Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Auburndawg's Mid Term Report Card

Offense

We are averaging over 30 points a game. We’ve moved the ball against everyone. We are balanced. Sankey is having one of the greatest seasons in Husky history. And yet the offense goes through stretches where we just flounder, especially throwing the ball. There have been too many sloppy penalties. Many here want to blame the O-line, but Price is the biggest problem. Over and over again he holds the ball too long because he just doesn’t trust his reads. He is afraid of interceptions and he knows it: "I needed to trust my eyes and trust my reads. I think I was a bit too cautious at times, just not wanting to lose momentum, because I knew if I turned it over, that's what Oregon does, they feed off of it." Price is playing better than he did last year, but for the offense to improve in the second half he has got to become more confident, hit his back foot, and cut it loose. That will get ASJ and KW more involved.

This offense is good, but it could be great. Grade: B+

Defense

The defense has given up 112 points in the first half. Anything under 250 points in a season and you are in Don James/Lambo territory. This defense has been outstanding – until yesterday. We controlled Oregon’s running game and got destroyed by the pass. It looked like Wilcox was scheming to stop the run and make Mariotta beat us with his arm, and he did. We gave a long TD pass, and long pass plays on all of their scoring drives. We didn’t blitz, and we left guys open, the worst of all possible worlds. Yeah, Oregon is great. But truly great defenses have held that offense down, we didn’t.

Yesterday sucked. But they have been so good the other 5 games it’s hard to mark them down too much. Grade: A-

Specials Teams

There are things to like. A blocked FG. A fake punt. No missed FGs. Good punting. But kick off coverage has been a disaster and likely cost us the Stanford game. You can’t let special teams cost you a game. Sark has got to get this fixed.
Grade: C-

Sark

The question for this program remains, is Sark the guy to get Washington all the way back? The long term objective, as Sark says over and over again, is to compete for national championships and Rose Bowls. I don’t care how good Oregon is, Sark’s job is to beat them. Three games into conference play and we are out of the race for the conference championship. That’s disappointing. (and BTW, please stop throwing the ball on 1st and goal!!)

But the short term objective is to show significant improvement and get beyond 7-6/5-4 mediocrity. It seems that we are doing that, but now Sark needs to prove it. This can still be a very successful season, but that means we now need to win out, or at most, drop one more league game and win the bowl game. Is 6-3 in league really a significant step up from 5-4? Maybe, if we win the bowl game. If we are who we think we are this year, running the table from here out is not an unreasonable expectation, but 10 wins now is the minimum to declare that things are definitely getting better.

This team, and this head coach has done the minimum of what was expected of it so far, beat 4 mediocre teams, and lose to two elite teams. Grade: B. Assignment for the second half: get to 10 wins.

Comments

• Price is the problem and coaching gets a B huh?

Go back to your home on fagman($75K) already.

Don't forget to shove your no excuses up your twat before you LEAVE!
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,131 Founders Club
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Aubbie, why do you keep saying we controlled Oregon's running game? They ran for 265 yards. They did what they wanted, especially in the 2nd half.
  • MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    You've lost it.

C- at best.

Refill your prescriptions before you post this recycled DM.c drivel.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    edited October 2013

Washington has been eliminated from the Pac-12 race. The grade for the team is an F.

Fixed that for you.

• AuburndawgAuburndawg Member Posts: 362
    Mariotta scrambling for big yards is not running the ball. It is part of the failure of the pass defense.

And Price blamed himself for the problems on offense. I agree with him.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,664 Founders Club
    Offense - same
    Defense - B (hold Oregon to 31 or less & don't allow Illinoizzse to stay in the game and they receive a better grade)
    ST - D +
    Coaching - C +

To be the best you have to beat top ten teams, not get drilled by them..
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    And only a Doog gives any unit of the team a grade higher than C when the team is already out of the Pac-12 race.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Mariotta scrambling for big yards is not running the ball. It is part of the failure of the pass defense.

And Price blamed himself for the problems on offense. I agree with him.

Marshall- 19 for 106. 5.6 ypc 2 TD's
    Tyner- 12 for 57. 4.8 ypc
    Marriota had a couple big scrambles, but he also had some designed runs. His rushing TD was on one of those designed runs.

No, it was not as bad as the pass defense, but it was not good. Saying it was good is FS, but at least it is not as FS as saying it was mostly Price's fault. Price took the blame for the Stanford loss as well. He's a leader who holds himself accountable and doesn't play the blame game. It's a noble trait to have, but that doesn't make it true.

• Special teams a C- ?! Based on what?!

That's the most obvious F there is.
  • SweatpantsGeneralSweatpantsGeneral Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,108 Swaye's Wigwam
    Aubs.

Please please please please please please tell me this is the best whoosh in HH history. Please.

Please.