Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

One question I'll be asking on tomorrow's podcast

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,420 Founders Club
Does DeBoer and the UW defensive coaches deserve credit for in-game adjustments and playing much better in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters?

Or do they deserve scrutiny and blame for being an historically atrocious sieve in the first quarter?

Comments

• dtddtd Member Posts: 4,503 Standard Supporter
    How many times has Michigan shown that jumbo package this year?
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 4,503 Standard Supporter
    edited January 9
    PurpleJ said:

Counterpoint: Grubb failing for the entire game. Defense coaches earned their paychecks today.

Meanwhile Penix gets hurt dropping back to pass FIFTY-ONE times. You can't have it both ways. Michigan dominated the lines. One team stopped the run and ran the ball. One team protected their quarterback and pressured the opponent's quarterback.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,939 Founders Club
    dtd said:

PurpleJ said:

Counterpoint: Grubb failing for the entire game. Defense coaches earned their paychecks today.

Meanwhile Penix gets hurt dropping back to pass FIFTY-ONE times. You can't have it both ways. Michigan dominated the lines. One team stopped the run and ran the ball. One team protected their quarterback and pressured the opponent's quarterback.
    Didn't have to drop back. Quick routes would have done just fine. Steve Young pal. Californian leadership.
  • CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,126 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 9
    That's a fantastic question and I also wonder:

- If we are going to run with co-DCs, why isn't one of them up in the box?
    - How many teams have co-DCs and how's it working out?
    - Who actually commands the D? I'm assuming Chuck, but ???
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,605 Standard Supporter
    Why was the offense dependent fully on Dillon Johnson apparently?

Or was Germie Bernard the missing piece?

I mean I hated missing those guys but their absence should not have made us play that bad.

Something just felt off all night for everyone on offense. Like more than what Michigan’s D did. Was that the case from TV.

My theory is we were tired. Washington had to go to school last week. Michigan didn’t. When you add up all the travel and media confined to the week between Sugar and Natty, adding classes on top is a lot. Nothing to worry about if you play for Mich.

No trick plays/flea flickers? Why?
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,506 Swaye's Wigwam

Take away 4 or 5 or 6 long runs and the defense shut Michigan down

But seriously at 10-17 at the half I texted @iDawg and said we survived and we own the 2nd half. For Michigan to be at 20 points late in the third after giving up 17 on the first three possessions was right on schedule. USC worked them over far worse but the offense scored at will against the USC defense

The O did all the little things that losers do last night. Frustrating but Michigan pays their players too

This was my take at the half but I was 8 or 9 beers in in the concourse.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,420 Founders Club

haie said:

Take away 4 or 5 or 6 long runs and the defense shut Michigan down

But seriously at 10-17 at the half I texted @iDawg and said we survived and we own the 2nd half. For Michigan to be at 20 points late in the third after giving up 17 on the first three possessions was right on schedule. USC worked them over far worse but the offense scored at will against the USC defense

The O did all the little things that losers do last night. Frustrating but Michigan pays their players too

This was my take at the half but I was 8 or 9 beers in in the concourse.
    17-10 at Half with ball coming out felt like KDB drew it up that way. The pick on the first play felt ominous but the D did what was needed for us to live to fight another series.

Thought the Joe Moore OL would make adjustments at half to clean up the pocket, Huff failed miserably.

Dogshit execution in the second half was pretty stunning to behold, didn’t see it coming at all.
    Great summation
  • NookTunnelSyndromeNookTunnelSyndrome Member Posts: 285
    Adidas and UW dropped the ball in promoting the event. Adidas should have put a full court press on especially @ fan fest. Seeing the sploosh on some UW swag made me want to vomit, I know it’s contracted for the Cfp, still, how adidas didn’t flood the market is beyond me.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,163
    This and I pretty much was resigned to losing by the end of the 3rd. They needed to draw even before the 4th quarter.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,811 Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm not gonna throw all the offensive woes Grubb's way. There were a lot of plays to be had and Penix missed them. He hits one or two of them, and it could be a different game altogether.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,885 Standard Supporter
    Penix didn't get his reads down well and missed, threw behind, and over/under threw wide-open receivers all night long.

He also couldn't get the ball out quick enough to make MI's aggressive pass rushers pay. It was obvious midway through the first quarter that long drop-back passes were not going to win that game.

Again, where was the "attack the defense" mentality last night? Instead I saw a lot of hesitance and fear.