Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    This shit needs to be pinned at the top of the board for at least the next month, emailed to the Athletic Department, and really noted and discussed within the Athletic Department.

And honestly, the $1.8M is very low given that Texas struggled this year and I would expect that a strong year for Texas on the field would probably translate to closer than $2.5-$3M in revenue per year.

BTW, I would also expect that the infrastructure needed to put taps and lines into the existing concession stands would be less than what is required to run the Zone over the course of a year.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Miller Lite killing it
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

This shit needs to be pinned at the top of the board for at least the next month, emailed to the Athletic Department, and really noted and discussed within the Athletic Department.

And honestly, the $1.8M is very low given that Texas struggled this year and I would expect that a strong year for Texas on the field would probably translate to closer than $2.5-$3M in revenue per year.

BTW, I would also expect that the infrastructure needed to put taps and lines into the existing concession stands would be less than what is required to run the Zone over the course of a year.

Spuds McKenzie for AD
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

Proximity to the stands would mean additional sales. Any cost to make this happen is likely absorbed in the 1st quarter of the 1st game.

Turn the Zone back into what it was meant to be: a place for people with no friends to tailgate before the game.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Proximity to the stands would mean additional sales. Any cost to make this happen is likely absorbed in the 1st quarter of the 1st game.

Turn the Zone back into what it was meant to be: a place for people with no friends to tailgate before the game.
    That's called a loss leader idea for The Zone ... the kind of idea I'd expect from the existing AD.

Instead, turn part of the Zone into an area where you can make it family friendly with football related activities for the kids. Charge some nominal amount of $5-$10 to let the kids go in and tackle some tackling dummies, blocking sleds, etc. If you really want to make it a fairly cool experience, try to engage members of The Big W Club to come in and provide instruction to some of the younger kids going through some of the drills, and some autograph opportunities. For example, give season ticket holders with kids an option to buy UW helmets and then have the kids bring those helmets with them in a way that lets them collect autographs and memories. In the process, you're also building up your young fan base and driving the next generation of Husky Fans ... not a bad idea to invest in.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited January 2016
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

That's called a loss leader idea for The Zone ... the kind of idea I'd expect from the existing AD.

Instead, turn part of the Zone into an area where you can make it family friendly with football related activities for the kids. Charge some nominal amount of $5-$10 to let the kids go in and tackle some tackling dummies, blocking sleds, etc. If you really want to make it a fairly cool experience, try to engage members of The Big W Club to come in and provide instruction to some of the younger kids going through some of the drills, and some autograph opportunities. For example, give season ticket holders with kids an option to buy UW helmets and then have the kids bring those helmets with them in a way that lets them collect autographs and memories. In the process, you're also building up your young fan base and driving the next generation of Husky Fans ... not a bad idea to invest in.
    Pretty pricey real estate to use for a kids zone. I'd think using it as a before/after game tailgate area for people with no tailgate to attend makes more sense. Shut it down 30 minutes before kickoff and open it back up at the end of the game.

But I like the idea of engaging the younger generation. Why not use the indoor practice facitiliy?

And for the love of god, sell beer and wine in the stadium throughout the game at many/all concession stands.
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

I don't get this....how about watching the game for fun?

Years ago, my pops was president of the local Little League and one of the coaches wanted to have a pizza party for his kids. My dad explained that LL rules prohibit doing that unless he did it for the whole league. The coach was stunned asking, " what are we supposed to do for fun?

Uh....play baseball?

I know...TL,DR, FYFMFE.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,093
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    TommySQC said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Years ago, my pops was president of the local Little League and one of the coaches wanted to have a pizza party for his kids. My dad explained that LL rules prohibit doing that unless he did it for the whole league. The coach was stunned asking, " what are we supposed to do for fun?

Uh....play baseball?

I know...TL,DR, FYFMFE.
    Sounds about right.

One year my LL team went all in on custom hats, jackets, etc. The other teams made a fuss because it wasn't "fair". The league even threatened to vacate all our wins (lulz) if we kept wearing the non-sanctioned uniforms.

Our coach said fuck you, we already paid for the gear and we are wearing it.

We won the championship and talked shit. Something tells me that bothered everyone more than the custom hats.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZ said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Pretty pricey real estate to use for a kids zone. I'd think using it as a before/after game tailgate area for people with no tailgate to attend makes more sense. Shut it down 30 minutes before kickoff and open it back up at the end of the game.

But I like the idea of engaging the younger generation. Why not use the indoor practice facitiliy?

And for the love of god, sell beer and wine in the stadium throughout the game at many/all concession stands.
    Fair point about the real estate and that's a very solid point once the light rail route opens and they start getting a measure on the traffic that is coming to the game accordingly.

The light rail is another interesting complication for the Athletic Department to figure out. In my mind, the AD should be really embracing tailgating and being able to get people in/out in a way to get some extra revenue streams. Previously, there's been embracing of the use of buses and light rail is just another threat to the tailgating revenue stream.

What I've seen from The Zone is that what they are doing is trying to absolutely maximize and gouge the fans in terms of pricing. In my experience, that's going in the wrong direction. Instead, what they should be doing is looking at finding ways to maximize the revenues spent and value provided. Embrace the ability to tailgate for those individuals in a way that makes it generally comfortable for everyone. I'd probably lean towards a nominal ticket fee of $5 per person if concerned about revenues and then lower the price of foods, increase table/seating options, increase television options, increase gaming options (i.e. have cornhole sets available to rent), etc.

The moral of the story to me is to try to find ways to increase the community and buy in of the fan base to the program and not make it where the ticket is viewed as a show up and go home situation. Unlike at Seahawk games where you have the ability to walk across the street from your lunch/beer options for games into the stadium, the nearest option at UW is somewhere in the UW District which is a 30+ minute walk to the stadium. Reduce the barriers for people, make it easier for them to enjoy the day around the stadium, and give them a reason to want to come.
  • Options
    TommySQC said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Uh....play baseball?

I know...TL,DR, FYFMFE.
    I'm 100% behind closing The Zone once the game starts and bringing beer/wine sales inside the stadium.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,910
    Standard Supporter

Sell booze to the kids

Sell the kids
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,526
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2016
    Think of how much money we could make off tobacco, weed and cocaine.
  • Options
    section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HuskyInAZ said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Or sell space in that area for premium BYO tailgating. Let people pay to throw their own parties in that area. Supply tents, TV and power, access to grills maybe.... I'm sure some would fork over the money to have their tailgates more or less inside the stadium pre/post game. Could do that and the kids zone thing. Then sell beer in the whole stadium, maybe exclude the concession stands by the student section since they've got their own anyhow.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2016
    Money trumps morals everytime. Stop being pussies and get beer in the stadium. You're going to do it anyway when you see Oregon State make a few mill at little chainsaw field.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TommySQC said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Uh....play baseball?

I know...TL,DR, FYFMFE.
    Is Mark Emmert your dad? How about giving the kids pepperoni pizza if that's what you want to do?
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863
    edited January 2016

TommySQC said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Uh....play baseball?

I know...TL,DR, FYFMFE.
    Is Mark Emmert your dad? How about giving the kids pepperoni pizza if that's what you want to do?
    Why not? Woody was always up for giving up his sausage. Allegedly.

Too soon?

• Options
    TheChartTheChart Member Posts: 76
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper 5 Awesomes