Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Apu Ika, 2019 5* DT, Salt Lake Shitty (East), UT (Offered)

Comments

• Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Emoterman said:

Bread said:

Sounds like he is all Utah and wants a little fun and free stuff from Oregon before he announces.

You'd just wonder, why wouldn't he want more free stuff and dick suckings from UW, as well?

I do wonder how much the "CHAZ/Seattle is a city on the edge of ruin" narrative hurts with recruits. I think we heard that with that objection with Brock Bowers, and I've heard that worry when I tell people I live in Seattle. Polys tend to be pretty conservative (ISAFNRC) and that might be sufficient to nudge kids like this with other good options away from us.
    Turned off by the liberal politics of Seattle. He is considering only conservative places to live, like Eugene.

Live look at Americans outside Pacific time zone when reminded Eugene, OR exists.
  • Options
    The rare meltdown triple post! @FremontTroll and @insinceredawg who have downvoted me... Why you assuming my politics? I'm not saying it is a VALID concern, I'm just saying it is a concern I've heard.

Did you even CHAZ, bro?
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Where is there any evidence whatsoever that this kid in particular is turned off by "liberal Seattle"?

The "he might not like the cold weather" argument holds more weight than this
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Where is there any evidence whatsoever that this kid in particular is turned off by "liberal Seattle"?

The "he might not like the cold weather" argument holds more weight than this

There's literally none! I was merely musing that this might be a recruiting disadvantage, going forward.

Does this musing merit its own thread?

Edit: see https://hardcorehusky.com/discussion/comment/1358029/#Comment_1358029
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Emoterman said:

Emoterman said:

Bread said:

Sounds like he is all Utah and wants a little fun and free stuff from Oregon before he announces.

You'd just wonder, why wouldn't he want more free stuff and dick suckings from UW, as well?

I do wonder how much the "CHAZ/Seattle is a city on the edge of ruin" narrative hurts with recruits. I think we heard that with that objection with Brock Bowers, and I've heard that worry when I tell people I live in Seattle. Polys tend to be pretty conservative (ISAFNRC) and that might be sufficient to nudge kids like this with other good options away from us.
    This a serious post? Chaz is over and 20 year olds are not 40+ year old white, conservative men.
    It's a serious post, absolutely. Brock Bowers or his mom said that was a factor in eliminating UW.

These kids have parents who are 40+ year old white/black/poly/hispanic conservative men and women who watch Tucker Carlson and have a say in where they go. Tucker routinely has this goofus https://twitter.com/jasonrantz on hand wringing over how Seattle is about to be a modern Sodom.

I have people from out of the area express concern when I tell them I live here, they literally ask if my car is routinely molotov'd/used as a restroom by vagrants. Are they 17 year old boys? No, because I don't talk to teen bois and have my finger on their pulse. Maybe you do.
    SHUT UP
  • Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Emoterman said:

Emoterman said:

Bread said:

Turned off by the liberal politics of Seattle. He is considering only conservative places to live, like Eugene.

Live look at Americans outside Pacific time zone when reminded Eugene, OR exists.
    You’re right. I went to U of O and I still need to be reminded that Eugene exists for purposes besides the university. Blows my mind that 400,000 people live in the area.

Recruits don’t give a fuck about the politics of an area when picking a school to play football at. I bet Arian Foster regrets not going to Berkeley, but how many 18 year old star football players even know what CHAZ is? And if one or two recruits or parents said that it was a factor it’s because they weren’t going there to begin with, but thought they would take advantage of the platform to express their shit. I can guarantee you if there was a nightly MAGA parade through Seattle it wouldn’t sway Brock Bowers. Puka “Vote by mail should be illegal” Nacua
    hasn’t transferred yet. Washington football recruiting will survive this thing that I bet most American adults don’t know even existed.

I do have a story of Washington fucking over Bellotti and Oregon by using a similar angle. Oregon’s all time leading tackler and national record holder, Tom Graham, no relation to the current Thomas Graham, had a son that was a top recruit. Washington was telling Graham’s kid that Eugene is nothing but hippies. When they took their visit they stopped to ask some people for directions and these guys were stoned as fuck confused hippies and the recruit decided that the Washington people were right. He went to play at Colorado, where Slick Rick must have hid every Boulder hippie before their visit.

At least the recruiting loss didn’t hurt too much. Tom Graham’s son Daniel did wind up as a first team All-American, Mackey Award winner, first round draft pick, and had an 11 year NFL career but WDWHA.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    He’s going to Oregon. They have no DL and none coming in. He’ll be there best DT the second he steps on campus.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

He’s going to Oregon. They have no DL and none coming in. He’ll be there best DT the second he steps on campus.

They’re*
  • Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    dnc said:

dnc said:

They’re*
    His competition for best DT would be no one. There are no DTs. Big Joe Salave’a hasn’t recruited anyone.

I’m not saying anyone good, I mean bodies - he’s been the primary recruiter for four guys since 2017, and two of them are Faoliu brothers. The other DL with any potential were recruited by Cristobal and other assistants like Bobby Williams. There is talk brewing of his job security if he can’t land Ika and/or JTT. When you are the highest paid position coach in the conference and make more than almost every coordinator results are expected. He’s been big with Poly recruits, but not for his own position groups. You’ll get to see the shit results when Sean McGrew runs through that line like tissue paper.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    awfully close to a tug thread
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    apart from Fucker Carlson, if I was Siaki, i'd be a little concerned about getting double teamed every fucking play, eating up blockers and shit.

yeah, vita and gaines were awesome but that's yesterday.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    animate said:

apart from Fucker Carlson, if I was Siaki, i'd be a little concerned about getting double teamed every fucking play, eating up blockers and shit.

I mean, if he wants to play in the NFL, eating up double teams is exactly what he needs to put on tape
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    NEsnake12 said:

animate said:

I mean, if he wants to play in the NFL, eating up double teams is exactly what he needs to put on tape
    yeah, I agree that nfl types and scouts see that as a positive ... plus playing time and game tape is important too. apparently he wasn't getting that anymore at lsu.

I'm just saying that I'm not so sure that kids and players see it that way. They see flash and I don't think trench types see Washington necessarily in the same way as secondary types because of the scheme.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

We're FULL.

But he’s not.

Don't think Grinolds needs to ask his question on this one.
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,114

We're FULL.

But he’s not.

Isn’t that guy a little old??