Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW vs Oregon's class from a USC perspective

Found this post on a USC board which echos what people here have said...

I liked your OP for the most part. But you are a bit carried away with how many "priority" recruits Oregon beat us for.

I've been known to follow recruiting fairly closely. To my eye we wanted and lost to Oregon 3 important recruits: Funa, Jonah T, Aumavae-Laulu.

We did not prioritize (rightly or wrongly we shall find out) Dollars, Hudson-Ware, KT, Wright, nor Pittman. Some good or very good players here, but the staff didn't prioritize them (I wish they had on a couple of those, especially Wright).

I'm not being an apologist, just a realist. We lost 3 important battles to Oregon and it sucks.

We actually did worse against Washington. We tried to get several players that signed with them:

Latu and McDuffie at the top of the list. But we also tried to get Kalepo and Fautanu when Jonah T and Rhyan went/trended elsewhere, we tried to get Cam Williams and Asa Turner when our safety board was barren, we would have gladly taken Paama and Tuitele but couldn't get them, we reached out to Kamren Fabiculanan late when our CB cupboard was empty and we ignored Bandes for some unknown reason. Washington's class is stuffed with players we would have gladly signed.

So...yeah. For the first time in a long, long time, Trojans are tasting defeat to PAC12 schools in a large way on signing day. Sucks.

Comments

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2018
    Part of their issue was that they went for Williams, turner, kalepo, and fautanu late. Helton dropped the ball big time. How the fuck does USC ignore Bandes and Wright? This is a more systemic issue than just Washington and Oregon recruiting better. Helton is USC’s very own Helfrich. This program is in shambles right now.
  • Options
    Fear_BonerFear_Boner Member Posts: 756
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

@Dennis_DeYoung @CokeGreaterThanPepsi Objectively, would you take Oregon's class over ours? Please respond before Ballz comes to deliver aids to this thread.

No fucking way.
  • Options
    DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Greenblood is right. I would take the Duck class over the Husky class any day, particularly given needs.

Oregon only loses 3 starters out of the 22. One big loss is Jelks. KT will fill that position nicely. Our WR's underperformed and we killed it in WR recruiting. We lose one linebacker and one cornerback. We did really well with recruiting the DB's and we got a couple of linebackers to add depth to the loss of Apelu who was undersized anyway.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

DJDuck said:

Greenblood is right. I would take the Duck class over the Husky class any day, particularly given needs.

Oregon only loses 3 starters out of the 22. One big loss is Jelks. KT will fill that position nicely. Our WR's underperformed and we killed it in WR recruiting. We lose one linebacker and one cornerback. We did really well with recruiting the DB's and we got a couple of linebackers to add depth to the loss of Apelu who was undersized anyway.

We both filled needs.
    UW doesn’t really have any huge pressing needs, not like Oregon does. We have future depth needs which is what recruiting is suooosed to address. Would anyone be shocked if we RS this whole class like last one? I could see Heimuli or maybe Ford (we don’t get him) taking off the RS but even then it wouldn’t be significant.

Unless you mean Horn, which yeah, it’s a need. Not sure he fills it though.
    DL>>>
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

DJDuck said:

We both filled needs.
    UW doesn’t really have any huge pressing needs, not like Oregon does. We have future depth needs which is what recruiting is suooosed to address. Would anyone be shocked if we RS this whole class like last one? I could see Heimuli or maybe Ford (we don’t get him) taking off the RS but even then it wouldn’t be significant.

DL>>>
    DL wasn’t a need though in the sense they’re discussing.

Of course our DL class kills, that’s not the point.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

DJDuck said:

We both filled needs.

DL>>>
    DL wasn’t a need though in the sense they’re discussing.

Of course our DL class kills, that’s not the point.
    Oh yeah but we needed the depth. Hopefully everyone redshirts.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

I still think Oregon struck out at DT recruiting 2 years in a row. Their eagle recruiting has been fucking phenomenal though

They could have really used Marlon
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    edited December 2018
    DJDuck said:

Which do you think is more important in recruiting? Signing 5 receivers or signing 5 defensive lineman, 4 of which are elite. Which position has more guys available and is easier to recruit? If you're going to rank classes, 4-star lineman should be weighted more than 4-star skill players because they're harder to recruit and have a greater impact on wins and losses. With that being said, UW's class blows Oregon's class out of the water, mainly because of what UW did recruiting the trenches.

But we can go position by position as well:

QB: Morris is rated higher, outperformed Cale at the Opening, and is deadly accurate and makes faster decisions with a quicker release. Cale has a much bigger frame, is more athletic, and had a more successful Senior season than Morris while playing with better high school talent around him. It's close to being a wash but Morris is a midget so I'll give it to Oregon for now.

RB: Cam Davis has a bigger frame and is faster than Dollars. Dollars was also taking back up reps at his high school at times. Edge: UW

WR: Oregon has signed way more WR's so far. It's not over yet because UW could end up with Ford and/or Nacua. But for now, the edge goes to Oregon.

TE: UW hasn't signed one. Oregon has. Edge: Oregon

O-line: Both signed two big 4-star lineman. Troy Fautanu who's the most athletic offensive lineman either school signed gives UW the edge here.

D-line: Not even close. UW destroyed everybody in the conference. Edge: UW

LB: About even right now, but once Heimuli commits, UW will have the edge here.

DB: Even without Asa Turner signed, UW still signed three 4-star DB's. Wright and McDuffie cancel out. UW edges Oregon because of the safety position and because one of those safeties was flipped from Oregon.

Right now, UW wins 5-3 with the chance to win 6-2 on the final signing day.