Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Kikahahahaha in at #4 of 25

Comments

• Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

topdawgnc said:

Time Bandits ... a classic 80's flic ...
    I know your being sarkastic, but that's actually from the movie Willow.
    80's superiority guy.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2014

Gonna need some discipline in the two hole this week. Mariotta self tackled himself against Arizona on a run that could have gone 80 up the gut for a TD and changed that game

Stay in your lanes and keep him contained. Marriottaa is the one reason I lack a lot of confidence this week

Same. UW has the better team (and coach) sans Mariota. He's all that is holding Oregon from a .500 season.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

Swaye said:

Shelton is easily the most improved player on the team. It's one of the biggest year to year improvements I have ever seen. Before this season he only had 2.5 sacks in his career. He wasn't a pass rusher at all. I continuously harped on the podcast that when our DE's got pressure, QB's could step up in the pocket. An interior pass rush was solely needed. I thought what we saw out of Shelton was what he would be. A solid, run stuffing DT.

This year he has 7 sacks already. He didn't get a sack against Cal or Stanford, but there were multiple plays he got pressure. He's also the leading tackler on the team with 49. He's having a monster season.

And Shelton distorting the pocket has directly helped Kikaha with his monster 10 sacks. So yeah, from an almost non existant interior disruptor/pass rusher who took every third play off to an absolute terror pushing up the middle who is on fire 110 % of the time. Love it.
    Gotta hand it to @passion, it's been a damn good year for the formula.

For Oregon, the Formula is different. Stanford, and I noticed Arizona doing it to, plays hard at the line with the d-linemen keeping separation but not penetration. They play laterally and keep all the play fakes in front of them. Chip was often happy to have guys blowing blindly upfield and scheme around it. Not a huge secret, but the key has been to have the defensive linemen physically capable of playing laterally without getting blown up. It's not easy to do.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,406
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

Swaye said:

Shelton is easily the most improved player on the team. It's one of the biggest year to year improvements I have ever seen. Before this season he only had 2.5 sacks in his career. He wasn't a pass rusher at all. I continuously harped on the podcast that when our DE's got pressure, QB's could step up in the pocket. An interior pass rush was solely needed. I thought what we saw out of Shelton was what he would be. A solid, run stuffing DT.

This year he has 7 sacks already. He didn't get a sack against Cal or Stanford, but there were multiple plays he got pressure. He's also the leading tackler on the team with 49. He's having a monster season.

And Shelton distorting the pocket has directly helped Kikaha with his monster 10 sacks. So yeah, from an almost non existant interior disruptor/pass rusher who took every third play off to an absolute terror pushing up the middle who is on fire 110 % of the time. Love it.
    Gotta hand it to @passion, it's been a damn good year for the formula.

For Oregon, the Formula is different. Stanford, and I noticed Arizona doing it to, plays hard at the line with the d-linemen keeping separation but not penetration. They play laterally and keep all the play fakes in front of them. Chip was often happy to have guys blowing blindly upfield and scheme around it. Not a huge secret, but the key has been to have the defensive linemen physically capable of playing laterally without getting blown up. It's not easy to do.
    Good point. The Locker year that the game was tied at 35 before UO still won by 20 plus had a play where Husky Stadium rose as one as the Duck QB got crushed. Of course he no longer had the ball

UO doesn't look as crisp these days on the fakes. We'll see
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    topdawgnc said:

topdawgnc said:

Time Bandits ... a classic 80's flic ...
    I know your being sarkastic, but that's actually from the movie Willow.
    80's superiority guy.
    I also know my midgets B-)
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2014
    @AZDuck- Correct me where I am wrong. Oregon's OL is bad. WR's are young, but talented. They probably rank somewhere in the middle compared to the rest of the Pac 12. Very good RB's.

On defense, mediocre DL. Bad LB's. A pretty good secondary, but substantially worse than last year's. Pellum has been no better than Allioti.

Without Mariota, you lose to Michigan State, you likely lose to WSU, and you lost to Arizona with him. Helfrich sucks and Oregon would be .500 without him. The rest of your team isn't very good like it has been the past 6 years and you no longer have a great head coach.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

@AZDuck- Correct me where I am wrong. Oregon's OL is bad. WR's are young, but talented. They probably rank somewhere in the middle compared to the rest of the Pac 12. Very good RB's.

On defense, mediocre DL. Bad LB's. A pretty good secondary, but substantially worse than last year's. Pellum has been no better than Allioti.

Without Mariota, you lose to Michigan State, you likely lose to WSU, and you lost to Arizona with him. Helfrich sucks and Oregon would be .500 without him. The rest of your team isn't very good like it has been the past 6 years and you no longer have a great head coach.

What the fuck happened to Greatwood (LOL)? Oregon has had about the best OL in the Pac sans Stanford for years....
  • Options
    VegasdawgVegasdawg Member Posts: 370
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    We have had great talent enter this program for years, in less than a full season under Peterman and his staff, they are flowering. We see this every week this season, the players keep improving, can't wait for a couple of seasons under this staff to see what the team can accomplish. Fuck we have had a lot of frauds as coaches.
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,118
    Founders Club

I agree with this line of thought, as I did with every super star they've had over the last 7 years.

Dixon
    Masoli
    Thomas

Stewart
    Blount
    James

until they stop recruiting and developing stars, I wont count on graduation to slow them down.

• Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited October 2014
    Greatwood is still there, and the OL isn't as bad as it is banged up. We also have probably the best stable of RBs in the conference, and one of the best in the nation. The WRs have actually been exceeding my expectations for the season. Devon Allen is going to get paid in the NFL. The DL is serviceable, and the secondary is very good, with John Neal who is one of the best DB coaches around. The LBs suck. The defensive scheme as a whole is bend-but-don't-break shit. That's all Don Pellum.

On the whole I think our offense is still the best in the league - we did whatever the fuck we wanted against UCLA. The defense is a dumpster fire, and I'm convinced that Helfraud is a -1 coach.
    Without Mariota, you lose to Michigan State, you likely lose to WSU, and you lost to Arizona with him.
    I can play doog games too. Without the OL injuries, we probably beat the fuck out of Arizona and Wazzu and would still be in contention for a playoff berth.

Without a doubt Mariota is the best player on Oregon's team, but he isn't the team.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2014
    brchco12 said:

I agree with this line of thought, as I did with every super star they've had over the last 7 years.

Dixon
    Masoli
    Thomas

Stewart
    Blount
    James

until they stop recruiting and developing stars, I wont count on graduation to slow them down.

Chip Kelly >>>>>> Helfrich. Oregon will continue to have stars, that's not the point. Freeman will be a star. Devon Allen looks like another.

It's played out. With Helfrich as their coach and Mariota gone, the run is over. It might be over this year with Mariota. I don't consider that dooging, it's common sense.
  • Options
    If Helfrich can't produce wins at the Bellotti level, he will be door-ass-out. But really, I think your team should actually beat us once or twice before you can pronounce the run truly over.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited October 2014

Gonna need some discipline in the two hole this week. Mariotta self tackled himself against Arizona on a run that could have gone 80 up the gut for a TD and changed that game

Stay in your lanes and keep him contained. Marriottaa is the one reason I lack a lot of confidence this week

Hit him. Again. And again.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2014
    AZDuck said:

If Helfrich can't produce wins at the Bellotti level, he will be door-ass-out. But really, I think your team should actually beat us once or twice before you can pronounce the run truly over.

It's not about UW. HTH. If I was saying UW was going to be a power, that would be one thing. I know we aren't close to that at this point. The point was Oregon would be a .500 team without Mariota. To say otherwise, and say Mariota isn't masking huge issues with your program is Quooking. It's been evident all year.
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,118
    Founders Club
    I hear what you're saying, I just remember thinking this when Chip came in to begin with, 5 years from now we'll actually know what was going on right now.

I'd like to believe we're getting a hell of alot better over the next couple years, and hope that they've already plateaued than to put all my hope in them sucking. Doogs just hope their rivals get worse.
  • Options
    Marshall/Tyner/Freeman/Ifo/Grasu/Fisher/Allen/Armstead

Each of these guys is an NFL-type player who is not named Mariota.

My nightmare is that because Helfrich is a good recruiter (arguably, recruiting has improved post-Kelly) that we will coast on talent well enough to keep Helfrich around but without the competing for championships part. 7-10 wins a season type stuff. I don't see Helfrich driving the Ferrari into the ditch, that would make things too easy and clear.