Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

this sounds like something out of the old Soviet Union

2»

Comments

• Options
    TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary

I know one thing for sure, focusing on stable families and education would be a dumb idea. No one has ever shown causation between those things and living in a decent place. I'm thinking the government can get this fixed through some bureaucratic programs. Maybe even make it super easy for some of these folks to get loans to buy homes....just a thought...

Could you elaborate on "focusing on stable famies"? I'd like to hear how exactly you'd like the government to intervene in people's personal lives by telling them what kind of family they can and can't have.

And while we're solving this whole crime problem. Black people are more likely to live in poverty. People in poverty are more likely to commit crime. Ergo people should focus on not being black.
    I don't know, instead of banging bitches and having kids outside of marriage, maybe Jesse and AL could put down the bullhorn ranting about the blue eyed devil and pick it up encouraging people to take care of their shit. That's just a start....but there is no profit in it and is probably racist so it won't happen.

And it's not just a black issue. Whitey has the same problem, just to lesser degree as a percentage. But when I point that out I'm accused of classism.
    So you're starting point is to tell other people that they should tell other people how to live their lives.

How many lives has alcohol ruined? Why don't you start championing an anti drinking campaign? I'll bet you drug addicts are more likely to have consumed alcohol than non drug addicts. I'll bet you criminals are more likely to have consumed alcohol than non criminals.

It's odd that this "problem" is what gets your panties in a bunch. Crime rates are the lowest they've been in decades. There are more single parents than ever and you are safer than you've been in a long time. So why this, why now? Why not booze? Or cigarettes? I bet people that smoke are more likely to live in poverty. And people that live in poverty are more likely to commit crimes. Lets focus on getting people to stop smoking. I bet people that but lottery tickets are more likely to live in poverty and people in poverty are more likely to commit crimes so let's focus on getting people to not buy lottery tickets.

You're argument is silly. I can box anything poor people or criminals do more than everyone else up and say less of that = profit.
    Red herring much?
    Irony.
  • Options
    DeepSeaZ said:

Disagree. Stats show Mike is spot on. You can be poor with a solid family base, single parent or not, and get the support you need to make a better life. But, it's a hell of a lot harder if come from an broken family, single parent or not, that does not provide the support needed to change your life.

I know one thing for sure, focusing on stable families and education would be a dumb idea. No one has ever shown causation between those things and living in a decent place. I'm thinking the government can get this fixed through some bureaucratic programs. Maybe even make it super easy for some of these folks to get loans to buy homes....just a thought...

Could you elaborate on "focusing on stable famies"? I'd like to hear how exactly you'd like the government to intervene in people's personal lives by telling them what kind of family they can and can't have.

And while we're solving this whole crime problem. Black people are more likely to live in poverty. People in poverty are more likely to commit crime. Ergo people should focus on not being black.
    I don't know, instead of banging bitches and having kids outside of marriage, maybe Jesse and AL could put down the bullhorn ranting about the blue eyed devil and pick it up encouraging people to take care of their shit. That's just a start....but there is no profit in it and is probably racist so it won't happen.

And it's not just a black issue. Whitey has the same problem, just to lesser degree as a percentage. But when I point that out I'm accused of classism.
    So you're starting point is to tell other people that they should tell other people how to live their lives.

How many lives has alcohol ruined? Why don't you start championing an anti drinking campaign? I'll bet you drug addicts are more likely to have consumed alcohol than non drug addicts. I'll bet you criminals are more likely to have consumed alcohol than non criminals.

It's odd that this "problem" is what gets your panties in a bunch. Crime rates are the lowest they've been in decades. There are more single parents than ever and you are safer than you've been in a long time. So why this, why now? Why not booze? Or cigarettes? I bet people that smoke are more likely to live in poverty. And people that live in poverty are more likely to commit crimes. Lets focus on getting people to stop smoking. I bet people that but lottery tickets are more likely to live in poverty and people in poverty are more likely to commit crimes so let's focus on getting people to not buy lottery tickets.

You're argument is silly. I can box anything poor people or criminals do more than everyone else up and say less of that = profit.

My discussion Mike has nothing to do with statistics. He made it very clear that he didn't know the numbers when I asked him for evidence and he linked me to a random blog that appears to be associated with this website http://fathersmanifesto.net/intro.htm I'll let you draw your own conclusions. As far as I can tell that website and a couple others just like it seem to be the source for the link he gave. I cant find a legitimate source for them at all. All I've tried to since then is point out that his logic is flawed and to make a really really deep joke to Race.

If you'd like to link actual studies to back up the stats that's fine. I think I'd lose the technical statistics battle. But I don't find them to be overwhelming. To many self reported studies. Which I don't have a problem with in general. But when you use them in a study where you've drawn social lines I think it invalidates them. Even still the majority of studies will show a higher percentage of single parent kids having more problems than two parent kids. There are to many other variables though. Whether or not one of your parents has been incarcerated, for example, has been show to be a great predictor of whether or not you will be incarcerated. There are to many universal statistics like single parent rates are up while crime is down. Blacks are more likely to be raised by a single parent than whites but less likely to use drugs and black are also more likely to be arrested for using drugs. There are to many variables to call single parents the problem. And if you can understand that then you'll understand why Mikes red herring post is so ironic.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2013

DeepSeaZ said:

Disagree. Stats show Mike is spot on. You can be poor with a solid family base, single parent or not, and get the support you need to make a better life. But, it's a hell of a lot harder if come from an broken family, single parent or not, that does not provide the support needed to change your life.

My discussion Mike has nothing to do with statistics. He made it very clear that he didn't know the numbers when I asked him for evidence and he linked me to a random blog that appears to be associated with this website http://fathersmanifesto.net/intro.htm I'll let you draw your own conclusions. As far as I can tell that website and a couple others just like it seem to be the source for the link he gave. I cant find a legitimate source for them at all. All I've tried to since then is point out that his logic is flawed and to make a really really deep joke to Race.

If you'd like to link actual studies to back up the stats that's fine. I think I'd lose the technical statistics battle. But I don't find them to be overwhelming. To many self reported studies. Which I don't have a problem with in general. But when you use them in a study where you've drawn social lines I think it invalidates them. Even still the majority of studies will show a higher percentage of single parent kids having more problems than two parent kids. There are to many other variables though. Whether or not one of your parents has been incarcerated, for example, has been show to be a great predictor of whether or not you will be incarcerated. There are to many universal statistics like single parent rates are up while crime is down. Blacks are more likely to be raised by a single parent than whites but less likely to use drugs and black are also more likely to be arrested for using drugs. There are to many variables to call single parents the problem. And if you can understand that then you'll understand why Mikes red herring post is so ironic.
    What we have been doing the last 50 years has been great. Lets keep doing that. The government will fix it.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,728
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If I like my social welfare programs I can keep them.
  • Options
    You're right Damone. Nothing's been accomplished since the 1960s.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,240
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

DeepSeaZ said:

What we have been doing the last 50 years has been great. Lets keep doing that. The government will fix it.
    Kwame Kilpatrick agrees.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

You're right Damone. Nothing's been accomplished since the 1960s.

Tons has been accomplished. My point is that we have been a crossroads where individuals, familes , and communities taking care of their business will do 1000 times more good than having a Zimmerman rally and another government program. That's all. But if that happens the victim mentality goes away and with that, those that make their living off perpetuating the victim mentality. That's a problem.