Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Romar Fired

13»

Comments

• Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,025
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

that is one battered bush...
  • Options
    doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We think it's dumb, but the Porter issue is significant. Buying Porter was a brilliant move by romar. I wish he was half as creative & proactive when it comes to schemes.

Star power matters & lots of people want to see him play, even if the team sucks. Decent crowds showed up this year to watch a historically bad team just to see fultz.

Anyways, Jen will give romar one more year & then the slow & miserable destruction of husky hoops will finally (hopefully) come to an end.
  • Options
    SaracenSaracen Member Posts: 269
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Saracen said:

I evaluate the job that someone does based on actions/results ...

I don't hold Cohen responsible for the last 15-25 years because she hasn't been directly in charge ...

While I understand why some will view as part of the problem because she was in the AD, the reality was that she was never setting the course on her own there and instead answering to others ...

What the past and Cohen's ties to it did do though was give me serious questions when she took the job and I said as much ... if you go back and look at those posts from that time period you will find that I said that I'm going to judge her by her actions and not her words ... in fact in one of her earliest interviews I was very critical of some of the comments that she made ...

But in looking at the results that she's helped spur, so far so good. It's not the on-field performance per se, but it is things like as @CokeGreaterThanPepsi stated about bumping up the assistant coach salaries for football that have me encouraged that we have an AD that gets it. I don't have a problem with the slight increase that has been rolled out for football tickets this year because a) it's likely required with the budget deficit and b) it's the cost of doing business to retain a high-end coaching staff. I like that her presence has typically been to support the coaches that we have and get out of their way.

As I said when she took the job, her biggest challenge will be in handling the Romar situation. The buyout is not insignificant given our current budget state. The buyout also isn't significant to the point that the money can't be found if there is enough support from the outside to make a change with donations to cover the shortfall (outside support in general is one of the bigger issues from our AD compared to other elite level schools in athletics that I'm certain we'd like to be in).

We have no clue what is going on behind the scenes because I haven't heard Cohen say anything about Romar for months. There hasn't been the vote of confidence at all. If I recall right before the season Cohen's made comments to the effect about accountability to results. Given the level of competition for the balance of our main programs outside of Romar-ball, Cohen's walking a slippery slope by retaining Romar because it sends the message the results don't matter to the coaches or the kids ... and not that college athletics should be a win at all costs environment but it does set the level of expectations for how we are all judged in professional life whether playing sports or in the business world.

All holding onto the ills of the past does is put you in a position where your judgement and perspective is clouded because of the actions of others that have nothing to do with the here and now. That's the point I was trying to make with Stalin.

The reality is no AD is perfect and UW's is far from perfect ... but there is evidence of positive signs and working to make things better. Let's keep seeing how the AD acts and judge them based on those results ... not the results of Todd Turner 10+ years ago.

So Cohen has 1) fed the goose that's laying her golden eggs, 2) attempted to squeeze out more coin from fans to help get out of a whole she helped create, and 3) sat on her hands about the basketball situation. Of course #3 seems out of place until you realize that, despite the ongoing coaching malfeasance, due to the Fultz novelty they sold more tickets than they have in years. Oh and Romar's a great guy, role model for the community, blah blah. Plus she sees the crowds that have been lining up to watch Nathan Hale games and knows there's a pretty good shot that will continue next year. Once that spigot dries, Romar may retire, his contract will be up, or the buyout will be low enough to easily move on. Which is great for her because it kicks the can down the road and makes it easier on her when she actually has to address the situation.

She's made the easiest and most obvious short term cash grab moves when it comes to trying to get the department out of the red. Which is what probably 90% of ADs out there would do. Like most of them she's just playing checkers. There's zero evidence that she's done anything that requires true leadership or vision - bringing in outside support, strengthening the brand, turning around flailing programs, etc.

Kudos to Jen, perhaps they should start working on a plaque for her outstanding work in mediocrity to place next to the sustainability award.

LEAVE
    Boobilips telling the visiting Muslim to LEAVE.

Troomp POTD!
  • Options
    SaracenSaracen Member Posts: 269
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    dnc said:

Saracen said:

LEAVE

Troomp POTD!
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    dnc said:

Saracen said:

I don't hold Cohen responsible for the last 15-25 years because she hasn't been directly in charge ...

While I understand why some will view as part of the problem because she was in the AD, the reality was that she was never setting the course on her own there and instead answering to others ...

What the past and Cohen's ties to it did do though was give me serious questions when she took the job and I said as much ... if you go back and look at those posts from that time period you will find that I said that I'm going to judge her by her actions and not her words ... in fact in one of her earliest interviews I was very critical of some of the comments that she made ...

But in looking at the results that she's helped spur, so far so good. It's not the on-field performance per se, but it is things like as @CokeGreaterThanPepsi stated about bumping up the assistant coach salaries for football that have me encouraged that we have an AD that gets it. I don't have a problem with the slight increase that has been rolled out for football tickets this year because a) it's likely required with the budget deficit and b) it's the cost of doing business to retain a high-end coaching staff. I like that her presence has typically been to support the coaches that we have and get out of their way.

As I said when she took the job, her biggest challenge will be in handling the Romar situation. The buyout is not insignificant given our current budget state. The buyout also isn't significant to the point that the money can't be found if there is enough support from the outside to make a change with donations to cover the shortfall (outside support in general is one of the bigger issues from our AD compared to other elite level schools in athletics that I'm certain we'd like to be in).

We have no clue what is going on behind the scenes because I haven't heard Cohen say anything about Romar for months. There hasn't been the vote of confidence at all. If I recall right before the season Cohen's made comments to the effect about accountability to results. Given the level of competition for the balance of our main programs outside of Romar-ball, Cohen's walking a slippery slope by retaining Romar because it sends the message the results don't matter to the coaches or the kids ... and not that college athletics should be a win at all costs environment but it does set the level of expectations for how we are all judged in professional life whether playing sports or in the business world.

All holding onto the ills of the past does is put you in a position where your judgement and perspective is clouded because of the actions of others that have nothing to do with the here and now. That's the point I was trying to make with Stalin.

The reality is no AD is perfect and UW's is far from perfect ... but there is evidence of positive signs and working to make things better. Let's keep seeing how the AD acts and judge them based on those results ... not the results of Todd Turner 10+ years ago.

So Cohen has 1) fed the goose that's laying her golden eggs, 2) attempted to squeeze out more coin from fans to help get out of a whole she helped create, and 3) sat on her hands about the basketball situation. Of course #3 seems out of place until you realize that, despite the ongoing coaching malfeasance, due to the Fultz novelty they sold more tickets than they have in years. Oh and Romar's a great guy, role model for the community, blah blah. Plus she sees the crowds that have been lining up to watch Nathan Hale games and knows there's a pretty good shot that will continue next year. Once that spigot dries, Romar may retire, his contract will be up, or the buyout will be low enough to easily move on. Which is great for her because it kicks the can down the road and makes it easier on her when she actually has to address the situation.

She's made the easiest and most obvious short term cash grab moves when it comes to trying to get the department out of the red. Which is what probably 90% of ADs out there would do. Like most of them she's just playing checkers. There's zero evidence that she's done anything that requires true leadership or vision - bringing in outside support, strengthening the brand, turning around flailing programs, etc.

Kudos to Jen, perhaps they should start working on a plaque for her outstanding work in mediocrity to place next to the sustainability award.

LEAVE

Troomp POTD!
    When did @Sledog hack you?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

Saracen said:

LEAVE

Troomp POTD!
    HURTFUL
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    doogville said:

We think it's dumb, but the Porter issue is significant. Buying Porter was a brilliant move by romar. I wish he was half as creative & proactive when it comes to schemes.

Star power matters & lots of people want to see him play, even if the team sucks. Decent crowds showed up this year to watch a historically bad team just to see fultz.

Anyways, Jen will give romar one more year & then the slow & miserable destruction of husky hoops will finally (hopefully) come to an end.

I'll give you the charitable up vote for stating the fucking obvious. Most normal humans do not abstain from romar's hiring of porter, it's the complete polar opposite of what the doogs crow. Romar is "above board", "doesn't play games", "doesn't cheat". Until they see things that happen(such as porter) and change tune to a new doogism. Hiring porters dad was fucking smart providing you have the base to support it. For romar, if he gets through this year, it could get him additional years based on one NCAA tourney appearance.

For an AD paying any attention it should be an outlier.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,856
    edited March 2017

dnc said:

Saracen said:

LEAVE

Troomp POTD!
    Fingered maybe, I'm no hacker.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,752
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited March 2017

dnc said:

that is one battered bush...
    Would not hit, but wood hit.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

My hope is that Cohen is really exploring this Missouri angle. If Mizzou is dumb enough to consider hiring Romar just so the Porter kids can play there for one year, she should be on the phone with their AD and sitting down with Romar to tell him the reality of the situation -
    - there's a good chance you get fired,
    -you would definitely be getting fired if money wasn't an issue,
    -you won't be getting a contract extension any time soon,
    -if you still want to coach, take this opportunity (assuming it exists)

Where is this Missouri thing coming from? They can't possibly be that dumb, can they?
    It's a bullshit rumor. Some dummy threw it out because Romar coached at St. Louis so he knows the area and the Porter's. It's not happening.