Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW vs Oregon's class from a USC perspective

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

I still think Oregon struck out at DT recruiting 2 years in a row. Their eagle recruiting has been fucking phenomenal though

They could have really used Marlon
    They could have used every single kid they missed on. I still evaluate Oregon's class relative to where they've been. And, yes, they did fill one glaring position need in WR. There was a reason Herbert couldn't quit Mitchell, and as the season wore on, it started to cost them. If he had at least one other guy he trusted to go with a renewed running game, they might win a couple moar. That particular problem killed them at Utah.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dennis may be triggered by the ducks posting here about recruiting to immediate needs. Maybe he'll be laughing this time,since it's quooks instead of doogs, rather than throwing a fit and pinning another thread.
  • Options
    DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

I still think Oregon struck out at DT recruiting 2 years in a row. Their edge recruiting has been fucking phenomenal though

I think your definition of "struck out is pretty off base. Are there kids like Ika we missed on, yes. We did pretty well on the defensive line and only lose Jelks if you count him as a DE rather than OLB.

Kayvon Thibodeaux‍

Brandon Dorlus‍

Keyon Ware-Hudson‍

Sua'ava Poti‍

Isaac Townsend‍
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,429
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    DJDuck said:

Greenblood is right. I would take the Duck class over the Husky class any day, particularly given needs.

Oregon only loses 3 starters out of the 22. One big loss is Jelks. KT will fill that position nicely. Our WR's underperformed and we killed it in WR recruiting. We lose one linebacker and one cornerback. We did really well with recruiting the DB's and we got a couple of linebackers to add depth to the loss of Apelu who was undersized anyway.

This answer surprised me!

I was SHOCKED to read this
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2018

DJDuck said:

Greenblood is right. I would take the Duck class over the Husky class any day, particularly given needs.

Oregon only loses 3 starters out of the 22. One big loss is Jelks. KT will fill that position nicely. Our WR's underperformed and we killed it in WR recruiting. We lose one linebacker and one cornerback. We did really well with recruiting the DB's and we got a couple of linebackers to add depth to the loss of Apelu who was undersized anyway.

Which do you think is more important in recruiting? Signing 5 receivers or signing 5 defensive lineman, 4 of which are elite. Which position has more guys available and is easier to recruit? If you're going to rank classes, 4-star lineman should be weighted more than 4-star skill players because they're harder to recruit and have a greater impact on wins and losses. With that being said, UW's class blows Oregon's class out of the water, mainly because of what UW did recruiting the trenches.

But we can go position by position as well:

QB: Morris is rated higher, outperformed Cale at the Opening, and is deadly accurate and makes faster decisions with a quicker release. Cale has a much bigger frame, is more athletic, and had a more successful Senior season than Morris while playing with better high school talent around him. It's close to being a wash but Morris is a midget so I'll give it to Oregon for now.

RB: Cam Davis has a bigger frame and is faster than Dollars. Dollars was also taking back up reps at his high school at times. Edge: UW

WR: Oregon has signed way more WR's so far. It's not over yet because UW could end up with Ford and/or Nacua. But for now, the edge goes to Oregon.

TE: UW hasn't signed one. Oregon has. Edge: Oregon

O-line: Both signed two big 4-star lineman. Troy Fautanu who's the most athletic offensive lineman either school signed gives UW the edge here.

D-line: Not even close. UW destroyed everybody in the conference. Edge: UW

LB: About even right now, but once Heimuli commits, UW will have the edge here.

DB: Even without Asa Turner signed, UW still signed three 4-star DB's. Wright and McDuffie cancel out. UW edges Oregon because of the safety position and because one of those safeties was flipped from Oregon.

Right now, UW wins 5-3 with the chance to win 6-2 on the final signing day.
    D-line is split between DT and DE. UW killed it at DT, but Oregon equally killed at DE. I'm not saying equal, but if you factor in the DE position, Oregon isn't getting destroyed.

At OL I think Oregon and Washington go for different types of lineman. Kind of hard to compare. Id' put that as even.

RB- It's too close to call. I'm going even there as well.

WR for Oregon and DT for Washington were the standout differences.

You also asked if DT recruiting is more important then WR. I would mostly agree that DT especially on the west coast is more important, with this year being a slight exception. Oregon's WR corp was so bad this year, they had to make it a priority this year. You take away Dillon Mitchell, and that group would be a lower level Big Sky unit. Prior staffs completely missed the boat there. Next year however, DT will need to be an Oregon priority.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Additionally since some of you Huskies know very little when Talking about Oregon............

Some of you mentioned safeties. Oregon is not in dire need for safeties:

-We have 3 former 4 star recruits coming back this year Steve Stephens, Brady Breeze and a future star in Jevon Holland, plus Gipson and Picket which played important downs during last season.

Coming in is Trikweze Bridges a 4 star recruit from Alabama. Bridges has 31 career interceptions.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

DJDuck said:

Because filling 2019 needs with the 2019 class should work well.
    2019 needs are tailored to what you have coming back on your team in case you couldn't figure out why your returning starters/two deep are relevant.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2018
    Domicillo said:

DJDuck said:

Which do you think is more important in recruiting? Signing 5 receivers or signing 5 defensive lineman, 4 of which are elite. Which position has more guys available and is easier to recruit? If you're going to rank classes, 4-star lineman should be weighted more than 4-star skill players because they're harder to recruit and have a greater impact on wins and losses. With that being said, UW's class blows Oregon's class out of the water, mainly because of what UW did recruiting the trenches.

QB: Morris is rated higher, outperformed Cale at the Opening, and is deadly accurate and makes faster decisions with a quicker release. Cale has a much bigger frame, is more athletic, and had a more successful Senior season than Morris while playing with better high school talent around him. It's close to being a wash but Morris is a midget so I'll give it to Oregon for now.

RB: Cam Davis has a bigger frame and is faster than Dollars. Dollars was also taking back up reps at his high school at times. Edge: UW

WR: Oregon has signed way more WR's so far. It's not over yet because UW could end up with Ford and/or Nacua. But for now, the edge goes to Oregon.

O-line: Both signed two big 4-star lineman. Troy Fautanu who's the most athletic offensive lineman either school signed gives UW the edge here.

DB: Even without Asa Turner signed, UW still signed three 4-star DB's. Wright and McDuffie cancel out. UW edges Oregon because of the safety position and because one of those safeties was flipped from Oregon.

D-line is split between DT and DE. UW killed it at DT, but Oregon equally killed at DE. I'm not saying equal, but if you factor in the DE position, Oregon isn't getting destroyed.

At OL I think Oregon and Washington go for different types of lineman. Kind of hard to compare. Id' put that as even.

You also asked if DT recruiting is more important then WR. I would mostly agree that DT especially on the west coast is more important, with this year being a slight exception. Oregon's WR corp was so bad this year, they had to make it a priority this year. You take away Dillon Mitchell, and that group would be a lower level Big Sky unit. Prior staffs completely missed the boat there. Next year however, DT will need to be an Oregon priority.

Good luck finding a single west coast DT next year who is as good as the top 5 west coast DTs this year.
    Classy

I guess we'll see won't we...
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    DJDuck said:

Additionally since some of you Huskies know very little when Talking about Oregon............

Some of you mentioned safeties. Oregon is not in dire need for safeties:

-We have 3 former 4 star recruits coming back this year Steve Stephens, Brady Breeze and a future star in Jevon Holland, plus Gipson and Picket which played important downs during last season.

Coming in is Trikweze Bridges a 4 star recruit from Alabama. Bridges has 31 career interceptions.

Welcome back!
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs

DJDuck said:

Laiatu Latu cancels out Thibadeaux. UW and USC thought Latu was the the better prospect so KT's higher ranking doesn't give Oregon the edge there. Considering UW beat Notre Dame and Oregon for Trice and Ma'ae wasn't really heavily recruited by anybody outside of Oregon, I'd give the edge between those two to UW. But Oregon did take more DE's than UW by adding Townsend so I guess you could feel good about that. Probably a wait and see position to find out who got the better guys.

UW and Oregon are not going after different body types. Kalepo is 6'6 340. Buelow is 6'8 330. Oregon has their two big lineman in this class Tauauaau'u and Malaise-Lauaiaia whatever the fuck his name is. After that, Oregon doesn't have anybody but UW has Fautanu who's 6'4 290 and might be the best lineman we got in this class because he dominated Nolan Smith, the #1 rated player in the country when his team played against IMG. Fautanu likely gets a 4-star bump after the Poly bowl.

RB is not too close to call. Get out of here. Davis was preferred by UW and SC over Dollars. Davis is faster than Dollars with a bigger frame to fill out. From a pure talent stand point you gotta give it to Davis.
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs

The DT/DE/OLB stuff is interesting as well. Lets pencil Funa in Hollins spot and pencil KT where Jelks is. That’s amazing. But in a system where you only play 2 DT’s for UDUB to get these guys it’s like getting a two deep of KT/Funa.

But my whole point was the depth of Oregon’s class that scares me because Townsend and Ma’ae are back up plans for Latu and Trice. I just feel that way about a lot of Oregon’s class.

Keyon ware and sua’va would be behind Tui, Bandes, and Paama by quite a ways (basing this all off film). ILB they picked up that Mathis kid late and I don’t think funa is going to play inside. I wasn’t saying safety was major for them but if you look at all these guys they aren’t #1/#2 options outside of KT, Jonah, and Wright and kind of Mase due to the injury.

I see you're starting to come around.
  • Options
    DomicilloDomicillo Member Posts: 3,025
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Domicillo said:

DJDuck said:

Good luck finding a single west coast DT next year who is as good as the top 5 west coast DTs this year.
    Classy

I guess we'll see won't we...
    Nah, people who follow recruiting have seen this for about a year now.