Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sa'Vell Smalls, 6* 2020 BUCK, Seattle (Kennedy), WA (SIGNED)

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,803
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

uzi said:

dnc said:

I thought Smalls told UW coaches to forget about him...that he's not coming to UW.

He wanted to be here.

He freaked out, had a fight, said some things he didn't mean, told people we were out.

But we were never out.

He was upset, but he got over it.

The important point (and I don't remember who made it) was you only call a reporter to tell him you're dropping one specific school (not releasing a new top _______) when that school is the one that matters most to you.

That's UW.

Hate isn't the opposite of love, indifference is.

He's never been indifferent about us.

ITB.
    Reminds me of a funny story about my cousin who didn't get into the UW the first time she applied.

She was so hurt (most of her friends got in) that she wrote a letter to the UW admissions department acting like she never got their rejection letter and was instead writing to tell them that she was withdrawing her application because she decided to go somewhere else.

Long story short she finally got in after attending BCC for a year. And now her oldest boy is a UW alumni. So it all worked out in the end.

But that letter she wrote to them was the kind of drama that only an 18 yo girl could come up with.

Or OBK.

I don’t know...I’ve seen a lot of adults pull the “you can’t fire me, I QUIT!” move.

Glad everything worked out for your cousin BTW.
    I'm still gonna have to throw the YKW flag.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

I rarely play the part of the glass half full guy, but here goes... This is far from over. It's May, and awfully warm for December.

Putting out an article with the sole purpose of saying Fuck You to UW reads like an emotional overreaction to something. "Sounds like you care," in recruit form, basically. UW's definitely in a shitty spot right now, but it's not the worst spot. I'd rather be here than given a pity spot in a top 6 (s/o Cuog) when in reality the kid is apathetic and never seriously considering coming here.

It's like a girl saying she fucking hates you and never wants to talk to you ever again after a fight ... in reality you're going to beat again in a week or two once the dust settles. It sucks in the moment, but you jerk off in the interim and let her get over it. Compare that to going on a couple dates, it's okay but you never click, maybe get a courtesy kiss, but it's obviously not going anywhere.

You can flip an emotional reaction because there's something to work with; you're dead in the water once apathy sets in.

tyfys
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,803
    proof said:

"What stood out to me was how bought in the players are to Coach Pruitt and the rest of the coaching staff," Smalls said. "Even coming off a disappointing season, everybody in the building is still extremely bought in and trusting Coach Pruitt and his process. They also have a great business program, which would allow me to also do something on the side that interests me, as well."

Smalls didn't include Tennessee in the top 12 he announced in February, but the Vols have become more of a contender for him over the past couple of months.

Tennessee tight ends coach Brian Niedermeyer traveled to Parkland, Wash., on June 15 for the Pacific Lutheran University 11-on-11 high school football tournament and showcase, where he got a chance to work with Smalls.

"He's the head coach and he's, like, the outside-linebacker master," Smalls told the TV show at the time. "He's an expert about defense. He's a defensive guru, and he really develops pass rushers like no other. And that's a big plus, being the head coach. And Tennessee's up-and-coming."

"I'm still sticking with committing in February so I can see everything and have all my cards laid out," Smalls said at the time.
    Foster has the best Business program out of the bunch. Sales Program, Marketing, Business Economics or Accounting. Choose any and you're set.
    @VenoysPinkyRing , true?

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Ektard:

The Huskies and Smalls have been talking pretty regularly for nearly two full months.

Right after he went public with his decision to leave the Huskies out of his top eight, things cooled down. The coaches gave the kid some time to think about his decision and didn't pressure him.

After some of the local fallout and the way the fans reacted (the more constructive criticisms obviously), it got him thinking.

His parents have always been in Washington's corner. The fact that he's a local kid and he knows a lot of the local high school stud athletes as well as players like Myles Gaskin and Nate Kalepo, two players who opted to be Dawgs and who are very well-connected with the football community also has helped Washington's cause.

The coaches not pursuing him surprised him a bit. I think he expected them to come after him that much harder, but when they slow-played it and seemed to move in a different direction, that was pretty influential also.

He just released his top six and Washington, along with Alabama, Florida State, Tennessee, Oregon and Washington State, were the schools he chose.

Some are surprised that Florida and Clemson aren't on the list, but things have been trending down for Florida and I am not so sure that Clemson will have a need for a guy like Smalls.

Look, he's a great athlete and he has the chance to be a great player once he gets to college. Like most kids his age, his eyes got very big and he was enamored with the bright lights of "big time football in the SEC" or anywhere outside of the Pac 12 honestly. But as he's gone through this process, like most kids, Smalls has grown wiser and things that weren't as important to him have become more important to him.

Now, I am not saying he will ultimately choose Washington. I do, however, believe that if he wants to maximize his talents, Washington is definitely the best place for him.

At Alabama, he's just another guy to them. They have some really talented edge guys who are just as talented as Smalls, while FSU, with Willie Taggart, will not come close to developing him like he'll need once he gets to college.

I don't see him heading to Tennessee, but that one's an interesting school to keep an eye on. With the way they've been recruiting and the staff there, they could be a the darkhorse for his services.

I don't see him going to Pullman, so I think keeping WSU in there basically just was a nod to the Cougars and the faithful who follow them.

Oregon could be a real player for him, but I think that they reside behind Washington right now.

Getting Smalls away from the influence of Joey Thomas, who has been a negative influence on his life (and not just because of his axe to grind against the Huskies), has been big. So has his building relationship with Sam Huard and a coach like Sheldon Cross who loves the Husky football staff and program (he's got ties to WSU as well).

Smalls is a smart kid and is a good kid. His immaturity has shown through a couple of times and I have pointed that out on the board, but there has been no reason to go overboard and say he's "not OKG" or "good riddance". A player like Smalls committing to UW would have incredible repurcussions for the Huskies down the road. His talent not withstanding, his status in local recruiting circles is immense and he knows a lot of kids.

If he chose Washington, regardless of how he developed or contributed as a player, it would definitely help the staff bring in a lot of the local studs that are in other classes.

This one is a ways away from wrapping up, but Washington appears to be in great shape heading into the season and I expect they will be in this one until the end.

Scotty no balls strikes again.

Make a call you coward.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,706
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

dnc said:

Ektard:

The Huskies and Smalls have been talking pretty regularly for nearly two full months.

Right after he went public with his decision to leave the Huskies out of his top eight, things cooled down. The coaches gave the kid some time to think about his decision and didn't pressure him.

After some of the local fallout and the way the fans reacted (the more constructive criticisms obviously), it got him thinking.

His parents have always been in Washington's corner. The fact that he's a local kid and he knows a lot of the local high school stud athletes as well as players like Myles Gaskin and Nate Kalepo, two players who opted to be Dawgs and who are very well-connected with the football community also has helped Washington's cause.

The coaches not pursuing him surprised him a bit. I think he expected them to come after him that much harder, but when they slow-played it and seemed to move in a different direction, that was pretty influential also.

He just released his top six and Washington, along with Alabama, Florida State, Tennessee, Oregon and Washington State, were the schools he chose.

Some are surprised that Florida and Clemson aren't on the list, but things have been trending down for Florida and I am not so sure that Clemson will have a need for a guy like Smalls.

Look, he's a great athlete and he has the chance to be a great player once he gets to college. Like most kids his age, his eyes got very big and he was enamored with the bright lights of "big time football in the SEC" or anywhere outside of the Pac 12 honestly. But as he's gone through this process, like most kids, Smalls has grown wiser and things that weren't as important to him have become more important to him.

Now, I am not saying he will ultimately choose Washington. I do, however, believe that if he wants to maximize his talents, Washington is definitely the best place for him.

At Alabama, he's just another guy to them. They have some really talented edge guys who are just as talented as Smalls, while FSU, with Willie Taggart, will not come close to developing him like he'll need once he gets to college.

I don't see him heading to Tennessee, but that one's an interesting school to keep an eye on. With the way they've been recruiting and the staff there, they could be a the darkhorse for his services.

I don't see him going to Pullman, so I think keeping WSU in there basically just was a nod to the Cougars and the faithful who follow them.

Oregon could be a real player for him, but I think that they reside behind Washington right now.

Getting Smalls away from the influence of Joey Thomas, who has been a negative influence on his life (and not just because of his axe to grind against the Huskies), has been big. So has his building relationship with Sam Huard and a coach like Sheldon Cross who loves the Husky football staff and program (he's got ties to WSU as well).

Smalls is a smart kid and is a good kid. His immaturity has shown through a couple of times and I have pointed that out on the board, but there has been no reason to go overboard and say he's "not OKG" or "good riddance". A player like Smalls committing to UW would have incredible repurcussions for the Huskies down the road. His talent not withstanding, his status in local recruiting circles is immense and he knows a lot of kids.

If he chose Washington, regardless of how he developed or contributed as a player, it would definitely help the staff bring in a lot of the local studs that are in other classes.

This one is a ways away from wrapping up, but Washington appears to be in great shape heading into the season and I expect they will be in this one until the end.

Scotty no balls strikes again.

Make a call you coward.
    I’m hearing they bat 1.000
    .998 actually thats why they get criticized so much.