Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

2000 Heisman race

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,328
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
Since Jayden or is it Jalylen or Julian Daniels became the first QB to run for 200 yards and pass for 300 yards and is now the Heisman front runner it got me thinking about Tui who was the 2nd player to run for 200 and pass for 300 yards I guess. Maybe ESPN needs to work on their graphics but I digress.

Tui won the conference, beat the vaunted Canes, and went 10-1 regular season. And was an after thought. Drew Brees who Tui would beat, finished higher. 37 year old Chris "Bo Nix" Weinke won it

It's tough to beat the south. Unless it's a war or something. Losers

Comments

• Options
    JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 1,980
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Mario Bailey consistently calls him “McDaniels” on the honks
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,503
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Example of how legit East Coast bias was back then and terrible promotion by the program that Tui was that low. Weinke winning is another reminder that the award can be a farce sometimes. It's not as bad as it was though with QBs who were just on stacked teams now though at least.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,492
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    LT should've won that year.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Simonton kept Stephen Jackson on the bench

Jackson was killing the Huskies
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited November 2023

Since Jayden or is it Jalylen or Julian Daniels became the first QB to run for 200 yards and pass for 300 yards and is now the Heisman front runner it got me thinking about Tui who was the 2nd player to run for 200 and pass for 300 yards I guess. Maybe ESPN needs to work on their graphics but I digress.

Tui won the conference, beat the vaunted Canes, and went 10-1 regular season. And was an after thought. Drew Brees who Tui would beat, finished higher. 37 year old Chris "Bo Nix" Weinke won it

I forget, which team did he lose to? You forgot to mention that Tui beat an 8-4 Boilermaker team.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Also beat a GOOD! (For real) Beaver team. People forget.

Weinke gets a lot of shit but was a damn good QB and athahlete. But, no, others should have have come ahead. Much as I loved Tui, I probably would have voted for Vick, and I hated Tech in those days.

Funny story from just now. I’m was typing “would have voted” with my fat fingers and autocorrect made it “bited”. Coincidence being within a couple words of Vick? You decide.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    SFGbob said:

I forget, which team did he lose to? You forgot to mention that Tui beat an 8-4 Boilermaker team.
    A team he would have been favored to beat in a neutral field rematch
  • Options
    flatusflatus Member Posts: 877
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

Imaginary win superiority guy chimes in with an imaginary win.

Hang the banner.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    flatus said:

SFGbob said:

Hang the banner.

Fail
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

flatus said:

SFGbob said:

Hang the banner.

Fail
    Honestly don't remember Weinke much or Heupel other than one of the big reasons the SEC and Ohio State/Clemson etc have run away from west coast schools is they've developed QBs who can truly pass and move now. Feels like those schools used to always have stiffs while the Pac-12 would show up with a pro style QB and it made a difference.

Truth is Washington probably wanted nothing to do with a rematch with Oregon State and definitely wanted nothing to do with a rematch with Miami in 2000.
  • Options
    flatusflatus Member Posts: 877
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary
    Standard Supporter

flatus said:

SFGbob said:

Hang the banner.

Fail
    Honestly don't remember Weinke much or Heupel other than one of the big reasons the SEC and Ohio State/Clemson etc have run away from west coast schools is they've developed QBs who can truly pass and move now. Feels like those schools used to always have stiffs while the Pac-12 would show up with a pro style QB and it made a difference.

Truth is Washington probably wanted nothing to do with a rematch with Oregon State and definitely wanted nothing to do with a rematch with Miami in 2000.
    This.

2000 OS is -12.5 over 2000 UW or 2000 Oregon in a P10 championship rematch.

Right now.

On FanDuel.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    flatus said:

flatus said:

SFGbob said:

Hang the banner.

Fail

This.

Right now.

On FanDuel.
    Even back then when I was more doog I was saying Miami and Oregon State were probably the two best teams in the country at the end of that season and boy woudl that have been a fun fucking game, especially with Erickson coaching the Beav.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,515
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

flatus said:

flatus said:

SFGbob said:

Hang the banner.

Fail

This.

Right now.

On FanDuel.
    Even back then when I was more doog I was saying Miami and Oregon State were probably the two best teams in the country at the end of that season and boy woudl that have been a fun fucking game, especially with Erickson coaching the Beav.
    I think your guys memories are clouded by how awful that ND team was that Beav drew in the fiesta bowl.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ntxduck said:

flatus said:

flatus said:

SFGbob said:

Hang the banner.

Fail

This.

Right now.

On FanDuel.
    I think your guys memories are clouded by how awful that ND team was that Beav drew in the fiesta bowl.
    I see that. The truth was Miami was probably head and shoulders above everyone at that point. One of the most fun non-UW college football games I've ever watched. My favorite moment I still always talk about was camera goes to a group of straight out of Lebanon-looking Beav fans were clad in overalls, smiling and holding a sign that said "What Do You Call A Dead Irishman?" the guy starts to turn the sign around and the camera immediately cuts away.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    UW was fortunate Miami ran out of time. No argument there

But Oregon State took their shot and lost
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,862
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

ntxduck said:

flatus said:

flatus said:

SFGbob said:

Hang the banner.

Fail

This.

Right now.

On FanDuel.
    I see that. The truth was Miami was probably head and shoulders above everyone at that point. One of the most fun non-UW college football games I've ever watched. My favorite moment I still always talk about was camera goes to a group of straight out of Lebanon-looking Beav fans were clad in overalls, smiling and holding a sign that said "What Do You Call A Dead Irishman?" the guy starts to turn the sign around and the camera immediately cuts away.
    I wanna know the punchline!
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited November 2023

I was at both! That’s back when I went to games.

I still like the old system. IDGAF what anyone else says.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

ntxduck said:

flatus said:

flatus said:

SFGbob said:

Hang the banner.

Fail

This.

Right now.

On FanDuel.
    I wanna know the punchline!
    We will never know.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Yeah and to doog a bit UW could have salted that game away a lot more and kept Miami further away but Tui had two really really unforced bad turnovers.

Outside of Johnson and Houshmanzadeh, that Beav team turned out to be a little bit overhyped but it's not like the Husky team was loaded with future Pro Bowlers either.