Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Jacobe Covington, 2020 4* DB, Scottsdale (Saguaro) AZ, (reCOMMITTED)

Comments

• insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    After reading about how Gee Jr made a UW commitment video, I couldn't help but wonder while watching Jacobe's video how many different endings he filmed with his family decked out in a different school's gear.
  • proofproof Member Posts: 278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

After reading about how Gee Jr made a UW commitment video, I couldn't help but wonder while watching Jacobe's video how many different endings he filmed with his family decked out in a different school's gear.

He did? No wonder, he had so much animosity towards the "not an OKG" narrative.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,702
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    proof said:

He did? No wonder, he had so much animosity towards the "not an OKG" narrative.
    Link or is it KOMO 4 buttfucker?
  • MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Ballz said:

WOOOOOOOOO! LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOO! Love this kid! He reminds me of Kam Chancellor.

Kam Chancellor 2.0?
    Fucking 12s

Without 12s, who would we ridicule?
    Skinny white noids playing pretend recruiting coordinator.
  • BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    are we talking 12s or 12 after '12. Big difference in my book
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    FirePete said:

Wiltfong weighs in:

One of the jewels of this 2020 Washington recruiting class ranked No. 17 nationally by 247Sports is Top247 defensive back Jacobe Covington who gave his pledge to Chris Petersen and his staff over the weekend.

Ranked as the nation’s No. 13 cornerback in the Top247 Player Rankings, the Huskies land a future difference-maker in the secondary.

“First and foremost Jacobe is a very talented and very versatile defensive back,” Saguaro head coach Jason Mohns said. “He has the ability and been recruited to play corner, nickel and safety at the Power Five level. I think his position versatility makes him special.

“He’s 6-2, has great length very physical and can run. He’s a track guy, 10.9 in the 100, so he has top-end speed with great length and physicality.”

Covington’s other offers included Oklahoma, Texas A&M, LSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Penn State, Tennessee and USC among others. He comes from the same high school that produced Washington All-American Byron Murphy.

“Not only how Byron developed there as a player but more importantly on the personal level and I think that caught the attention of Jacobe and his mom,” Mohns said. “Coach Petersen and his Built For Life program and Coach (Jimmy) Lake and the way he’s developed DBs, I think Jacobe thought that was the best fit for him on and off the field.”

Covington is part of one of the best high secondaries in the country, sharing the third level with five-star Kelee Ringo, Cameron Nash who has D-1 offers, Top247 2021 Denzel Burke, 2020 safety Danny Rivera and 2022 Javen Jacobs who is an offered guy.

“Jacobe has great energy and he plays with passion,” Mohns said. “He likes to talk, he’s animated, he really and truly enjoys the competitive aspect of football. He’s the kind of guy you want in your corner. He has a short memory. He loves competition and he’s not going to back down from anyone’s best. He thrives in that position and we put him on an island, he thrives on that. He likes to have that pressure. Every day in in practice he’s covering Matt Polk our big-time (6-4) X receiver and they go at it and Jacobe never backs down. He has the right mentality to be successful, has a little swag and that alpha-dog mentality.”

According to Tracking Football, Covington has a Performance Athletic Index Rating of 5.0 which is the top score a prospect can have. In a nutshell, Tracking Football has an algorithm that gives prospects a PAI score based solely on what they did in the track or combine arenas while accounting for measurables and projected position on the next level. Working from a scale of 0 to 5, with 2.0 and above being called average, 3.0 and above being called above average, 4.0 and above rating as excellent, college coaches can use that chart and focus on evaluating film with this tool telling them exactly how athletic a recruit is.

Angulo compares Covington to another former Husky in Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Sidney Jones.

"Muscular build with high hips and broad shoulders," Angulo wrote in his evaluation. "Tremendous length and physical upside. Very good ball skills and reach to limit passing windows. Aggressive defender in one-on-one situations. High comfort level in coverage, with the reactions to stick to wideouts. Versatility and size to play safety. Closes quickly on the football. Could improve tackling technique and be smoother through backpedal."

I love me some sid jones, but muscular is not something I would refer to him as
    Wiry
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,956
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    FirePete said:

Wiltfong weighs in:

One of the jewels of this 2020 Washington recruiting class ranked No. 17 nationally by 247Sports is Top247 defensive back Jacobe Covington who gave his pledge to Chris Petersen and his staff over the weekend.

Ranked as the nation’s No. 13 cornerback in the Top247 Player Rankings, the Huskies land a future difference-maker in the secondary.

“First and foremost Jacobe is a very talented and very versatile defensive back,” Saguaro head coach Jason Mohns said. “He has the ability and been recruited to play corner, nickel and safety at the Power Five level. I think his position versatility makes him special.

“He’s 6-2, has great length very physical and can run. He’s a track guy, 10.9 in the 100, so he has top-end speed with great length and physicality.”

Covington’s other offers included Oklahoma, Texas A&M, LSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Penn State, Tennessee and USC among others. He comes from the same high school that produced Washington All-American Byron Murphy.

“Not only how Byron developed there as a player but more importantly on the personal level and I think that caught the attention of Jacobe and his mom,” Mohns said. “Coach Petersen and his Built For Life program and Coach (Jimmy) Lake and the way he’s developed DBs, I think Jacobe thought that was the best fit for him on and off the field.”

Covington is part of one of the best high secondaries in the country, sharing the third level with five-star Kelee Ringo, Cameron Nash who has D-1 offers, Top247 2021 Denzel Burke, 2020 safety Danny Rivera and 2022 Javen Jacobs who is an offered guy.

“Jacobe has great energy and he plays with passion,” Mohns said. “He likes to talk, he’s animated, he really and truly enjoys the competitive aspect of football. He’s the kind of guy you want in your corner. He has a short memory. He loves competition and he’s not going to back down from anyone’s best. He thrives in that position and we put him on an island, he thrives on that. He likes to have that pressure. Every day in in practice he’s covering Matt Polk our big-time (6-4) X receiver and they go at it and Jacobe never backs down. He has the right mentality to be successful, has a little swag and that alpha-dog mentality.”

According to Tracking Football, Covington has a Performance Athletic Index Rating of 5.0 which is the top score a prospect can have. In a nutshell, Tracking Football has an algorithm that gives prospects a PAI score based solely on what they did in the track or combine arenas while accounting for measurables and projected position on the next level. Working from a scale of 0 to 5, with 2.0 and above being called average, 3.0 and above being called above average, 4.0 and above rating as excellent, college coaches can use that chart and focus on evaluating film with this tool telling them exactly how athletic a recruit is.

Angulo compares Covington to another former Husky in Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Sidney Jones.

"Muscular build with high hips and broad shoulders," Angulo wrote in his evaluation. "Tremendous length and physical upside. Very good ball skills and reach to limit passing windows. Aggressive defender in one-on-one situations. High comfort level in coverage, with the reactions to stick to wideouts. Versatility and size to play safety. Closes quickly on the football. Could improve tackling technique and be smoother through backpedal."

I love me some sid jones, but muscular is not something I would refer to him as
    Seriously. Every scout analysis of a dB going to uw now says “reminds me of Sidney Jones”
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,701
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sid Jones has a lil muscle. Kevin king, now there is a guy I might think I could beat in a fight if I was drunk. He’s a skinny wiry mf’er who would still stomp a mud hole in my face.

Love me some sid Jones and kev king.
  • DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

“I really like the school. They’ve got a built-for-life program, so that helps you develop into a man outside of football.

Do you think having a built for life program helps make up for not having a p.e. program?
  • JnewbludJnewblud Member Posts: 36
    5 Up Votes Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    Good get! Have to keep these kids enthused, just verbal commits for now
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Jnewblud said:

Good get! Have to keep these kids enthused, just verbal commits for now

• FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    edited September 2019
    Jnewblud said: