Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

So what do we want?

Comments

• Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'd rather take the chance at getting beat by a good team so you can see what needs to improve.

Plus, Pete is making Washington a destination. He's not a salesman. You either want to come to Washington to play in big games and improve, or you want to be a college superstar dancing on the sidelines playing in worthless games.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

whuggy said:

I don't want any fucking part of the playoff. I hate it on every level. It's stupid and awful.

Also - I want to be somewhere where we can recruit within 1000 miles of there. Fiesta, Holiday whatever. This team is not going to win a Natty - so let's go max benefit.

No way man. You're playing to win it all.
    No ribbons. Everything but the playoffs
    is exhibition football.
    This is why the playoff is FS.

We aren’t winning the playoff shit head. Would you like to one day? Yes, me too.

As such, we need to recruit about 50% better than we have been.

Now that we’ve got the right coach, we need the horses.

Anyone here who thinks we have a shot to win the playoff this year is a fucking moron.

The main reason we cannot Win the playoff this year is we don’t have the talent. Like it or lump it, it’s the truth.

For so long around here, the scales got so tilted toward “coaching is all that matters” because when you have shitty coaches, it’s true - it really doesn’t make a fuck bit of difference who you recruit.

However, when you have the RIGHT coaches (which we overwhelmingly do), it makes all the difference in the world.

If we had talent closer to USC’s rather than being closer to Iowa’s, we would be the UGA of the West. But as it stands now, we are the Wisconsin of the West because everyone knows that if we run into a top tier talent team, we will get stuffed. Like we did vs USC and Bama last year.

So while I’m not opposed to cutting my dick off, cut your own shit off if you don’t think that the thing separating us from entering the talent sphere where Clemson is now (which is achievable; we will never be in the same talent tier as Bama or USC) shouldn’t be the top priority of the program.

I am happy to take bets on our chances at winning the Natty this year... want them? Of course not.

So, all this shit is just symbolic posturing.
    tl;dr

I'm sure the Alamo Bowl is better than making the playoff. Kids LOVE it.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

whlinder said:

One of the ESPN idiots projected us to lose to USC but then end up in the Cotton Bowl against....

wait for it.......

TCU

I don't see a scenario where the Pac-12 gets two NY6 games.
    USC had three losses last year, didn't even win the south, and made the Rose Bowl. If they lose to UW for a third loss they are alive. No one else. UW losing to USC and ending 11-2 is not going to get a NY6 because, Washington
    Good poont. USC can get a second bid by losing to Washington if the Huskies make the CFP.

There's no logical scenario where Washington doesn't win the Pac-12 and somehow makes the NY6...is there?
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,298
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

whlinder said:

One of the ESPN idiots projected us to lose to USC but then end up in the Cotton Bowl against....

wait for it.......

TCU

USC had three losses last year, didn't even win the south, and made the Rose Bowl. If they lose to UW for a third loss they are alive. No one else. UW losing to USC and ending 11-2 is not going to get a NY6 because, Washington
    Good poont. USC can get a second bid by losing to Washington if the Huskies make the CFP.

There's no logical scenario where Washington doesn't win the Pac-12 and somehow makes the NY6...is there?
    Since the NY6 have become less important I’ve forgotten what the criteria are.... the bowls contracted to a conference champ have to replace from the same conference, right? And the group of 5 gets 1 team.

There won’t be too many teams left with fewer than 3 losses.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    edited November 2017
    whlinder said:

whlinder said:

wait for it.......

TCU

Since the NY6 have become less important I’ve forgotten what the criteria are.... the bowls contracted to a conference champ have to replace from the same conference, right? And the group of 5 gets 1 team.

There won’t be too many teams left with fewer than 3 losses.
    Pretty much. The Rose had to pick USC/Colorado to replace UW last year. They don't this year because they are a CFP semifinal. I think it's safe to assume UW would have to be in the top 10 to get into one of the four other bowls if the Huskies don't win the Pac-12. I don't think that happens, but it's too far out to know for sure right now.
  • Options
    gmogmo Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,644
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Whichever one gets Smiff fired

the end justifies the means.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,298
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    edited November 2017
    This info is hard to find. WTF. This was the best article I could find, and it includes some Psalm rape eyes:

https://www.fanragsports.com/the-cfp-bowl-selection-process-cheated-colorado/

But it sounds like after all the contracts are satisfied the remaining spots are filled on straight rankings.

Orange will fill both through their contract (non- playoff ACC highest vs SEC/B10/ND highest)
    Cotton (non-playoff B12 highest* vs at-large)
    Fiesta (non-playoff P12 highest vs at-large)
    Peach (at-large vs at-large)

One of the at-larges will be filled by a Group of 5 team.

*not sure if contractual, but I'm assuming it is

So be in the top 3 rankings of non-contractual at-larges.

So tldr is it is possible but too far out to know for sure.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,602
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    whlinder said:

This info is hard to find. WTF. This was the best article I could find, and it includes some Psalm rape eyes:

https://www.fanragsports.com/the-cfp-bowl-selection-process-cheated-colorado/

But it sounds like after all the contracts are satisfied the remaining spots are filled on straight rankings.

Orange will fill both through their contract (non- playoff ACC highest vs SEC/B10/ND highest)
    Cotton (non-playoff B12 highest* vs at-large)
    Fiesta (non-playoff P12 highest vs at-large)
    Peach (at-large vs at-large)

One of the at-larges will be filled by a Group of 5 team.

*not sure if contractual, but I'm assuming it is

So be in the top 3 rankings of non-contractual at-larges.

So tldr is it is possible but too far out to know for sure.

So I was right.

Not that any of this really matters after you lose to Utah or the tree.
  • Options
    CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

I don't want any fucking part of the playoff. I hate it on every level. It's stupid and awful.

Also - I want to be somewhere where we can recruit within 1000 miles of there. Fiesta, Holiday whatever. This team is not going to win a Natty - so let's go max benefit.

Exactly
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,817
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

whuggy said:

is exhibition football.

So you're saying Peterman needs more tim to get his guys in here?

Holy Doog.
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    phineas said:

I'd rather take the chance at getting beat by a good team so you can see what needs to improve.

Plus, Pete is making Washington a destination. He's not a salesman. You either want to come to Washington to play in big games and improve, or you want to be a college superstar dancing on the sidelines playing in worthless games.

This. Don James got it. Petersen gets it.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    whuggy said:

whuggy said:

is exhibition football.
    This is why the playoff is FS.

We aren’t winning the playoff shit head. Would you like to one day? Yes, me too.

As such, we need to recruit about 50% better than we have been.

Anyone here who thinks we have a shot to win the playoff this year is a fucking moron.

The main reason we cannot Win the playoff this year is we don’t have the talent. Like it or lump it, it’s the truth.

For so long around here, the scales got so tilted toward “coaching is all that matters” because when you have shitty coaches, it’s true - it really doesn’t make a fuck bit of difference who you recruit.

However, when you have the RIGHT coaches (which we overwhelmingly do), it makes all the difference in the world.

If we had talent closer to USC’s rather than being closer to Iowa’s, we would be the UGA of the West. But as it stands now, we are the Wisconsin of the West because everyone knows that if we run into a top tier talent team, we will get stuffed. Like we did vs USC and Bama last year.

So while I’m not opposed to cutting my dick off, cut your own shit off if you don’t think that the thing separating us from entering the talent sphere where Clemson is now (which is achievable; we will never be in the same talent tier as Bama or USC) shouldn’t be the top priority of the program.

I am happy to take bets on our chances at winning the Natty this year... want them? Of course not.

So, all this shit is just symbolic posturing.
    2022 should be special then. Can't wait. Pretty heavy dooging Dennis.
    WTF? He is enjoying this year and pointing out we can get better, do you disagree?
  • Options
    jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    UW cannot win the playoff this year. The better scenario is to win out, get left out along with Oklahoma/TCU for Notre Dame, and cause a massive uproar that changes the shitty system.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

UW cannot win the playoff this year. The better scenario is to win out, get left out along with Oklahoma/TCU for Notre Dame, and cause a massive uproar that changes the shitty system.

There won't be massive uproar if UW gets left out this year. If Notre Dame goes 11-1, they deserve to be in more than Oklahoma, TCU, and UW do.
    Potential 1 loss teams that would get in ahead of a 12-1 UW:

Bama
    Notre Dame
    Clemson
    Oklahoma/TCU winner
    Georgia

What we? really need is Wisconsin to get a loss to eliminate the Big, Georgia to drop one before the SEC championship game, and ND to drop one. If those three things happen we're in if we win out. If one of them doesn't, we need the B12 winner to have multiple losses.

I don't think Miami or Wiscy would get in ahead of UW in potential 1 loss conference championship scenarios, but I'm not confident they wouldn't. That's why Wiscy needs to lose. Miami is losing to Clemson or eliminating Clemson, so they won't really be an issue either way.