Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Anyone have the scoop on President Young?

Calls himself as a football president. To his credit, he did "oversee" what happened @ Utah, including '08

Comments

• Calls himself as a football president. To his credit, he did "oversee" what happened @ Utah, including '08

Who is to say? I mean Gerbding was president during UW's best years but he wasn't a good football president at all.
  • unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    edited October 2013
    Just curious if anyone has a clear read on the guy, he's a decision maker. The root of the problem includes AD.

Our Board of Regents is, how to put it...a little more "progressive" than I remember back in the day.

http://www.washington.edu/regents/officers/
  • CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    Absolutely horrifying. This state is fucking lib traded.

We're fucked 4 life in this state.
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

I'd rather have this guy as AD than Woodward.
    Saw that - you're a pending regent and you have no photo

I love lamp
  • digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,502
    If Young does not bring in his own AD, Sark stays however long he wants. What I've heard about Mormon Young is that he was ran out of state in Utah because he divorced his wife of more than 30 years. He resigned May 2011 to take the UW job, his fiance and him jumped on his Harley, they rode off into the sunset, up to Seattle and married less than a month later. UW hired him simply to generate $$$ from their research, turning research into businesses/companies/capital= dollars, which is what he was known for and successful @ in Utah. However, from what I've heard so far, he is not delivering. Rather, it sounds as if Young is merely sitting on his ass and milking his UW job, almost as a sort of retirement package, with his new trophy wife, UW Pres. mansion and Harley in tow. In other words, he has been a huge disappointment.

My only hope is he brings in Utah AD Chris Hill (http://utahutes.cstv.com/school-bio/utah-athdir.html), whose notable hires include Rick Majerus and Urban Meyer. I don't give a fuck, anybody who hired Urban Meyer to his 1st "major" college head coaching job has my vote of confidence. I emailed the Mormon my concerns, to bring in Chris Hill, provided statistical data from 7WS' miserable UW tenure, but he did not personally reply. Rather, he had a staff member reply to me. That reply left me feeling worse than before that we will nut up and hire a quality HC. Unfortunately, I think we are fuct for a very long time. I encourage any and all of you to email him to voice your concerns and include that you will not be attending any Husky games until a change is made: president@uw.edu
    Good info - dovetails with what I've heard.

Young came to the UW after sleeping with the wife and daughter-in-law of U of Utah's two most generous donors.

Perhaps there are more, which means blackmail is possible. I'm holding out hope
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    I sent Young an email. Probably a waste of time, but fuck it. I wish the rest of the fan base wasn't a bunch of pussies. I bet over 50% of the people who attend or watch games still support Sark. Some people would support anyone, which was proven in the Ty years.

Good info - dovetails with what I've heard.

Young came to the UW after sleeping with the wife and daughter-in-law of U of Utah's two most generous donors.

Perhaps there are more, which means blackmail is possible. I'm holding out hope

Michael K. Young= Richard McCormick 2.0

I sent Young an email. Probably a waste of time, but fuck it. I wish the rest of the fan base wasn't a bunch of pussies. I bet over 50% of the people who attend or watch games still support Sark. Some people would support anyone, which was proven in the Ty years.

Fuck it, can't hurt.

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,378 Founders Club
    I am actually kind of liking a Mormon who bangs out a boosters wife AND daughter in law.

Maybe Petrino is in play. Imagine those two going booming.
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389

Calls himself as a football president. To his credit, he did "oversee" what happened @ Utah, including '08

Be wary of presidents claiming to be "football presidents". It's apparently not a good thing to have on your resume if you want to be president at UW. Dr. Mark "Snakeoil" Emmert came to UW from LSU blowing his horn about having hired Saban to coach the Bengal Tigers to a national championship and telling us (Tyee boosters) that he fully understood that the UW had not taken care of Husky Football fans and promising to turn-around that official UW disregard and indifference for our interests. Dr. Snakeoil then proceeded to give us one lame-duck year of Gilby, four years of AD Todd Turner overlapping with four hideous and insulting years of TyBall, and a phony one-year search for a new AD,..... all before leaving us with AD-in-training Scott Woodward and head football coach-in-training Steve Sarkisian to escape UW and go fuck-up the NCAA. When it comes to intercollegiate football, the man is a menace.

I would prefer that President Young simply and quietly find another job for Woody that better fits his background and skills somewhere on the other side of campus,...... following a successful search for a Joe Kearny/Mike Lude type of football knowledgeable and experienced athletic director whose primary responsibility will be to put championship Husky styled football back into renovated Husky Stadium, period. Enough with the fucking around which we've been suffering through now for over two decades! If a UW president can't do that, then he doesn't belong anywhere near Montlake.

The common denominator of the last 20 years is the BOR, correct? I think they deserve as much blame as anyone for letting this shitshow spiral out of control for the last 20 years.
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389

If Young does not bring in his own AD, Sark stays however long he wants. What I've heard about Mormon Young is that he was ran out of state in Utah because he divorced his wife of more than 30 years. He resigned May 2011 to take the UW job, his fiance and him jumped on his Harley, they rode off into the sunset, up to Seattle and married less than a month later. UW hired him simply to generate $$$ from their research, turning research into businesses/companies/capital= dollars, which is what he was known for and successful @ in Utah. However, from what I've heard so far, he is not delivering. Rather, it sounds as if Young is merely sitting on his ass and milking his UW job, almost as a sort of retirement package, with his new trophy wife, UW Pres. mansion and Harley in tow. In other words, he has been a huge disappointment.

My only hope is he brings in Utah AD Chris Hill (http://utahutes.cstv.com/school-bio/utah-athdir.html), whose notable hires include Rick Majerus and Urban Meyer. I don't give a fuck, anybody who hired Urban Meyer to his 1st "major" college head coaching job has my vote of confidence. I emailed the Mormon my concerns, to bring in Chris Hill, provided statistical data from 7WS' miserable UW tenure, but he did not personally reply. Rather, he had a staff member reply to me. That reply left me feeling worse than before that we will nut up and hire a quality HC. Unfortunately, I think we are fuct for a very long time. I encourage any and all of you to email him to voice your concerns and include that you will not be attending any Husky games until a change is made: president@uw.edu

According to the little bit of news I receive from the engineering and medical schools plus the alumni magazine and letters, it's apparent that UW administrators are very excited about the potential for spinning off capital ventures from research successes in which the University will share partnerships as it chooses. From reports, many at the UW are content with progress so far in this new business area, but unless you're inside of it, who knows for certain.

It's been reported I believe in the news media and elsewhere that a group of high powered friends of the UW headed by Bill Gates Sr. has been formed to muster local business support and lobbying with state officials to come up with substantial funds to expand engineering and science colleges on the main and branch campuses. It's estimated that western Washington businesses and industry are running short of filling around 35,000 openings for tech jobs mostly at or near entry level and this problem is growing each year. The supply line to the Pacific Northwest for engineers and scientists from the rest of the USA has run dry and this shortage compounds the UW's struggles to staff research programs that might lead to spin-off capital ventures. Of course, it also means more and more engineers and scientists immigrating to the Seattle Tacoma area from Asia. Not good in my view during this period of high US unemployment and while my alma mater is turning away more student applicants for engineering and science fields than is being accepted.

The UW is a $9.1billion per annum operation that's trying to explode in taking business advantage of successes in research while the state legislature and governor continue to cut funding for higher ed. State funding for the UW was I understand cut again this year from approx. $400 million down to around $270 million which is getting so small that one wonders why the State even bothers with the UW at all. This funding is of course for undergraduate higher ed which is where the UW and other regional universities and colleges are coming up short in the tech disciplines. It's been reported that the Gates Sr. group has come up with a pledge of something like $50 million for engineering and science colleges, but I don't know if this is for just the UW or all the State schools.

With the UW's lack of state support and the dire consequences that's having on western Washington business and industry, president Young should have his hands full with University business that's far more important than Husky Football or anything in UW athletics going on east of Montlake. He needs to get a strong AD with plenty of associate AD staff into Tubby Graves and delegate them to take care of all Husky sports interests as they are paid to do. Just win baby! It ain't rocket science.

• PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    CaptainPJ said:

This political shit is fucking BS. Donna Shalala was President of the University of miami when they won a national title. It doesn't matter whether somebody is a conservative or a liberal. What matters is if they see the value of a dominant sports program. Some of you guys are so fucking narrow-minded.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,107 Founders Club
    Passion said:

CaptainPJ said:

This political shit is fucking BS. Donna Shalala was President of the University of miami when they won a national title. It doesn't matter whether somebody is a conservative or a liberal. What matters is if they see the value of a dominant sports program. All of us guys are so fucking narrow-minded.
    Passion said:

CaptainPJ said:

This political shit is fucking BS. Donna Shalala was President of the University of miami when they won a national title. It doesn't matter whether somebody is a conservative or a liberal. What matters is if they see the value of a dominant sports program. Some of you guys are so fucking narrow-minded.
    Says the flaming communist libtard.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Swaye said:

Passion said:

CaptainPJ said:

What's with the labels, man?

Swaye said:

Passion said:

CaptainPJ said:

What's with the labels, man?
    It's all my narrow minded brain can come up with.