Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Cohen talks Romar

DHDDHD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,407
5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
Founders Club
On Softy's show the other day.

https://www.iheart.com/show/139-Softy-Interviews/?episode_id=28057910

If you don't feel like listening, here's the summary:

This wasn't a "Lorenzo gave us good years, built a good foundation, we thank him for his service, but it's time to move on" interview.

It was more of a "Romar was lazy and wouldn't put in the work and the culture of program sucked" interview. It's worth a listen because it's a remarkably subtle trashing of the guy she just fired. She couldn't muster a single positive thing to say about Romar and routinely circled back to fairly scathing criticisms.

Having never heard much of anything she's had to say before, this interview made her come off as fairly ruthless.

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,052
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    The B-Roy and Nate team way underachieved
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

The B-Roy and Nate team way underachieved

How do you figure?

The #1 seeded team with Nate lost to a Louisville team that was a terrible matchup for UW because they could abuse them on the interior/rebounding and the zone that they played was long enough to be able to keep our ability to penetrate to a minimum and force us to shoot from distance (wasn't our strength).

The BRoy team that lost to UConn was Romar's best shot at getting to a Final Four and they really found ways to lose that game. I still get pissed at how bad the defense was on the game tying 3 at the end of regulation (and it has nothing to do with the decision to foul or not foul). There were a lot of things that went wrong in that game ... but there were a lot of things that went right as well.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Fuck you! That's my name. Hit the bricks pal
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,858
    Meek said:

Didn't listen to it but if that was the tone by Cohen hen my guess is that behind closed doors Romar was being a dick and telling her she couldn't fire him because of the next recruiting class and she probaby said fuck you.

Life lesson: Be careful who are a dick to on the way up because they can fuck you on the way back down.

• Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I love the non-pc way she speaks and tells it like it is (sounds like the female version of Coach Pete)
    Tequilla said:

Meek said:

Didn't listen to it but if that was the tone by Cohen hen my guess is that behind closed doors Romar was being a dick and telling her she couldn't fire him because of the next recruiting class and she probaby said fuck you.

Or that Cohen would have fired Romar well before now if she really had control but the timing wasn't ideal given when she took over the job officially last year (couldn't have made the move as interim AD) ... the fact that Romar imploded made it really easy for her to make the change without being overly opposed by those inside the UW community ... the Seattle hoops community is a completely different issue altogether ... but they've been largely content with doing less with more and not living up to expectations for a while now.
    Love the non-pc way she speaks (sounds like the female version of Petersen)

Two comments were telling: First was her saying over last year it was obvious both the on and off court b-ball results were broke and second later in the interview saying the program was so bad overall that the "current management" would be unable to fix it.

Tequilla is exactly right in that you don't come to that conclusion in just a years time. Had she not been the intern AD March 2016 on the job for about a month she would have pulled the plug last year.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,052
    Founders Club
    AlCzervik said:

What was in the box?
  • Options

AlCzervik said:

What was in the box?
    Romar's balls.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Doesn't surprise me. Remember in an interview earlier this year with NWG he said they didn't even watch film when he was at UW? Lol

Romar threw in the towel a long time ago.

There is a very real thing in coaching that happens when you have your best team and don't get to the mountain top. I've personally seen it happen to a handful of high school coaches and a Pac-12 football coach. Look at it from LoRo's angle. He had Brandon Roy and Nasty Nate and couldn't even get to a regional final.

When you pay people state lottery salary you have to be very watchful of how much they really care. I've been told by more than a few people that Slingblade was a different person after the Ohip State game. Mariota isn't walking through the door again and you're guaranteed to be worth $20+ million win or lose.
  • Options
    Mosster47 said:

Doesn't surprise me. Remember in an interview earlier this year with NWG he said they didn't even watch film when he was at UW? Lol

Romar threw in the towel a long time ago.

There is a very real thing in coaching that happens when you have your best team and don't get to the mountain top. I've personally seen it happen to a handful of high school coaches and a Pac-12 football coach. Look at it from LoRo's angle. He had Brandon Roy and Nasty Nate and couldn't even get to a regional final.

When you pay people state lottery salary you have to be very watchful of how much they really care. I've been told by more than a few people that Slingblade was a different person after the Ohip State game. Mariota isn't walking through the door again and you're guaranteed to be worth $20+ million win or lose.
    You pay these guys pro-type money, it shouldn't be any surprise when pro-type expectations come along with it.

If Pete Carroll missed the playoffs for six years in a row, his ass would be terminated. Period. End of story.

And that's in a business that makes money. College athletic budgets are generally in the red every year.

These long-term sliders are just that, sliders. Romar DNGAF about the program with his $3M+ severance. He's banging Costa Rican waitresses or doing blow off hookers's asses or whatever it is that people that have made millions over the past 15 years do. (yes, I sound poor, I know).