Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Mad Son's Ramblings 10-9-13

Hardcore_HuskyHardcore_Husky Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 302 Swaye's Wigwam
edited October 2013 in Tug Tavern

imageMad Son's Ramblings 10-9-13

Franchise infidels! Mad Son is back with his rambling musings. He's a big believer in the Husky Defense, but thinks the interior line and the head coach are the only things keeping this team from great things.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Dick_BDick_B Member Posts: 1,301
    DD has been moved to tight end. Try to keep up.
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,164
    Dick_B said:

DD has been moved to tight end. Try to keep up.

"Hopefully Darrell Daniels can start transitioning to safety."

Not sure how his move to TE changes what I said although I think TE will be a much better way to utilize him than his current role in the depth (assuming he can run routes, catch, etc)
    Also, for those keeping score at home, I meant third quarter for the Stanford points - half the game always happens in the third quarter
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,823
    Aggressive penalties because you are trying to light someone's ass up (hello DD) are perfectly acceptable ...

Sloppy penalties like a fatty not being able to remember the snap count are unacceptable ...

We have too many sloppy penalties ... get w/ the program fatties ...
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,298 Swaye's Wigwam
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,350 Founders Club
  • DawgGrad95DawgGrad95 Member Posts: 20
    So your summary of "boneheaded play calling" is the short kick? If it had been executed correctly they likely have the ball on the 20/25 yard line with 1 minute left. Otherwise the defense completely shut down the Stanford offense, the offense moved the ball with high efficiency against a stout defense, 28 points were scored against said stout defense, and a fake punt would have been the key to a win (but if it had failed you no doubt would be telling us it was boneheaded).

I have been as frustrated with the one step forward, two steps back progression of Sarkisian and the Husky program and agree there was definitely some "on the job training". However, you even admit, he has recruited a deep and talented roster on both sides of the ball, has hired a talented staff in most every area, including the aforementioned recruiting, and has the team clearly progressing to actually competing (and nearly winning) against a top 5 team (and not a fluke win like the Stanford game last year). The penalties are completely unacceptable, but if there is one issue you should be able to point to players for accountability it would be penalties.

So your summary of "boneheaded play calling" is the short kick?
    No. It is not a summary. As noted this point is rehashed continually. I don't feel compelled to make this any longer by listing every single play I disagree with. I just wanted to list one that was completely overt and costly.

If it had been executed correctly they likely have the ball on the 20/25 yard line with 1 minute left. Otherwise the defense completely shut down the Stanford offense, the offense moved the ball with high efficiency against a stout defense, 28 points were scored against said stout defense, and a fake punt would have been the key to a win (but if it had failed you no doubt would be telling us it was boneheaded).
    At that point UW needed to do something. Whether it was a fake punt there or something I don't know. Clearly what Sark called worked so good for him. He did it at an appropriate time though. I gave an example of when the short kick would have been a good play call. It is timing, not just the play itself.

I have been as frustrated with the one step forward, two steps back progression of Sarkisian and the Husky program and agree there was definitely some "on the job training". However, you even admit, he has recruited a deep and talented roster on both sides of the ball, has hired a talented staff in most every area, including the aforementioned recruiting, and has the team clearly progressing to actually competing (and nearly winning) against a top 5 team (and not a fluke win like the Stanford game last year).
    Yes. I definitely said and agree with those points. My only caveats would be on both offense and defense lineman recruiting has been inadequate. In terms of coaches I noted that most are excellent but I still think there are a couple of duds on the staff.

The penalties are completely unacceptable, but if there is one issue you should be able to point to players for accountability it would be penalties.
    Sark sets the tone. Everything goes to the head coach but some things go through assistants. This is not one of those things. It is up to Sark to instill discipline and hold the team accountable. The head coach can not let the team throw away a hundred yards a game. Just because the players have to not commit penalties does not mean that ultimately reduction of penalties is not Sark's responsibility.

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,350 Founders Club
    edited October 2013

So your summary of "boneheaded play calling" is the short kick? If it had been executed correctly they likely have the ball on the 20/25 yard line with 1 minute left. Otherwise the defense completely shut down the Stanford offense, the offense moved the ball with high efficiency against a stout defense, 28 points were scored against said stout defense, and a fake punt would have been the key to a win (but if it had failed you no doubt would be telling us it was boneheaded).

I have been as frustrated with the one step forward, two steps back progression of Sarkisian and the Husky program and agree there was definitely some "on the job training". However, you even admit, he has recruited a deep and talented roster on both sides of the ball, has hired a talented staff in most every area, including the aforementioned recruiting, and has the team clearly progressing to actually competing (and nearly winning) against a top 5 team (and not a fluke win like the Stanford game last year). The penalties are completely unacceptable, but if there is one issue you should be able to point to players for accountability it would be penalties.

This has to be a whoosh.

How the fuck did REAL Bleenor get by the invisible fence? Did someone forget batteries for the shock collar?

Fuck.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

REAL Tequila?

dnc said:

REAL Tequila?

Pretty sure that would be TCUGrad95
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Mad_Son said:

dnc said:

REAL Tequila?

Pretty sure that would be TCUGrad97
    MBA