Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Needs more tim to get his tariffs in there

2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
From Yahoo news, I'm sure you can find it on your news source.

ECONOMY

The U.S. trade deficit widened more-than-expected to $59.8 billion in December, the highest level since October 2008, according to a Census Bureau report Wednesday. Imports rose 2.1% in December to $264.89 billion, while exports fell 1.9% to $205.12 billion. November’s trade deficit was upwardly revised to $50.3 billion, from $49.3 billion previously.

Comments

• greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited March 2019
    We’ve been over this.

The surplus/deficit is meaningless. This has been primarily about intellectual property theft and China’s influence in the Americas.

You also can’t seem to connect the dots that a slowing China economy is importing fewer raw materials, which impacts the trade deficit. It also isn’t helping matters that China is on the brink of a debt bubble. You might want to study this sometime, as you might learn something.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    China is our enemy in the Green New World. Anything we can do to battle WW2 with them is good.

Or China is the major funding behind the GND in DC because they know they are losing to us and are looking for us to commit suicide

• 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

Funny that people think a trade deficit is a problem that needs to be “solved”. It’s like wealth inequality. An emotional button to press for positions to get control of the ignorant.

I've said this many times. I don't have an issue with the trade deficit. I have an issue with people manipulating the free market to try to change the trade imbalance.
    edited March 2019
    2001400ex said:

Funny that people think a trade deficit is a problem that needs to be “solved”. It’s like wealth inequality. An emotional button to press for positions to get control of the ignorant.

I've said this many times. I don't have an issue with the trade deficit. I have an issue with people manipulating the free market to try to change the trade imbalance.
    Trade balance isn’t the goal hth

They want to hurt China’s economy, which the tariffs are doing.

2001400ex said:

Tell that to the person who instituted the tariffs.

edited March 2019
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Long term it will help even the playing field if Trump gets the primary concerns agreed upon. I've always disagreed on Trump's assertion in the importance of eliminating the deficit with China. Kind of like how Obama mislead people with Obamacare, Trump might have done the same thing with this. A large portion of his voting base doesn't understand intellectual property theft and China's influence. These tweets now look like smoke in mirrors to get his base on board for what Trump's real intentions were.

Trump might actually be completely wrong and think this will help the deficit (it won't). Slowing down China's economy will slow down their imports which only makes the deficit larger. But, these tariffs will have more impactful long term benefits. The goal is for companies to be able to have a share of China's market without having to share confidential company software and technology, to eliminate the threat of China's history of producing knockoffs, and to prevent China from using government subsidized programs like with steel production to flood the marketplace. Hampering China's economic progress will also limit their influence in the Americas, because their debt will prevent them to buy support like they have with Venezuela and Cuba. In the case with Venezuela, China and Russia have leveraged so much debt on that country, that once it goes under, they'll try and claim rights to the country's oil resources.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,226
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Long term it will help even the playing field if Trump gets the primary concerns agreed upon. I've always disagreed on Trump's assertion in the importance of eliminating the deficit with China. Kind of like how Obama mislead people with Obamacare, Trump might have done the same thing with this. A large portion of his voting base doesn't understand intellectual property theft and China's influence. These tweets now look like smoke in mirrors to get his base on board for what Trump's real intentions were.

Trump might actually be completely wrong and think this will help the deficit (it won't). Slowing down China's economy will slow down their imports which only makes the deficit larger. But, these tariffs will have more impactful long term benefits. The goal is for companies to be able to have a share of China's market without having to share confidential company software and technology, to eliminate the threat of China's history of producing knockoffs, and to prevent China from using government subsidized programs like with steel production to flood the marketplace. Hampering China's economic progress will also limit their influence in the Americas, because their debt will prevent them to buy support like they have with Venezuela and Cuba. In the case with Venezuela, China and Russia have leveraged so much debt on that country, that once it goes under, they'll try and claim rights to the country's oil resources.
    Good post. FWIW, critical thinking isn’t in Hondo’s wheelhouse, you no doubt confused him with this.

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Do you actually think Trump gave any meaningful thought like that info the tariffs? You probably spent more time typing that than thought Trump put into it.

The point of me posting the tweet isn't to debate the merits of tariffs. I know what China does with intellectual theft and such. Why don't we let the free market sort it out? If they steal our intelligence, stop producing shit there, right? I heard that was how shit works. "If we get rid of the EPA and a company pollutes, they'll get bad press and people won't buy their shit". Or so I'm told on here.
    edited March 2019
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Do you actually think Trump gave any meaningful thought like that info the tariffs? You probably spent more time typing that than thought Trump put into it.

The point of me posting the tweet isn't to debate the merits of tariffs. I know what China does with intellectual theft and such. Why don't we let the free market sort it out? If they steal our intelligence, stop producing shit there, right? I heard that was how shit works. "If we get rid of the EPA and a company pollutes, they'll get bad press and people won't buy their shit". Or so I'm told on here.
    It’s cute you think we have to be on Chinese soil for them to steal our intellectual property. Take the loss and move on.