Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW's Vegas Bowl Debacle: Sarkisian Crapping out as Husky Coach

Comments

• Options
    wooferswoofers Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    Good thing that Scott Woodward rolled out the "Crazy Larry" ad campaign, the UW-Stanford 2012 "Gameday Champion" T-Shirts, and the new, meaner Harry the Husky mascot. If it wasn't for Woodward's used car salesmanship, the huskies would have had only had a 5 win season.

And don't forget about Sark--he is doing a bang up job preparing his players for the big games. John Wooden used to say that failure to prepare is preparation to fail. But what the hell does John Wooden know about coaching? Let the players show up when they're down a few scores. Hell, if John Wooden would have let his players to do lawnmower dances on the bench, rock the busses prior to away games, and come out flat against weaker opponents, Wooden would have have won 20 national championships instead of a meager 10.

Some may say that Sark and Woodward are turning husky football into a joke. There are even crazies out there to have the gall to think that building a team that routinely kicks the crap out of the other teams teams by itself is better than any PR campaign or new uniform combination. But that's all crazy talk--even by Crazy Larry's standards.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,835
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Sounds like someone has an agenda ^^
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,233
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    vadawg said:

Fair enough. I just felt the discussion was stagnant, and didn't hit all of the points of contention with Sark.
    Again, Sark IMO is a mediocre coach, and will get us mediocre results. Sucks.

I agree with you. His lack of game time management skills is a reflection of bigger issues. Bottom line, he isn't ready for prime time and may not have it in him to ever quite get there. We're stuck with him for at least one more year. Let's hope he either figures it out fast or is promptly replaced. The job is a damn good one. Great location, new stadium, flush with cash for hiring assistant coaches. They can get a top shelf coach, they just have to put in the work to make it happen.
  • Options
    volcanodawgvolcanodawg Member Posts: 282
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    you all act like the Sark 10yr extension isn't on the horizon....i mean, shit.....look at romar. UW loves mediocrity.
  • Options
    WhiskeyDawgWhiskeyDawg Member Posts: 406
    5 Awesomes Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Up Votes

you all act like the Sark 10yr extension isn't on the horizon....i mean, shit.....look at romar. UW loves mediocrity.

Don't even get me started with Romar!

• Options
    ACSlaterDawgACSlaterDawg Member Posts: 200
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    I agree with the criticisms of Sark but don't agree with the conclusion and especially the part about Mora. I wanted Mora badly in 2007. But thats over. Tonight is his second blowout against a mediocre opponent. Derek you are a great writer so please put aside your bias.Mora is no Chip.

Some great posts here on the 4th and 1. He had 3 TO's so definitely should have challenged, though one poster correctly pointed out that the guy who made the call was the only guy with the good angle on the play. And no BSU was not dicked on the 3rd down play. The guy caught the ball with his back to the line. The ball was clearly short.

The other huge management snafu was not calling TO after the 2nd to last play. Call TO so you have 30 seconds left. Instead, they let the clock run 10 seconds and then waste a down! The lack of time is why Price forced that throw. Otherwise he would have checked down or threw it out of bounds.

Sark won't be fired because the 2012-2013 teams will have enough talent to win 8-9 games. It's totally unrealistic that hes fired. Also, the HHB crowd isn't aware that expectations are much higher. Most fans are upset about 7-6 three years in a row. Sark's seat will get really hot if he doesn't win 9 games next year.

Clearly coaches on the Carroll tree have a big problem with discipline and keeping their teams motivated. This is Sark's biggest shortcoming as everyone now knows it. He needs to figure this out.

UW will improve because of better talent but Sark has shown no reason to believe he is a championship coach. That is the problem. With USC down, sanctions coming from UO, the next few years are a golden opportunity to place us back in the top 3 consistently. Unfortunately, Sark is not the guy who can take advantage. He'll be good enough not to get fired.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Sark won't be fired because the 2012-2013 teams will have enough talent to win 8-9 games. It's totally unrealistic that hes fired. Also, the HHB crowd isn't aware that expectations are much higher. Most fans are upset about 7-6 three years in a row. Sark's seat will get really hot if he doesn't win 9 games next year.

If expectations were higher, Sark's ass would either be on fire now or he would be Door.Ass.Out. already.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,787
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

I agree with the criticisms of Sark but don't agree with the conclusion and especially the part about Mora. I wanted Mora badly in 2007. But thats over. Tonight is his second blowout against a mediocre opponent. Derek you are a great writer so please put aside your bias.Mora is no Chip.

Some great posts here on the 4th and 1. He had 3 TO's so definitely should have challenged, though one poster correctly pointed out that the guy who made the call was the only guy with the good angle on the play. And no BSU was not dicked on the 3rd down play. The guy caught the ball with his back to the line. The ball was clearly short.

The other huge management snafu was not calling TO after the 2nd to last play. Call TO so you have 30 seconds left. Instead, they let the clock run 10 seconds and then waste a down! The lack of time is why Price forced that throw. Otherwise he would have checked down or threw it out of bounds.

Clearly coaches on the Carroll tree have a big problem with discipline and keeping their teams motivated. This is Sark's biggest shortcoming as everyone now knows it. He needs to figure this out.

UW will improve because of better talent but Sark has shown no reason to believe he is a championship coach. That is the problem. With USC down, sanctions coming from UO, the next few years are a golden opportunity to place us back in the top 3 consistently. Unfortunately, Sark is not the guy who can take advantage. He'll be good enough not to get fired.

I pretty much agree with all that Slater, except I didn't want Mora badly in '07...I mainly just wanted Ty gone.

As of now, it seems like nine wins is about his ceiling. And 9-4 isn't a bad season, but it shouldn't be anywhere near the ceiling. I can see them going 9-4 or maybe blowing a game vs. an inferior team and ending up 8-5 next year, Sark staying, and in 2014, they'll win six or seven, and the excuse will be injuries, youth, schedule, or any combination of those three.
  • Options
    ACSlaterDawgACSlaterDawg Member Posts: 200
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Photogenic

If expectations were higher, Sark's ass would either be on fire now or he would be Door.Ass.Out. already.

Expectations in years 1-4 were different because of 2004-2008. Not saying I agree with them.

2013 is now the time where expectations are back to 80s and 90s levels.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I pretty much agree with all that Slater, except I didn't want Mora badly in '07...I mainly just wanted Ty gone.

As of now, it seems like nine wins is about his ceiling. And 9-4 isn't a bad season, but it shouldn't be anywhere near the ceiling. I can see them going 9-4 or maybe blowing a game vs. an inferior team and ending up 8-5 next year, Sark staying, and in 2014, they'll win six or seven, and the excuse will be injuries, youth, schedule, or any combination of those three.

We're do you get 9 games is his ceiling? It looks like 7. It's funny how some of you know Mora is no Chip or basically an average coach after 12 games, but with Sark it took 50 or so games to figure out that he is not the guy. Interesting.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

Expectations in years 1-4 were different because of 2004-2008. Not saying I agree with them.

2013 is now the time where expectations are back to 80s and 90s levels.

Whose expectations? If the AD doesn't have those expectations, Sark is going nowhere if he wins 6 or 7 next year. In fact, I would say fans who have expectations back to 90s levels are in the minority.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,913
    Founders Club
    I can't help but notice that 100% of the people who express grave concern over me losing credibility as a writer are also anti-Mora.

And as KIm Grinolds told his subscribers in Nov 2010.... "Derek lost a lot of credibility when he started criticizing Steve Sarkisian."
  • Options
    DeLarryDeLarry Member Posts: 230
    Testing 1 First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    You lost credibility as a writer when you got all bitter and political.
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Kim says he knows Woody and you don't and you are a moron if you think Sark's seat is even warm. Quit stomping your feet.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,835
    Founders Club

Who do you see UW beating next year to get to 9 wins?

Non-conference is probably 3-0

They miss USC and Colorado.

They play at either UCLA or ASU and get the other at home. Neither game at home is a gimme. 1-1 between those 2 teams.

Oregon and Stanford = 0-2

Oregon St and Utah on the road = 1-1

Arizona, Cal and WSU at home = 3-0

That's 8-4 before a bowl and being optimistic. Sark shits the bed at least once per season since he's been here so 7-5 is much likely before a bowl game.

• Options
    Steve_BowmanSteve_Bowman Member Posts: 442
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Testing 1
    Steve is a train wreck.....more people understand this than you might suspect. It's been pretty obvious since last year. (OR St and Alamo Bowl.)

The pandering noise generated by Kim Grinolds and his groupies on DawgBoy may lead you to believe otherwise.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Steve is a train wreck.....more people understand this than you might suspect. It's been pretty obvious since last year. (OR St and Alamo Bowl.)

The pandering noise generated by Kim Grinolds and his groupies on DawgBoy may lead you to believe otherwise.

It's been pretty obvious since 2009
  • Options
    Founders Club

I had high hopes after the USC game only to see the real Sark appear. Absoluting ridiculous losing to UCLA and not continuing to give the ball to Polk who was running very well. I'm sure there are other good examples of his inability to coach from that year but the UCLA game is one that sticks in my mind very clearly.

• Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,233
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

Not sure I agree that it's been obvious since 2009. The hire was uninspiring, that's for sure. But, the game against LSU showed remarkable improvement, as did beating USC. Things got ugly from there, but they finished strong with an impressive thrashing of Cal. 2009 was a mixed bag, but ended on a high note, it actually looked like they might finally start turning the corner.

2010 was more of the same, up and down, inconsistent play. IMO, this is when doubt really started creeping in. Again though, they finished strong, got into and won a bowl game. They ended on another high note, but the inconsistency was very troubling.

2011 more inconsistency. Offense looked good, defense was pathetic. Another winning season and a bowl game, but an extremely poor performance from the defense. Impressive post season changes to the defensive staff, but still, the inconsistency and game day brain farts were cause for major concern.

2012, wow. The defense improves, but the offense looks like shit and the team gets boat raced on the road. Discipline is lacking, as is focus and toughness. Not good.

Anyway, just my 0.02, but I don't think it was obvious in 2009.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Not sure I agree that it's been obvious since 2009. The hire was uninspiring, that's for sure. But, the game against LSU showed remarkable improvement, as did beating USC. Things got ugly from there, but they finished strong with an impressive thrashing of Cal. 2009 was a mixed bag, but ended on a high note, it actually looked like they might finally start turning the corner.

2010 was more of the same, up and down, inconsistent play. IMO, this is when doubt really started creeping in. Again though, they finished strong, got into and won a bowl game. They ended on another high note, but the inconsistency was very troubling.

2011 more inconsistency. Offense looked good, defense was pathetic. Another winning season and a bowl game, but an extremely poor performance from the defense. Impressive post season changes to the defensive staff, but still, the inconsistency and game day brain farts were cause for major concern.

2012, wow. The defense improves, but the offense looks like shit and the team gets boat raced on the road. Discipline is lacking, as is focus and toughness. Not good.

Anyway, just my 0.02, but I don't think it was obvious in 2009.

You're right, obvious is the wrong word. Because after the '09 Cal game I WAS on a little high. The better description is that "the warning signs were clearly there for anyone willing to acknowledge them." The UCLA and ASU games in particular were blown by the coaching staff and those (among other examples like Sark's ongoing and foolish braggadocio) got stuck in my craw and never left.