag Member Posts: 150

If any of you have any extra time, you should read the comments section of the West commitment on Doogman. There are words being used like "Nostra-Eklund" and sentences like "much respect for how you report on recruiting". Unreal.

It honestly amazes me that people are impressed that Ecklund predicted Mason West would come to UW...
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,474
    Swaye's Wigwam

This thread has AIDS. Fuck off, wiggle arguers. Paopao is a fine coach, but on a scale of 1-10 as a recruiter he’s a fucking ZERO. Fire his fucking ass. We already have too many coaches who can’t recruit.

He landed the best tight end on West coast this year from SoCal. He's not a 0, no matter how much you want to believe so.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Doogles said:

This thread has AIDS. Fuck off, wiggle arguers. Paopao is a fine coach, but on a scale of 1-10 as a recruiter he’s a fucking ZERO. Fire his fucking ass. We already have too many coaches who can’t recruit.

He landed the best tight end on West coast this year from SoCal. He's not a 0, no matter how much you want to believe so.
    Well, in that case, perhaps we should be putting Garbers on staff then and rate him a 7/10 for recruiting prowress? ... and leave the development and coaching to PaoPao ...
  • Options
    dawgs206dawgs206 Member Posts: 482
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    Not really the right bored for this, but with the talk of 3 TE's in this class it makes a lot more sense Bryant didn't redshirt last year. It seems pretty clear that he has indicated to the coaches he is going pro next year unless he is unable and if I had to guess (WAG) he might not have wanted to RS to get some more tape out.

As much of a beast as he will be this year, he doesn't have a ton of college tape, he is a tweener, and hasn't been injury free. Curious what he has heard for potential draft grades with a big year.

• Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,474
    Swaye's Wigwam
    animate said:

Doogles said:

Well, in that case, perhaps we should be putting Garbers on staff then and rate him a 7/10 for recruiting prowress? ... and leave the development and coaching to PaoPao ...
    Always an excuse when results fuck up the narrative.

He gets credit for Bryant who will be 3 and out. Otton who will be playing on Sunday. Culp is an explosive athlete with potential to develop. Kizer would start for most D1 programs, will probably play Sunday.

UW has suffered a season ending injury to a starting TE the past two years and the unit was still strong. That's quality depth.

Still trying to see how he sucks at recruiting.
  • Options
    DawgFaderDawgFader Member Posts: 1,414
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    All these TE’s we get are system fits. Talent matters but so does frame and intangibles. Could Paopao recruit a higher star level, sure. Does seem like the Dawgs are producing solid TE’s though.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,616
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    DawgFader said:

All these TE’s we get are system fits. Talent matters but so does frame and intangibles. Could Paopao recruit a higher star level, sure. Does seem like the Dawgs are producing solid TE’s though.

This whole freakout is beyond stupid, and the reason you've mentioned is the correct reason why. UW's offense likes to feature a receiving specialist who can do some blocking and a blocking specialist who can catch the odd pass. Bryant and Culp fit the first mold perfectly, Otton is kind of a crossover, and Kizer excels as a blocker.
    Kizer, in spite of ballzdumb's ranting, is an extremely athletic, big MFer who can already start borrowing against the money the NFL is going to pay him. Fuck you ballzbitch, the guy is good and is the prototype for the WTE position that UW's offense requires.

Theres never going to be a TE room full of featurable receiving right ends. There will be one featured guy like Bryant and one behind him for depth, and 3-4 bigger guys with pass catching skills but who are going to block most of the time. The system neither needs or even wants a room full of tight ends who all expect to catch 40-50 passes. There just arent that many passes to go around, especially with receiver recruiting on such an uptick.
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    edited July 2019
    Doogles said:

animate said:

Doogles said:

Always an excuse when results fuck up the narrative.

He gets credit for Bryant who will be 3 and out. Otton who will be playing on Sunday. Culp is an explosive athlete with potential to develop. Kizer would start for most D1 programs, will probably play Sunday.

UW has suffered a season ending injury to a starting TE the past two years and the unit was still strong. That's quality depth.

Still trying to see how he sucks at recruiting.
    Because Michael Neal, Jacob Kizer, and Devin Culp all suck. You guys are dooging so hard about our TE depth. It's not good. Kizer is useless as a receiver and having him on the field weakens our passing game. Culp can't block and his conditioning needs work.

Mark Redman is the only elite out-of-state TE he's ever recruited and he's been here for a decade. That means you suck at recruiting.