Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Chris Warren's Top 4...

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

I'm pretty sure Warren has offers from just everywhere in the country.

There's a certain consistency in Warren's Final Four being that none of the schools are what you'd consider to be Top 25 powers at the moment. Tech is a joke - nobody would want to live there IMO. Okie Lite has had recent success but they are second banana to Oklahoma.

Texas has definitely been down. I like what Charlie Strong is doing down there and I do think he'll get things turned around but in the grand scheme of things, I do think that they are behind where we are in the process though. Moreover, their path to success is much more daunting now that they not only have Oklahoma to deal with, but they also have what TCU and Baylor are doing.

In contrast, Washington's path to success is passing Stanford (probably going to happen within the next 12-24 months - probably should have happened this year) and Oregon. Win the North and you're probably going to win the conference. Just reading the tea leaves of what is going on in recruiting would say that we're going to be well positioned with the classes we're putting together to be in that spot. Add in the family element and it starts to make sense.

I get the feeling that Warren likes challenges and is willing to step outside his comfort zone.

My opinion is that we're the favorite right now.

The #1 RB in the class Soso Jamabo is also from Dallas; UT is battling ND and UCLA for him as well. Warren and Jamabo may be waiting to see what the other does. I think a lot of high profile guys are sniffing around UT and seeing if anyone else is going to take the plunge there on a rebuild and new coach.
    Hopefully Jamabo goes to Texas. If he does, we have a decent chance at Warren. If he goes to ND or UCLA, he's not coming to UW.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Noticed that warren named a top 4 leaving the door open for one more program to come in and get a visit. This will be a big program from the south that "opened his eyes" after stopping by the high school one day.

By the sounds of it, I'd say he goes to if mamma jamma doesn't.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,742
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited December 2014
    Tequilla said:

The big thing that Strong has to turn around will be that aTm has the pull of the SEC. In contrast, while you have to get the perception of the Big 12 to the same level as the SEC, the other problem Texas has is the Baylor/TCU problem now - particularly for kids growing up in the DFW area as TCU is a definite option for them now.

At this point, the big reason that aTm has jumped ahead of Texas in the minds of most in-state kids is because of the SEC. With Texas being down for a few years, they just don't have the pull right now.

Texas overplayed their hand a few years ago ... that combined with Mack Brown mailing in about a 3-5 year period has them in a shitty position right now. Texas tends to feel that it is their birthright that they are great ... but historically, they are nowhere close to where schools like USC, Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio, and even Oklahoma have been.

I disagree that Texas has to fight the pull of the SEC for recruits. Texas is Texas, always will be. Yes their arrogance has increased exponentially since the VY Natty, but that state and that program are linked for eternity.

edit: Also, we've all heard the trope "but RGIII/Jameis/Manziel wanted to go to Texas." It's tired, but it's true.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

but historically, they are nowhere close to where schools like USC, Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio, and even Oklahoma have been.

Don't want to beat a dead horse here and I know you probably despise Texas, but still...

• Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

Tequilla said:

but historically, they are nowhere close to where schools like USC, Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio, and even Oklahoma have been.

Don't want to beat a dead horse here and I know you probably despise Texas, but still...

Froogs gonna Froog.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Beginning in 1978, Texas has won only 8 conference championships. This is what I'm talking about. Most Texas people would think that the numbers has been at least double that.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Beginning in 1978, Texas has won only 8 conference championships. This is what I'm talking about. Most Texas people would think that the numbers has been at least double that.

Talking about a different thing. Kids still like to go to Texas. The Baylor and tcu option is not a serious threat to their talent. The talent development at those programs is the threat.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,476
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Tequilla said:

What, no Yale?

(Yale has 876 wins)

Also, looks like we're getting close to win #700 soon.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Tequilla said:

Ahh, the power of selective endpoints.

Move the point to 90 and they have 6 in that time, which isn't quite so terrible. Oklahoma only has 8 in that time.

Texas is a top 10 overall powerhouse, just waiting for the right coach. Not sure Strong's the guy, but they'll find him eventually and be a perennial nightmare for your boys when they do.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Ahh, the power of selective endpoints.

Move the point to 90 and they have 6 in that time, which isn't quite so terrible. Oklahoma only has 8 in that time.

Texas is a top 10 overall powerhouse, just waiting for the right coach. Not sure Strong's the guy, but they'll find him eventually and be a perennial nightmare for your boys when they do.
    This. But you know. Froogs gotta froog.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,528
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Does the fact that Texas has 3 RBs committed for the 2015 class and that they took 2-3 RBs in the 2014 factor into the equation?
  • Options
    HFNY said:

Does the fact that Texas has 3 RBs committed for the 2015 class and that they took 2-3 RBs in the 2014 factor into the equation?

No
  • Options
    HFNY said:

Ask Priest Holmes and Jamaal Charles. Well, Charles was at least a starter for a while.
  • Options
    HFNY said:

Lavon Washington was a four-star.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,921
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

HFNY said:

I'm assuming your talking about Lavon Coleman. He was s 4-star on scout but was rated significantly lower by everyone else and didn't garner much pac-12 recruiting attention outside of UW and Cal.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

I don't think he's coming to UW. I would love to have him though.

Thought seems to be UW is the leader. Mom's family is from Seattle and she's playing a role in his recruitment. That & Pete gives us a great shot.

x________________________

Miles Jack
  • Options

HFNY said:

I'm assuming your talking about Lavon Coleman. He was s 4-star on scout but was rated significantly lower by everyone else and didn't garner much pac-12 recruiting attention outside of UW and Cal.
    Correct, I'm an idiot.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Actually Tequilla is right. According to metrics superiority guy and his exhaustive study Texas is not in the echelon that is Alabama, USC, Oklahoma, etc.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,476
    Just saw that we're getting Warren's last visit, Jan 30th, the last weekend before signing day (when he's planning to announce).