Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Who said it: Sark or Mora?

2»

Comments

• AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,065 Standard Supporter

For the millionth time, it's not about Sark vs Mora. (But the fact that people feel the need to point out how bad Sark is in order to justify Mora's mediocrity is telling.)

It's about pushing back on the idea that Mora is some transcedant coach. That he's above excuse-making and tempering expectations and kick ass pressers.

The reality is that Mora is just another guy. He uses the same coach speak, he makes the same excuses. He's average. And not UW's savior.

Mediocre is a bit strong. He won the division last season and over achieved. This year is not yet finished and asu and USC will determine it.

If they are still losing to Stanford and oregon next year that is a red flag.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,293 Founders Club

For the millionth time, it's not about Sark vs Mora. (But the fact that people feel the need to point out how bad Sark is in order to justify Mora's mediocrity is telling.)

It's about pushing back on the idea that Mora is some transcedant coach. That he's above excuse-making and tempering expectations and kick ass pressers.

The reality is that Mora is just another guy. He uses the same coach speak, he makes the same excuses. He's average. And not UW's savior.

Mediocre is a bit strong. He won the division last season and over achieved. This year is not yet finished and asu and USC will determine it.

Time will tell, one way or the other, but I do think he will prove to be a very good college football coach. He's emphasizing the right areas in recruiting and bringing a physical style of play to UCLA, something that they've lacked for a very long time.

That said, I do think it is fair to say that his trajectory in the NFL was a lot like Neuheisel's in college, which does lend credibility to a wait and see position on him. And, in hindsight I'm also not so sure he over achieved last year. Rick "won" the division the year before with a gimpy team and a 6-6 record. That division has been very weak. Mora also closed out the season with three straight losses including a full on power plunger in the bowel game. Very Sark like. Still, I'd trade UCLA coaches and not spend a second thinking about the decision. We're going nowhere with Sark.
  • death2ducksdeath2ducks Member Posts: 991
    edited November 2013
    Look, @chrisvashon, DJ's coaching tree has the #1 college coach in the past 20 years, Saban. It has a top tier coach in Pinkel. On a lower branch is Mora. Mora never got a great shot at Atlanta or the Seahawks. So far, he looks better than Sark to me, but that's not hard, because Sark is an average OC and a lousy HC. We can hire a better OC and a better HC, that's not hard.

I really don't give a shit, who said what after a game. I care about how the kids respond to the coach. I actually care more about the fucked up Honks say, than I care about what the coach says. It's always predictable, obvious bull shit anyway.
  • Your_MomYour_Mom Member Posts: 393
    So then, you guys are okay with him losing to Oregon and Stanford, as long as he says the right things?

Sounds like a moral victorism to me... rather doogish.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,107 Founders Club
    He's average? Said
    Your_Mom said:

So then, you guys are okay with him losing to Oregon and Stanford, as long as he says the right things?

Sounds like a moral victorism to me... rather doogish.

Nobody said that, doog.
  • alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,858
    Rick won the south the year before and was fired. I wouldn't call that over achieving.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,107 Founders Club
    alumni94 said:

Rick won the south the year before and was fired. I wouldn't call that over achieving.

USC won the south and was ineligible. USC beat Rick by 60 points that year. HTH
  • chrisvashonchrisvashon Member Posts: 627

Look, @chrisvashon, DJ's coaching tree has the #1 college coach in the past 20 years, Saban. It has a top tier coach in Pinkel. On a lower branch is Mora. Mora never got a great shot at Atlanta or the Seahawks. So far, he looks better than Sark to me, but that's not hard, because Sark is an average OC and a lousy HC. We can hire a better OC and a better HC, that's not hard.

I really don't give a shit, who said what after a game. I care about how the kids respond to the coach. I actually care more about the fucked up Honks say, than I care about what the coach says. It's always predictable, obvious bull shit anyway.

I agree that IDGAF what a coach says in a presser. This thread is directed at those who, just a week ago, were posting links to Mora's press conference and fawning over what a badass, take-no-prisoners dude he is.

So it's pretty funny that a week later he goes full Sark and starts talking about how they're young and it's a process and it's going to take awhile.

That's it. Mora may well turn out to be a great coach (I'm very skeptical, but it could happen). But it will have nothing to do with his kick ass pressers. Just like always.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,968 Swaye's Wigwam
    Press conferences are on my ignore list unless the coach is having a meltdown. I love those. The best ones I've seen over the years have come from Jim Mora, Jim L Mora, and Herm Edwards. Not surprisingly those are three of my favorite coaches.

Coach speak is always gay but every coach uses it. Those guys get paid the big bucks to sit there in front of the media and use as many words as possible to say absolutely nothing. I pay no attention.
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    It's undoubtedly a good thing that football coaches aren't paid to talk,........ although the best amongst the craft seem to have the knack for getting the most mileage for the wind exhaled in public.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652

I agree that IDGAF what a coach says in a presser. This thread is directed at those who, just a week ago, were posting links to Mora's press conference and fawning over what a badass, take-no-prisoners dude he is.

So it's pretty funny that a week later he goes full Sark and starts talking about how they're young and it's a process and it's going to take awhile.

That's it. Mora may well turn out to be a great coach (I'm very skeptical, but it could happen). But it will have nothing to do with his kick ass pressers. Just like always.
    So much for "For the millionth time, it's not about Sark vs Mora."

PLSS, please stop hacking this poor man's account.