Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Devo - Are we not men? Update...

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,931
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
edited October 2023 in Yellow Snow's Record Shoppe
You learn something new everyday.

Comments

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2023
    Also FREE PUB for @Doogles and @creepycoug

I've had that Devo album since college and never actually bothered to figure out who the Swarthy guy on the cover was.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,854
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Also FREE PUB for @Doogles and @creepycoug

I've had that Devo album since college and never actually bothered to figure out who the Swarthy guy on the cover was.

Puerto Rican swarthy > Cuban swarthy?

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    @RaceBannon where does Chi Chi rank for you on the all time non major winners list?
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,252
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    A pal of mine who played in MLB was playing winter ball in PR, and went to play golf at a local course. It was him and another, and on the first tee the intercom asked if they would take a third...out walks Chi Chi, he owned the course (Literally).

As they played, my guy hit a ball in the bunker on an approach and cursed. Chi Chi, hitting next, adjusted his aim, and hit it in the same bunker (as told by my friend). As they walked up, Chi Chi said "Your attitude is all wrong. You hate the sand, but the sand is your friend". As Chi Chi addressed his ball, he repeated "The sand is my friend" over and over, and then holed-it out.

Since hearing that story, I began to say it before hitting sand shots. My sand game got much better...CSB
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Fishpo31 said:

A pal of mine who played in MLB was playing winter ball in PR, and went to play golf at a local course. It was him and another, and on the first tee the intercom asked if they would take a third...out walks Chi Chi, he owned the course (Literally).

As they played, my guy hit a ball in the bunker on an approach and cursed. Chi Chi, hitting next, adjusted his aim, and hit it in the same bunker (as told by my friend). As they walked up, Chi Chi said "Your attitude is all wrong. You hate the sand, but the sand is your friend". As Chi Chi addressed his ball, he repeated "The sand is my friend" over and over, and then holed-it out.

Since hearing that story, I began to say it before hitting sand shots. My sand game got much better...CSB

I hope your MLB buddy learned in talking to Chi Chi that he was a pretty decent baseball player too - played with Roberto Clemente as a teenager.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I'm surprised you didn't know this Yella ... there was a show on the relationship on Golf Channel in the past

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thy0gQzqgY0
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,360
    Swaye's Wigwam

@RaceBannon where does Chi Chi rank for you on the all time non major winners list?

8 tour wins. 22 senior tour wins. I had to Google

I remember his senior tour more. He helped build it

Considering the tour was whites only until 1960 or so he had a solid career but not memorable
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Not Race obviously, who will be better equipped to speak to Chi Chi’s abilities better than I since he was before my time, but Rodriguez was only OK (I don’t think he won any majors), but he ended up doing well on the seniors’ tour.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Not Race obviously, who will be better equipped to speak to Chi Chi’s abilities better than I since he was before my time, but Rodriguez was only OK (I don’t think he won any majors), but he ended up doing well on the seniors’ tour.
    We've entered a mind meld phase

• Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,252
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Fishpo31 said:

I hope your MLB buddy learned in talking to Chi Chi that he was a pretty decent baseball player too - played with Roberto Clemente as a teenager.
    Yes, he told me that was discussed. To say that Chi Chi had great hands was an understatement...
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

We've entered a mind meld phase

Well, at least the golf section of our brain. 😅
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    One final pop culture fun fact for you @YellowSnow - “Miss Chi Chi Rodriguez” was John Leguizano’s drag name in the movie “To Wong Foo”:

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    To put perspective on Chi Chi's regular tour career, appearing on the original Shell's Wonderful World of Golf was a big deal ... Chi Chi appeared 4 different times on the initial broadcast run in the 60's
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

I always loved that move. My brother and I would try to replicate it growing up.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Quit plagarisms of my shit, boss.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I always loved that move. My brother and I would try to replicate it growing up.
    I might do it on the course next summer for the 2nd Annual Hardcore Husky White Wakanda Golf Classic with @DerekJohnson .
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

I'm surprised you didn't know this Yella ... there was a show on the relationship on Golf Channel in the past

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thy0gQzqgY0

What a CSB!