Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

NBA- Best/Worst Moves of the Offseason

RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
I like the Clippers adding JJ Redick and Jared Dudley. Dudley was a really good role player when he played with Nash, and I think he will do well for the Clips. 3 and D swingmen are very valuable, and Redick and Dudley are a huge upgrade over what they had. It doesn't hurt that they re-signed Barnes as well for another guy in this spot.

I'm not a huge Dwight fan, but it was a good move by the Rockets. I still think they are a few players away, but they will be an intriguing team to watch.

Mike Dunleavy was a good pick up by the Bulls. He will fit in well off the bench.

The Nets take the crown for the worst moves of the offseason. I love KG and Pierce, but they are too old and brittle to challenge Miami. They have Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, and Pierce on the perimeter. Three slow guys playing D against Miami and Chicago. They just paid a shitload and gave up picks to win a #3 or #4 seed. They will be gone by the 2nd round.

All of Dallas' moves were terrible. Calderon and Ellis in the same backcourt? Enjoy getting lit up as an 8 seed.

Josh Smith to Detriot- Why pay 56 million to still suck. Might as well tank.

Comments

• Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    What about the Supes? #HiLance
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,249
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    There's no way the Spurs resign Artis Gilmore.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Pacers have had a sneaky good offseason. Their bench was terrible and even with that pushed Race Bannon's Heat to a full seven games.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Pacers have had a sneaky good offseason. Their bench was terrible and even with that pushed Race Bannon's Heat to a full seven games.

Good call. They have made some nice moves.

• Options
    TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary

I like the Clippers adding JJ Redick and Jared Dudley. Dudley was a really good role player when he played with Nash, and I think he will do well for the Clips. 3 and D swingmen are very valuable, and Redick and Dudley are a huge upgrade over what they had. It doesn't hurt that they re-signed Barnes as well for another guy in this spot.

I'm not a huge Dwight fan, but it was a good move by the Rockets. I still think they are a few players away, but they will be an intriguing team to watch.

Mike Dunleavy was a good pick up by the Bulls. He will fit in well off the bench.

The Nets take the crown for the worst moves of the offseason. I love KG and Pierce, but they are too old and brittle to challenge Miami. They have Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, and Pierce on the perimeter. Three slow guys playing D against Miami and Chicago. They just paid a shitload and gave up picks to win a #3 or #4 seed. They will be gone by the 2nd round.

All of Dallas' moves were terrible. Calderon and Ellis in the same backcourt? Enjoy getting lit up as an 8 seed.

Silly.

The Nets were a capped out team that could only sign a 3 million dollar a year free agent and somehow turned Kris Humphries and Gerald Wallace into Garnett and Pierce. They also signed Kirilenko for less then half of what other teams were offering. To say they had the worst off season is really stupid. They had a mediocore first round loss team last year and somehow with no cap space nor quality assets turned it into a team that statistically projects to be the best team in the east next year. I don't think they'll be the best team in the east but they've given themselves at least a punchers chance.

As far as how old they are. Personally I'm not an ageist like you. I think senior citizens like Race Bannon have a lot to offer the community. And if you'll remember, the leader of the team that just pushed the Heat to 7 games was too old and too brittle or so most people thought.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited July 2013
    The moves made by Dallas in the off-season have been beaten to death around here. If you want to be critical that's fine but some of you don't know when to stop. We're in the process of creating a board dedicated to the off-season moves made by Dallas, and will be moving this thread there.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Silly.

The Nets were a capped out team that could only sign a 3 million dollar a year free agent and somehow turned Kris Humphries and Gerald Wallace into Garnett and Pierce. They also signed Kirilenko for less then half of what other teams were offering. To say they had the worst off season is really stupid. They had a mediocore first round loss team last year and somehow with no cap space nor quality assets turned it into a team that statistically projects to be the best team in the east next year. I don't think they'll be the best team in the east but they've given themselves at least a punchers chance.

As far as how old they are. Personally I'm not an ageist like you. I think senior citizens like Race Bannon have a lot to offer the community. And if you'll remember, the leader of the team that just pushed the Heat to 7 games was too old and too brittle or so most people thought.
    I understand turning Humphries and Wallace into Garnett and Pierce is a coup, but look at their roster. How the fuck are they going to guard any perimeter oriented team? Teams that go small are going to tear them the fuck up. They gave up multiple first rounders and are going to pay up the ass because of the luxury tax. The Russian obviously doesn't give a fuck, but wasting money to lose in the 2nd round is not good business.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Calling the Nets, the team that statistically projects to be the best team is what is silly. The Heat, Pacers, Bulls, and possibly the Knicks are better. The Nets are still a middle of the conference team.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,728
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Lakers won by not signing Howard. They'll suck this year and get rid of all their contracts and then get Lebron. The Heat three peat this year. No other team matters. HTH
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Silly.

So you're saying the Nets will be the best team in the East like Hasty was the best back on the field?

I've seen Trader Bob try to play fantasy basketball like this before. It doesn't work.
  • Options

Calling the Nets, the team that statistically projects to be the best team is what is silly. The Heat, Pacers, Bulls, and possibly the Knicks are better. The Nets are still a middle of the conference team.

This was the dumbest point made in this whole thread. The Nets will be lucky to win one playoff series. Plus they gave up a first in 2016 and 2018 so when they crap out they won't have a pick to rebuild.

I understand why they did the moves that they did but they remind me of the Lakers last year. Look good on paper but so old.

At best the Nets are the 4th best team in the East behind Miami, the Pacers and the Bulls.
  • Options

The Pacers only won 49 games in the regular season. They matched up well against the Knicks and Heat but they haven't proven they can do it in the regular season. The Bulls have a giant question mark in Rose. If he's not 100% back they aren't contenders.

You said the Nets had the worst off season. They went from a middle of the road team statistically to the best team in their conference statistically. That's about as good of an off season as you can have. You might not think they're real contenders but no one at all thought they were contenders before that trade and now some people do. That's a great trade for a team with no options.
  • Options

This was the dumbest point made in this whole thread. The Nets will be lucky to win one playoff series. Plus they gave up a first in 2016 and 2018 so when they crap out they won't have a pick to rebuild.

I understand why they did the moves that they did but they remind me of the Lakers last year. Look good on paper but so old.

At best the Nets are the 4th best team in the East behind Miami, the Pacers and the Bulls.
    I understand the comparison to the Lakers but that's an arbitrary comparison. Even if it was fair these are all different players. Just because teams do similar things doesn't mean it will work out exactly the same way. The Lakers needed Howard to be great but the Nets just need Pierce and Garnett to be good to win 55 games. They won the same amount of games as the Pacers did last year FYI.
  • Options

I understand the comparison to the Lakers but that's an arbitrary comparison. Even if it was fair these are all different players. Just because teams do similar things doesn't mean it will work out exactly the same way. The Lakers needed Howard to be great but the Nets just need Pierce and Garnett to be good to win 55 games. They won the same amount of games as the Pacers did last year FYI.
    They will be lucky to be in round two. They are old, don't play defense and D-Will, Pierce and Johnson all need the ball in their hands.

Jason Kidd was a great player but he's still a rookie head coach. In a playoff series you think a rookie head coach is going to be better than Thibs? Spol? or Vogal? I don't think so.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    alright guys, knock it off
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,005
    Founders Club
    Can we get back to talking X's and O's?
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,341
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    NBA = NOC

(until the Sonics are back)
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Why do you hate our offseason traffic generating topic?
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,341
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Why do you hate our offseason traffic generating topic?

who in the fuck are talking to?

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,728
    Swaye's Wigwam