Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mrs. Gregg Marshall's perfect day: "We would be in Washington ...

So the Wichita State's coach's wife is from Bellingham and played basketball at Western.

from 2014:

Where does she see herself in 10 years? “I see us living by the water, and I hope Gregg is retired by then,” she said.

Might us well get a jump on that lake house.

Will say Cohen seemed awfully confident at the podium, like she had UW's new coach in place.

Maybe she'll announce Marshall after Wichita State exits the NCAA Tournament?

Comments

• Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    We have Tosh a boat. How hard would it be to give Marshall a lake house?
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    God damn it don't tease me.
  • Options
    BabsGilbyTawdTyBabsGilbyTawdTy Member Posts: 1,058
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Cohen (along with Emmert's boyfriend, supposedly) landed Chris Petersen.

Marshall is pretty much the basketball equivalent of Pete.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

So the Wichita State's coach's wife is from Bellingham and played basketball at Western.

from 2014:

Where does she see herself in 10 years? “I see us living by the water, and I hope Gregg is retired by then,” she said.

Will say Cohen seemed awfully confident at the podium, like she had UW's new coach in place.

You know why.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

from 2014:

To plagiarism myself:

Saban. Spurrier. Marshall.

There's always a couple doogs who think we're getting the guy who's not from the west coast but every school would kill to have.

Don't be that doog.

We aren't getting Greg Marshall. Book it, lead pipe lock it, get all the screenshots you need. Greg* Marshall will not coach here in 2017.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

from 2014:

To plagiarism myself:

There's always a couple doogs who think we're getting the guy who's not from the west coast but every school would kill to have.

Don't be that doog.

We aren't getting Greg Marshall. Book it, lead pipe lock it, get all the screenshots you need. Greg* Marshall will not coach here in 2017.
    You've made your point I think.
  • Options
    Gladstone said:

dnc said:

from 2014:

To plagiarism myself:

Don't be that doog.

You think we're getting Marshall?
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,126

Not if you ask the Romar-loving doogs who now see Cohen as Public Enemy No. 1. According to them, Cohen can't be credited with landing Petersen, it was all Woodward, and the hiring of this new basketball coach will define her legacy.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

MelloDawg said:

Not if you ask the Romar-loving doogs who now see Cohen as Public Enemy No. 1. According to them, Cohen can't be credited with landing Petersen, it was all Woodward, and the hiring of this new basketball coach will define her legacy.
    I think she has a couple of other assets that have already defined her.

Don't twist.
    If titty twisting is wrong, I don't want to be right.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

Gladstone said:

dnc said:

from 2014:

To plagiarism myself:

Don't be that doog.

what

no

but you've made your point and should let us negas enjoy being optimistic about the program for the first time in seven years lol
  • Options
    Gladstone said:

dnc said:

Gladstone said:

dnc said:

from 2014:

To plagiarism myself:

Don't be that doog.

what

no

but you've made your point and should let us negas enjoy being optimistic about the program for the first time in seven years lol
    I'm optimistic about the program. Marshall is beyond optimistic.

But I'll LEAVE it alone for now.

MARSHALL TO UW!!!!!!
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,409
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Just what we need, another coach who retires while coaching here
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The smart money would be on the list you created ...

My gut says that this move was made to make a big splash ... this program is becoming a national laughing matter because of the incompetence of Romar ... and there's a lot of egg on the face of those supporters who have blindly supported Romar and had the wool pulled over their eyes. This year was rock bottom for them ... and when you couple where basketball is with where Pete has taken the football program in 3 years I'm guessing that the basketball movers and shakers are wanting to see something positive happen and happen soon.

Nothing against Mussleman or Rice but they aren't moving the needle. Bennett just isn't a fit and given that he's close to Romar he's not taking the job since we fired him (I could see him finally jumping to Cal). Majerle would actually be an interesting guy and I could see Arizona State jumping on him after Hurley turns ASU around and leaves to go somewhere else.

Nobody realistically thought that Pete was in play ... but in hindsight, we can understand why Pete made the move when he did. He stated it's the only metro area he had really targeted. He'd wanted the job for a while. The value system fit his. He had basically maxed out at his current level and if he wanted to compete on the big stage he needed a bigger platform.

Compare that to Marshall's situation ... he's getting screwed yearly at Wichita in the pursuit of competing in the NCAAs by being perpetually under seeded. The Missouri Valley Conference is ultimately going to limit his ability to recruit at a national level and there's not a built in recruiting pipeline locally. His wife is from the area and in-laws live here still. He's shown himself to be largely loyal to programs so you don't have to be fearful that he'd use Washington as a stepping stone job. His programs demand energy, effort, accountability, planning, and performance ... things that have been tied into what UW expects out of their programs. There's a reasonable fit.

The one area that I laugh at is this idea that because Marshall makes $3.3M a year in Wichita he therefore would need a $5M salary to coach at UW. He may need a $5M a year salary to coach at UW depending on the competition and if a bidding war breaks out and he's driven by that (I don't personally think that he is from what I've gathered about him over the years). My guess is that he'd probably be just fine being at a compensation level similar to Petersen provided that the AD was as supportive at providing the program the resources necessary as has been done Petersen.

In some ways, what doesn't make sense sometimes can make the most sense. I'm optimistic.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

from 2014:

Cal's a better job.
  • Options

My gut says that this move was made to make a big splash ... this program is becoming a national laughing matter because of the incompetence of Romar ... and there's a lot of egg on the face of those supporters who have blindly supported Romar and had the wool pulled over their eyes. This year was rock bottom for them ... and when you couple where basketball is with where Pete has taken the football program in 3 years I'm guessing that the basketball movers and shakers are wanting to see something positive happen and happen soon.

Nothing against Mussleman or Rice but they aren't moving the needle. Bennett just isn't a fit and given that he's close to Romar he's not taking the job since we fired him (I could see him finally jumping to Cal). Majerle would actually be an interesting guy and I could see Arizona State jumping on him after Hurley turns ASU around and leaves to go somewhere else.

Nobody realistically thought that Pete was in play ... but in hindsight, we can understand why Pete made the move when he did. He stated it's the only metro area he had really targeted. He'd wanted the job for a while. The value system fit his. He had basically maxed out at his current level and if he wanted to compete on the big stage he needed a bigger platform.

Compare that to Marshall's situation ... he's getting screwed yearly at Wichita in the pursuit of competing in the NCAAs by being perpetually under seeded. The Missouri Valley Conference is ultimately going to limit his ability to recruit at a national level and there's not a built in recruiting pipeline locally. His wife is from the area and in-laws live here still. He's shown himself to be largely loyal to programs so you don't have to be fearful that he'd use Washington as a stepping stone job. His programs demand energy, effort, accountability, planning, and performance ... things that have been tied into what UW expects out of their programs. There's a reasonable fit.

The one area that I laugh at is this idea that because Marshall makes $3.3M a year in Wichita he therefore would need a $5M salary to coach at UW. He may need a $5M a year salary to coach at UW depending on the competition and if a bidding war breaks out and he's driven by that (I don't personally think that he is from what I've gathered about him over the years). My guess is that he'd probably be just fine being at a compensation level similar to Petersen provided that the AD was as supportive at providing the program the resources necessary as has been done Petersen.

In some ways, what doesn't make sense sometimes can make the most sense. I'm optimistic.

Where did Tequila originally post this?
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,082
    Founders Club

Thank you Tequilla
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

1) 5 reasons likes to talk about time of possession being a huge issue leading to a rather easy 34-17 victory ... I'm going to amend that a bit here by saying that it will be the number of possessions in the game that we need to pay attention to. There's obviously a lot that goes into making this a reality, but a good number to keep in mind is 12 drives. We need to keep the game to 12 drives or less. Last week at Cal they had 13. Week before at WSU there were 15 drives. Need to keep the number down as much as possible.

2) Crystal Pepsi likes to talk about explosive plays - and that's a HUGE stat when playing Oregon. Last week against Cal, we limited their big plays and their only TD drive was an 18 play drive. Oregon kills you with the big plays. Historically, when they haven't had the ball much, possessions get limited, and they aren't able to get yards in bunches they start to panic and push the envelope. That will play into our hands. Moreover, with their OL issues and one of our greatest strengths being on the DL, the longer that we're able to force them to have to make consistent nominal gains the more likely we are to find a vital negative play for them or create a penalty that puts them in a bad down/distance situation. Cal's longest run was 13 yards and their longest reception was 25 yards. If we can keep that formula going another week, then we're looking at the defense giving us a chance to win the game.

3) It's clear that we need to run the football for a number of reasons. First, our preference is to be a 65/35 run/pass team and that fits our players. Last week Coleman and Washington both averaged 4.4 yards per carry. I will take that again this week. On average, Cal is giving up 3.5 yards per carry on the season and Oregon 4.3 yards per carry. We should be able to have similar success this week that we had last week. And while I'm not saying we need to chew clock, being able to run the ball consistently against Oregon will limit the number of possessions in the game - which I believe to be vital in beating Oregon. In Oregon's loss to Arizona, Arizona ran the ball on 55 of their 86 plays ... even though their rush game only averaged 3.8 yards per carry. But that's not the point. They controlled the game and limited Oregon to just 12 drives. Our ability to sustain drives, keep our defense fresh, and rattle Oregon outside of their comfort zone and rhythm are the biggest wins out of having a functional running game.

4) Special Teams and Hidden Yardage will also be critical. Oregon's got a long standing history of not taking FGs. Against Chip's Ducks, FGs were akin to punting. But this isn't Chip's Ducks. Getting into the high 20s or low 30s will give you a good shot to win the game. We have a decided edge in the FG game and we need to capitalize on that when we are in positions to put points on the board. Another huge key that we've had so far this year is Durkee's ability in the punt game to change field position. Against Arizona, Oregon didn't start a single drive better than their own 34. Prior to the game being out of reach in the 4th quarter against Cal, we didn't allow Cal to start a single drive with better field position than their own 31. 10 of Stanford's 17 points came off of the great field position that we gave them (they missed a FG in the other situation). Simply put, special teams needs to find ways to control the field position.

5) Turnovers goes along with special teams and the hidden yardage. We must win the turnover battle. We must find a way to flip the field once or twice during the course of the game. We need to find a path to 7-10 easy points during the game.

For the first time in a long time, and at the risk of sounding quite Doogish, this is a plan that I can see a UW actually executing against Oregon. We don't need to do anything special. We just need to do what we've been doing. What we've been prepared to do. And BTW, I fully expect that we'll be able to hit John Ross over the top for a TD during this game.
  • Options
    salemcoog said:

from 2014:

Cal's a better job.
    Sark > Ty POTW!