Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Grambling Players Revolt. . .

What's up with that?
Game cancelled.
Appears to be part of the NCPA "All Players United" campaign.
Wow. . .

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/swac/2013/10/18/grambling-tigers-bus-jackson-state-game-boycott/3010079/

GRAMBLING, La. — Hours after Grambling State University president Frank Pogue reiterated his support for the school's athletic program and football team Friday morning, only 22 members of the team showed up for their bus ride to Jackson, Miss., where they were scheduled to play Jackson State on Saturday.

Jackson State officials said at 5:30 p.m. CT that the game has been canceled and tickets will be refunded, though homecoming activities will go on as planned with the addition of an intrasquad scrimmage.

"I've been in touch with the (Southwestern Athletic Conference) and Jackson State University and this has been declared a no contest," Grambling spokesperson Will Sutton said in a statement.

Grambling athletics director Aaron James said Friday night that Grambling decided to forfeit the game at 4:30 CT and that the school will have to pay a $20,000 fine to the SWAC in accordance with league bylaws.

Comments

• Colonel_AngusColonel_Angus Member Posts: 49
    Has anyone confirmed that the Huskie players made it onto the bus to Tempe?
  • Your_MomYour_Mom Member Posts: 393
    ESPN (I think) had more details. The players didn't like the fact that their coach was fired 2 games into the season, and they didn't like the replacement coach (a promoted run game coordinator or something), they also didn't like the fact that the other schools got to fly to games, but they had to endure 18 hour bus rides. I'm sure there is more to the story that the press hasn't reported yet. Pretty crazy... can't think of the last time a school cancelled a game due to a player revolt.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited October 2013
    A bunch of pussies if you ask me. I feel bad for the other team too. The other team wants to play a fucking game, but Grambling's players revolt because they aren't getting their way. Yeah, riding in a bus would suck. Losing every game sucks too, but show some fucking heart and try to win a game with your teammates. Fuck the interim coach, he probably sucks, but being a faggot and quitting should not be an option. It's bullshit. Grambling's old coach who broke the record for wins is rolling in his grave.
  • A bunch of pussies if you ask me. I feel bad for the other team too. The other team wants to play a fucking game, but Grambling's players revolt because they aren't getting their way. Yeah, riding in a bus would suck. Losing every game sucks too, but show some fucking heart and try to win a game with your teammates. Fuck the interim coach, he probably sucks, but being a faggot and quitting should not be an option. It's bullshit. Grambling's old coach who broke the record for wins is rolling in his grave.

The school quit on them not the other way around.
  • DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    Will the scrimmage feature a dog race or a football throwing contest that doesn't involve current QBs?

A bunch of pussies if you ask me. I feel bad for the other team too. The other team wants to play a fucking game, but Grambling's players revolt because they aren't getting their way. Yeah, riding in a bus would suck. Losing every game sucks too, but show some fucking heart and try to win a game with your teammates. Fuck the interim coach, he probably sucks, but being a faggot and quitting should not be an option. It's bullshit. Grambling's old coach who broke the record for wins is rolling in his grave.

Grambling definitely sounds like they need some new leadership, but I can't excuse players quitting. Most of these guys are on scholarship to play football. They have an obligation to play football games.

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,861 Founders Club

Grambling definitely sounds like they need some new leadership, but I can't excuse players quitting. Most of these guys are on scholarship to play football. They have an obligation to play football games.

everyone draws a line somewhere, including you and me. We don't know all the details down there.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,293 Founders Club
    edited October 2013

everyone draws a line somewhere, including you and me. We don't know all the details down there.
    True, but RoadDawg brings up a good point. Have the players agreed to give back their scholarships?

That's true, but I think playing out the season for yourself and your teammates show a lot more character than quitting in the middle of the season. Some of their reasons don't fly with me. The program is cheap and they obviously aren't placing a huge emphasis on the football team. They let the program go to shit, but these players chose to play there and have an obligation to play.

• some facts I heard from the corporate media in between Rob Gronkowski and classless Dodgerito/Puig talking points:

- The Grambling athletics budget has been cut by 67 percent since 2009.

- They had to take 700 mile bus rides to games. I'm pretty sure even the 1aa teams get to fly if the game is over 300 or so miles away.

- I'm not totally sure but I think they were on the 3rd coacj this year

- maybe a full-blown mutiny is not the way to go, but this particular administration has f***** up big time. this is one of the best if not the best historically black schools and they're at this point. :|

Plus by doing this they are making ESPN and everyone is now aware. This will bring awareness to the situation. Colleges hate embarrassments so those who have been fucking up will be shit canned.

I actually applaud those guys. They are sacrificing a game for the greater good of the program. I can respect that.
  • Would any of us have been up in arms if the players did this under Willingham in 08?
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,159
    The details they left out are pretty important. I have sources at Grambling and what I'm hearing is that the former AD passed away and his former-showgirl wife took over. Apparently her plan is to cut funding everywhere in an effort to lose fan support so she can move Grambling University to Miami. She even hired a tire salesman as the interim head coach and their young QB played in the Alabama Penal League last year.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    am i being whooshed

how can the wife take over her husband's position

are we in medieval europe

is she a regent
  • trackertracker Member Posts: 866
    Gladstone said:

am i being whooshed

how can the wife take over her husband's position

are we in medieval europe

is she a regent

No, you're not in Medieval Europe.
    It's far more interesting than that.
    You're in The Land of Hardcore Husky.
    It's like some sort of "Alternative Universe".

• AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    Don't boo the kids on this one. They're getting screwed.
  • Colonel_AngusColonel_Angus Member Posts: 49

The details they left out are pretty important. I have sources at Grambling and what I'm hearing is that the former AD passed away and his former-showgirl wife took over. Apparently her plan is to cut funding everywhere in an effort to lose fan support so she can move Grambling University to Miami. She even hired a tire salesman as the interim head coach and their young QB played in the Alabama Penal League last year.

That QB has a helluva arm. Too bad he has no accuracy.

• bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,159

That QB has a helluva arm. Too bad he has no accuracy.

Yeah, they should get Rictavius "Wild Thang" Vaughn-Washington some glasses