Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Teq's 2024 HS Recruiting Class Thoughts

Format of this is going to be some very high level comments/views on players with ceilings, comparable players, etc. highlighted if they jumped out at me of the HS only players that have to date committed and signed their NLI. I'll be talking about each player from top down as it pertains to the recruiting ratings of the class and breaking it up over a series of 3 posts.

Overall Class

A lot of very solid players in the class where I agree with Coker's assessment on X/Twitter where he noted that there wasn't a wasted scholarship given. With that said, I see most of the players in this class as being more on the developmental side (notably in gaining the required size to play in college) with most ticketed to a 2024 redshirt and honestly probably only a handful working their way into their respective positional rotations in 2025 ... 2026 should be when you start to see a lot of the guys in this class really pop and hit the tip of the tongue.

Noah Carter - EDGE

You can't watch 5 seconds of his tape without the athleticism popping off the screen ... I'm always encouraged when I see an edge player that has a foundation as a skill position player offensively in HS (although typically it is as of a RB/QB) and not a WR who also returns punts. That's absolutely crazy. We're talking about FREAK athleticism here and if he can maintain that athleticism as he hits the weight room and gets to that minimum 255-265 range that you need to play the edge at a high level both against the pass but just as importantly against the run (particularly with the move to the Big10), the sky is absolutely the limit because his ability to disrupt is obvious and there's instincts to match it.

This is a player that has Day 1 pick all over him if his development goes right at UW. I can see him playing 3-4 games as a true freshman in some of the garbage time minutes to get on the field and gain experience with the hope/goal of being in the rotation in 2025 with probably a lean towards passing downs as I suspect he'll be on the lighter end of the weight range at that point. Come 2026 ... get the popcorn ready.

Dermericus Davis - QB

This is a really interesting prospect to me because he's got the height and the smoothness of his throws is there ... I'd definitely say he's more of an accurate thrower of the ball than he is one with a rocket arm. The footwork is definitely solid for a HS prospect although he doesn't quite get onto his front side stepping into his throws as much as I'd like to see and may be an area to focus in on in developing additional arm strength. He's decisive in his decision making and doesn't hold onto the ball unnecessarily so it's not hard to see that popping for the staff. My biggest worry with him is that his throwing motion has a lower release than you'd like (Penix has shown that you can work around that) but more concerning is that unlike Penix the motion required to deliver the ball definitely has a loop in it It's not necessarily uncommon for QBs at this age but getting the ball out quickly is really a requirement as you advance in football.

Outlook wise, this is a tough one to really call out. If you go back and watch Mack's Junior film and compare it to the Senior film for Davis, even Grandpa Sankey can see the obvious difference. While I don't look ahead to future recruits until they sign their NLIs, timing wise it just feels like next year is the near where we need to make sure that we hit on a QB in recruiting. I'm not saying that Davis can't or won't develop, but a lot will need to play out right in development to advance past Mack over the next say 3 years (remember, if Mack leaves as a RS Junior as a 2 year starter he'll be draft eligible at the age of 20 which is still crazy young for a QB). My best guess is that Davis likely portals out of the program after a few years of development looking for an opportunity to play elsewhere.

Paki Finau - OL

One of the things that I learned quickly over the years talking recruiting with DDY and Coker is that when evaluating OL talent, the most important thing to look at is their feet. When you look at this year's UW OL, the thing that really sets them apart for me is how mobile they are whether in the athleticism that they display in their pass sets by being able to get balanced and anchor accordingly or getting out and lead blocking which is not the easiest when arguably your bread and butter run play is a toss sweep to an offset back. When I look at Finau, his feet are fabulous and he's got that nasty streak in him that you know that Scott Huff loves in his OL. When he sets in pass protection, it looks super natural and that's a requirement for playing OL in a DeBoer/Grubb system. A continuing theme here though is that development is a requirement and with him being listed at 253 pounds, you're looking at a minimum of 40 pounds and more realistically 50 pounds of good weight being needed before he's realistically ready to see the field.

He's an interesting player because the athleticism and nastiness gives options. The feet give you the ability to get out to the outside and be a T ... there's the potential to do what Troy has done there. On the other hand, the nasty and athleticism have the opportunity to play perfectly inside as a guard and his ability to pull and lead on tosses and counters is also really exciting. I'd be very surprised if Paki didn't end up as a multi-year starter in his UW career assuming he gets to where he needs to get to in his weight room development.

Ratumana Bulabalavu - DL/DT

Tuli's cousin - so by default you know he's a player. Second, assuming we continue the tradition with Tuli of not even trying to say his entire name, I hope we come up with a better one for Ratumana than Rat. That being said, it might fit because the feet jump off the tape as his quickness and movement skills consistently show not only the ability to disrupt with instant penetration but also in a high motor that shows itself in pursuit situations. What may be the most impressive thing though in his film isn't necessarily the highlights but that he has an understanding of carrying out his role and doing what is asked of him (i.e. setting an edge defensively) ... it's definitely not something that you typically see on film when looking at a high-end recruit who can frankly out athlete his competition.

At 285 and what doesn't appear to be much bad weight on him, he's probably got a shorter developmental path than others in this class although there is room to continue filling out and developing. I could absolutely see him as someone that hits the field faster than others in this class. It's always difficult to say that a true freshman on the DL will get games as a true freshman but it's possible he earns some snaps in September. I fully expect to see him in the DL rotation in 2025 and a very likely starter in 2026. There's a lot to really like here and assuming he's able to maintain the athleticism as he develops in the weight room, UW may have a real penetrating threat at DT for the first time in quite awhile.

Comments

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,906
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

This is the best contribution that's ever been offered on this site, let's be clear. Agree or disagree with the takes, it's fantastic. Tequila, despite my qualms with his takes throughout history, has really outdone himself this time. In a good way. Someday I hope to lay on my sheepskin rug next to my indoor cozy wood-burning fireplace with my cat and read the whole thing. But, alas, there is no roof. I am homeless. I have no cat.

JK I have two little smurfbubbles and they are my everything.

I laughed.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,172
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited December 2023

This is the best contribution that's ever been offered on this site, let's be clear. Agree or disagree with the takes, it's fantastic. Tequila, despite my qualms with his takes throughout history, has really outdone himself this time. In a good way. Someday I hope to lay on my sheepskin rug next to my indoor cozy wood-burning fireplace with my cat and read the whole thing. But, alas, there is no roof. I am homeless. I have no cat.

JK I have two little smurfbubbles and they are my everything.

I laughed.
    Oh, so you think being a Cat Man is funny. Hilarious. Grow up, man.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Nice write up. Overall I like this class and I think that if we continue to see the kind of development we've seen so far by this staff, we'll see some stars emerge. I'm most intrigued by Bulabalavu who put up unreal #s (albeit in a lower division) but is now 285 and could be an absolute beast inside in a couple years. The late bloomer OL we got is also interesting. He already has the size and seems to have just had the technique click for him this year. His high school team was great. I think we got a steal here.

Really happy with the portal players we got too. Hopefully Green gets in.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I'll add that in terms of pure "crootin", the 2024 performance by our coaches was pretty mediocre-bad, especially at LB, DT, and RB. We should have a lot of NIL money left over.

Hand those giant bags to DJ, JMac, Polk, Roger, Muhammad, and even try with Faatanu. Then send a giant bag to Yurosek and the Cal receiver. The most important recruiting is yet to be done. Bring back all those guys and next year looks promising
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    so we went from looking at teenboys hips to their feet now
  • Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,294
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Do we know when the weights were measured? I'm assuming they were all taken on the officials, so June for most of them.

I would be pretty concerned about Robinson, Johnson and House if that's their current weight.
  • Options
    DawgDaze71DawgDaze71 Member Posts: 704

I'll add that in terms of pure "crootin", the 2024 performance by our coaches was pretty mediocre-bad, especially at LB, DT, and RB. We should have a lot of NIL money left over.

Hand those giant bags to DJ, JMac, Polk, Roger, Muhammad, and even try with Faatanu. Then send a giant bag to Yurosek and the Cal receiver. The most important recruiting is yet to be done. Bring back all those guys and next year looks promising

You talking about Hunter from Cal? I like that kid he's a baller. They need to be all over Yurosek not just because of his cool name. That kid along with Cuevas?? Lord the nightmares opposing LB would have.

I think the coaches are learning that just winning isn't enough to grab whatever talent you want. Soon DeBoer will be making 8+ million a season. We need the developmental kids but we also need the marquee athletes that people want to see. I thought Courtney Morgan was going to have a bit more sway with some of these kids.

I like the spot we're in for now. We have kids that didn't have the silver spoons and were slept on and those are the kids the come in and out hustle their higher regarded HS counterparts. We have a good amount of kids with a lot to prove.

• Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,172
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited December 2023

Surprised you're not getting more Tequilla-long hate, but as a windbag myself, I always read and appreciate.

What you really need to do, though, is pry DDY away from @trublue, get Coker to the low-T clinic, get the band back together, and give the peoples their signing day pod. Trust me, all these shit-talking jilted lovers would listen. TSIO signing day pod is a tradition that needs to come back!

I need to know who's a DDY3, dammit!

I left this place for a few years because I hated it but I've returned and it mostly seems fine, I guess, for now, as long as I don't look at the Tug. Same as it ever was.

That's been my experience. What will be DDYs?

#RedemptionArc
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,623
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Good job @Tequilla. This keeps me from being tempted to do a recruit writeup.

I'm a big fan of Justice Williams too. Craig Chambers like imo but a bit taller and looks to play with more edge.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Ratumana Bulabalavu - Ratatuli

Sorry.

Mana or Bula
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,114
    edited December 2023
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,930
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Ratumana Bulabalavu - Ratatuli

Sorry.

Mana or Bula
    Too easy. I know you’ve seen Ratatouille.
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,148
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Thanks Teq! Good chit my man.