Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

why can't UW just be like Clemson or Bama?!

Comments

• CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,856
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited May 2019

Meek said:

Christ. I hate this board.

Maybe because UW hasnt won a fucking nationally relevant game since 2000?

Let's win a single NY6 game before we start talking about catching these 2 programs.

"Let's win an NY6 game without adressing any of the problems that are preventing us from doing that."

You are so completely oblivious to how stupid you sound. You seriously can't fathom that we want the same thing and the only difference is that we're willing to look at what it's going to actually take.
    There are two ways a west coast team can win it all.

1) Recruit Nationally. Pete and company need to improve in this area.

2) Hope for an usually strong recruiting group out west for 3-4 consecutive years. (With football fading out west, this seems like a futile wish)

Even if the latter does happen, the west is consistently losing their top kids to the blue bloods as it is.
    The west is only losing the top kids that USC and UCLA are failing to sign. Bad news for the conference, but UW and Oregon are doing just fine.

And we don't need to recruit nationally. If it happens, great, but there are more than enough players on the west coast to load up on.
    LOL at our Texas vs Washington State strategy, then.
    You guys seem to think it's one or the other. You're actually clueless about what's happening behind the scenes in state besides what happened with Smalls (which you're just speculating on, and it may not be over) and random tweets from Tracy Ford or Gee Scott, who has a vendetta. TWEETS from spurned parties with their own interests. Not exactly a source I put a lot of stake in. Besides, Texas is a long-term play. Evaluate that strategy in 5 years.
    The racism stuff is probably overstated and overplayed. The frustration about the lack of in state offers is very real. In the macro you can maybe explain Scott and Rogers being ignored. In the macro it looks real bad when you add Levi Rogers, Bruener and Pete Latu this class and Simon, Will Latu, Tinae, Alexander, and the other receivers next class.

There is plenty of in state four star talent not even being offered scholarships (a lot of it high four star talent), while high three stars in Texas are popping plenty of offers.

I love Pete but this makes no damn sense. We’ve been waiting on some of these obvious kids to get offers for over two years.

It’s a big problem.
    As I said, it's entirely speculative as to why these kids aren't getting offered right now. There could be a damn good reason. It also doesn't mean they won't be. I'm 100% sure the coaches are in contact, offer or not. You're assuming that these in-state guys are pissed off and upset based on what? A Tracy Ford tweet? OK. We are selective. That's the reason. If we were throwing out 500 offers and none of them were to in-state guys, yes, that would be weird. But we've offered 60, 2nd lowest in the nation. Yes, I tend to lean towards trusting the people who know the program, the recruits, and talent evaluation the best. Pete's eval >>>>>>>>> Biggins' eval. Biggins isn't pumping players into the NFL. If that makes me a Dawgman doog, so be it. Remember, I'm banned from Dawgman. I'm too irrational for Dawgman and I'm too rational for HH.
    Founders Club
    edited May 2019

Meek said:

Let's win a single NY6 game before we start talking about catching these 2 programs.

"Let's win an NY6 game without adressing any of the problems that are preventing us from doing that."

You are so completely oblivious to how stupid you sound. You seriously can't fathom that we want the same thing and the only difference is that we're willing to look at what it's going to actually take.

2) Hope for an usually strong recruiting group out west for 3-4 consecutive years. (With football fading out west, this seems like a futile wish)

Even if the latter does happen, the west is consistently losing their top kids to the blue bloods as it is.
    The west is only losing the top kids that USC and UCLA are failing to sign. Bad news for the conference, but UW and Oregon are doing just fine.

And we don't need to recruit nationally. If it happens, great, but there are more than enough players on the west coast to load up on.
    You guys seem to think it's one or the other. You're actually clueless about what's happening behind the scenes in state besides what happened with Smalls (which you're just speculating on, and it may not be over) and random tweets from Tracy Ford or Gee Scott, who has a vendetta. TWEETS from spurned parties with their own interests. Not exactly a source I put a lot of stake in. Besides, Texas is a long-term play. Evaluate that strategy in 5 years.
    The racism stuff is probably overstated and overplayed. The frustration about the lack of in state offers is very real. In the macro you can maybe explain Scott and Rogers being ignored. In the macro it looks real bad when you add Levi Rogers, Bruener and Pete Latu this class and Simon, Will Latu, Tinae, Alexander, and the other receivers next class.

There is plenty of in state four star talent not even being offered scholarships (a lot of it high four star talent), while high three stars in Texas are popping plenty of offers.

I love Pete but this makes no damn sense. We’ve been waiting on some of these obvious kids to get offers for over two years.

It’s a big problem.
    As I said, it's entirely speculative as to why these kids aren't getting offered right now. There could be a damn good reason. It also doesn't mean they won't be. I'm 100% sure the coaches are in contact, offer or not. You're assuming that these in-state guys are pissed off and upset based on what? A Tracy Ford tweet? OK. We are selective. That's the reason. If we were throwing out 500 offers and none of them were to in-state guys, yes, that would be weird. But we've offered 60, 2nd lowest in the nation. Yes, I tend to lean towards trusting the people who know the program, the recruits, and talent evaluation the best. Pete's eval >>>>>>>>> Biggins' eval. Biggins isn't pumping players into the NFL. If that makes me a Dawgman doog, so be it. Remember, I'm banned from Dawgman. I'm too irrational for Dawgman and I'm too rational for HH.
    You're obviously not following these kids on Twitter so you have no clue, but the Latus, Simon, Scott, Rogers and others have publicly expressed frustration at their lack of an offer from UW. The UW offer is coveted in state, this is where Tequila is wrong. We aren't ignoring them because they don't want us. Guys like Shaq have had to come in and try and encourage these guys to be patient "Pete's just different" etc. Which is fine until they see some 3 star from Texas at the same position got offered. These kids aren't dumb.

Recruiting rankings have a very high hit rate so Biggins' has plenty of guys he's evaluated highly in the NFL.

I can see having a couple highly rated in state guys that you evaluate differently. The sheer volume of kids they are ignoring or passing on is alarming. A lot of these will bite us in the ass if we don't fix it quickly.
    Devil's Advocate... perhaps they like the 3* from Texas more? It's a tough line to toe, for sure, because you're more likely to hit on your in-state guys. But if Pete thinks the 3* from Texas is a better fit than the local guy, shouldn't he pursue the player he likes best and build in-roads in the biggest football state in the nation? Stars be damned. If he offers the in-state guy, and they commit, then he likely has ZERO chance with the out-of-state guy he likes more. I understand where you're coming from. I do. I'm just seeing it from the other side of the coin too. As long as coaches are still staying in contact with the in-state guys and not completely ignoring them (we have no idea the extent to which this is happening), they do have a decent chance of getting the in-state guy to commit, even if the offer is late, as opposed to the late offer to the out-of-state guy. I don't believe for a second that those in-state bridges are completely blown up. If the kids are expressing frustration about the lack of UW offer, it means they do in fact still covet that UW offer (I'd like to see the Simon, Rogers, Latu, Scott tweets). You said so yourself. Otherwise they wouldn't care. If the UW offer is so coveted, they will still be excited when it comes, and despite the later offer, they still know the program, and likely will still have maintained contact with the coaches. An offer is not the entire recruitment. It's just the final piece. They can't be THAT spiteful when they see how selective we are. After all, UW offers are "meaningful". We've heard it straight from recruit's mouths. Offering out-of-state guys before the in-state guys does have some sound reasoning, in my mind, if they like them more, which it seems like they do in some cases.

That being said, offer Julien Simon for fuck's sake.

• HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

Meek said:

It’s a big problem.
    You're obviously not following these kids on Twitter so you have no clue, but the Latus, Simon, Scott, Rogers and others have publicly expressed frustration at their lack of an offer from UW. The UW offer is coveted in state, this is where Tequila is wrong. We aren't ignoring them because they don't want us. Guys like Shaq have had to come in and try and encourage these guys to be patient "Pete's just different" etc. Which is fine until they see some 3 star from Texas at the same position got offered. These kids aren't dumb.

Recruiting rankings have a very high hit rate so Biggins' has plenty of guys he's evaluated highly in the NFL.

I can see having a couple highly rated in state guys that you evaluate differently. The sheer volume of kids they are ignoring or passing on is alarming. A lot of these will bite us in the ass if we don't fix it quickly.
    Devil's Advocate... perhaps they like the 3* from Texas more? It's a tough line to toe, for sure, because you're more likely to hit on your in-state guys. But if Pete thinks the 3* from Texas is a better fit than the local guy, shouldn't he pursue the player he likes best and build in-roads in the biggest football state in the nation? Stars be damned. If he offers the in-state guy, and they commit, then he likely has ZERO chance with the out-of-state guy he likes more. I understand where you're coming from. I do. I'm just seeing it from the other side of the coin too. As long as coaches are still staying in contact with the in-state guys and not completely ignoring them (we have no idea the extent to which this is happening), they do have a decent chance of getting the in-state guy to commit, even if the offer is late, as opposed to the late offer to the out-of-state guy. I don't believe for a second that those in-state bridges are completely blown up. If the kids are expressing frustration about the lack of UW offer, it means they do in fact still covet that UW offer (I'd like to see the Simon, Rogers, Latu, Scott tweets). Otherwise they wouldn't care. If the UW offer is so coveted, they will still be excited when it comes, and despite the later offer, they still know the program, and likely will still have maintained contact with the coaches. An offer is not the entire recruitment. It's just the final piece. They can't be THAT spiteful when they see how selective we are. After all, UW offers are "meaningful". We've heard it straight from recruit's mouths. Offering out-of-state guys before the in-state guys does have some sound reasoning, in my mind, if they like them more, which it seems like they do in some cases.

I’m not gonna spend the time digging them back up for you to explain them away. Each of those kids has a thread here you can read through if you are legitimately interested. I’m sure they’ve been documented as we go.

Whiffing on the best back to back recruiting
    classes in your home state history so you can maybe make some in roads in a state you’ve been trying and failing to make in roads in your entire tenure here seems like a highly effective strategy, I can see why you’d defend it.

Meek said:

@CallMeBigErn is Basnight confirmed.
    Nah he’s @brents.
    Founders Club

Meek said:

@CallMeBigErn is Basnight confirmed.
    I can't even be offended, because who the fuck is Basnight?
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Currently, you're right. But 5 years from now that won't be the case. West coast teams better get a wider footprint now, or they are going to suffer down the road.

https://calmatters.org/articles/california-high-school-football-participation-drops/
    Founders Club
    edited May 2019

Meek said:

It’s a big problem.

Devil's Advocate... perhaps they like the 3* from Texas more? It's a tough line to toe, for sure, because you're more likely to hit on your in-state guys. But if Pete thinks the 3* from Texas is a better fit than the local guy, shouldn't he pursue the player he likes best and build in-roads in the biggest football state in the nation? Stars be damned. If he offers the in-state guy, and they commit, then he likely has ZERO chance with the out-of-state guy he likes more. I understand where you're coming from. I do. I'm just seeing it from the other side of the coin too. As long as coaches are still staying in contact with the in-state guys and not completely ignoring them (we have no idea the extent to which this is happening), they do have a decent chance of getting the in-state guy to commit, even if the offer is late, as opposed to the late offer to the out-of-state guy. I don't believe for a second that those in-state bridges are completely blown up. If the kids are expressing frustration about the lack of UW offer, it means they do in fact still covet that UW offer (I'd like to see the Simon, Rogers, Latu, Scott tweets). Otherwise they wouldn't care. If the UW offer is so coveted, they will still be excited when it comes, and despite the later offer, they still know the program, and likely will still have maintained contact with the coaches. An offer is not the entire recruitment. It's just the final piece. They can't be THAT spiteful when they see how selective we are. After all, UW offers are "meaningful". We've heard it straight from recruit's mouths. Offering out-of-state guys before the in-state guys does have some sound reasoning, in my mind, if they like them more, which it seems like they do in some cases.

I’m not gonna spend the time digging them back up for you to explain them away. Each of those kids has a thread here you can read through if you are legitimately interested. I’m sure they’ve been documented as we go.

classes in your home state history so you can maybe make some in roads in a state you’ve been trying and failing to make in roads in your entire tenure here seems like a highly effective strategy, I can see why you’d defend it.
    I want Pete to target the best players for his system. If they come from in state, cool. If they come from out of state, cool. If they were born and raised as a sherpa on the slopes of Mt. Everest, cool. We've done just fine without Fozzy, Wedington, etc. Perhaps we whiffed on Evan Weaver.

Meek said:

It’s a big problem.

I want Pete to target the best players for his system. If they come from in state, cool. If they come from out of state, cool. If they were born and raised as a sherpa on the slopes of Mt. Everest, cool. We've done just fine without Fozzy, Wedington, etc. Perhaps we whiffed on Evan Weaver.
    Wait, you think we passed on Fozzy?
  • whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088

Currently, you're right. But 5 years from now that won't be the case. West coast teams better get a wider footprint now, or they are going to suffer down the road.

https://calmatters.org/articles/california-high-school-football-participation-drops/

I don't see this as any kind of a problem. The player pool we recruit from will be the same. It's two star and low 3 star kids maybe dropping off. The types of player that go small college or weaker major college teams.
    Founders Club
    edited May 2019

Meek said:

It’s a big problem.

Didn't say we passed on him. The situation is similar to Smalls though. He was an in-state 5* player who left and we all thought the sky was falling. Now look at him. Players don't always turn out like you expect. Throw Banner in there too. Garnett was one who did pan out.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Meek said:

It’s a big problem.

Doogs like doog
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited May 2019
    whuggy said:

I don't see this as any kind of a problem. The player pool we recruit from will be the same. It's two star and low 3 star kids maybe dropping off. The types of player that go small college or weaker major college teams.
    Yes, but these types of kids fill out most high school rosters. You remove the majority of these kids, you will see more and more schools dropping football entirely. Many of the "non-okg" recruits don't have access to a lot of opportunities outside of their local high school. Obviously, many will find a way. Some of these private school will pay big money for a high school standout to play on their football program. But I think you're being naive to think that there won't be any drop off from this.
  • GOATGOAT Member Posts: 177
    We have a top 5 product with top 20 sales numbers. Pete gets paid more than enough to suck it up, put his big boy pants on, and recruit some MF dawgs.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    GOAT said:

We have a top 5 product with top 20 sales numbers. Pete gets paid more than enough to suck it up, put his big boy pants on, and recruit some MF dawgs.

Lol
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,794
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    GOAT said:

You're joking right? We do NOT have a top 5 product and never will unless the mission statement of the University changes to include BE ELITE IN FOOTBALL NO MATTER THE COST. We are not a blue blood, rather a high end Tier II that is capable of competing for NT's if the stars align.

@AUBURNTROJAN you want to educate here?