Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

I'm very concerned about the elevation of the LA Coliseum

EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,474
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
I know this sounds retarded, but hear me out. According to the googles, the elevation of the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum is a mere 141 feet above sea level. However, I posit that it plays much higher than that, at least for part of the game. At the beginning of the 4th quarter, they light the Olympic Torch at the Coliseum. Anyone who's taken basic chemistry knows that the formula for combustion is: fuel + oxygen = carbon dioxide + water. The torch burning literally sucks the oxygen out of the stadium, thus creating artificial elevation. USC is used to this, we are not, which gives them approximately a 14 point advantage in the 4th quarter according to my scientific calculations. If the Dawgs can build up enough of a lead to prepare for the 4th quarter elevation, 9-0 here we come. If not, my wife is going to be inserting the plunger, possibly literally. We haven't finalized the wager on this game yet.

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    where do i send my $10.99?
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,549
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Yeah, I'm real concerned about their stars
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,893
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    You mentioned she’ll plunger you if you lose. So if you win… butt stuff. Obvious answer is obvious.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,615
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    What about the effect on altitude though?
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Reminds me of the Tua post from Alabama.
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Stanford football player level analysis
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,017
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    dude should be more concerned about getting shot in the coliseum.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    Standard Supporter

I know this sounds retarded, but hear me out. According to the googles, the elevation of the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum is a mere 141 feet above sea level. However, I posit that it plays much higher than that, at least for part of the game. At the beginning of the 4th quarter, they light the Olympic Torch at the Coliseum. Anyone who's taken basic chemistry knows that the formula for combustion is: fuel + oxygen = carbon dioxide + water. The torch burning literally sucks the oxygen out of the stadium, thus creating artificial elevation. USC is used to this, we are not, which gives them approximately a 14 point advantage in the 4th quarter according to my scientific calculations. If the Dawgs can build up enough of a lead to prepare for the 4th quarter elevation, 9-0 here we come. If not, my wife is going to be inserting the plunger, possibly literally. We haven't finalized the wager on this game yet.

That’s quite a theory, but my googles say you don’t normally see athletic performance impacted until going 150m (492 ft), but the difference is negligible. (At 1000m (3280ft) you start to see more of drop but even that’s small - 2 to 4%).

One also needs to consider meteorological and environmental impacts on chemical reactions. Temperature, solar radiation, wind speed, and mixing of air pollutants from area traffic all need to be factored in. So the Olympic Torch could be a ticking time bomb or a non-factor.
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,864
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Can't argue with science.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club

Pics after your wife inserts the plunger up your rectum.
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,265
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Ring Sting don't care about no elevation
  • Options
    ArcArc Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 112
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'd be more concerned about the draft it is going to pull from the other end of the stadium. If USC is moving the ball towards the torch in the 4th quarter, I'd expect 65 yard field goals to be chip shots for them.
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,959
    Founders Club

That’s quite a theory, but my googles say you don’t normally see athletic performance impacted until going 150m (492 ft), but the difference is negligible. (At 1000m (3280ft) you start to see more of drop but even that’s small - 2 to 4%).

One also needs to consider meteorological and environmental impacts on chemical reactions. Temperature, solar radiation, wind speed, and mixing of air pollutants from area traffic all need to be factored in. So the Olympic Torch could be a ticking time bomb or a non-factor.
    So, either way it’ll be interesting?
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,075
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

In the 80's, I was working at a small school in SoCal, and our AD had been on John Robinson's staff at SC. He asked if I wanted tix when the Huskies came to town, and (duh) I said "Yes, please". My "date" (my boss) bailed at the last minute, so I went alone, to a night game at the Coliseum, driving a car with Washington plates.

On Monday, he asked "How was the game?" ("We" lost)...When I told him I went alone, he lost it, "If you didn't make it out of there, I would have lived with that for the rest of my life". He couldn't believe that I not only didn't get jumped, but no one trashed my car...

CSB...
    By the looks of things, there has been quite the development in the area. The little alley littered with junk to get to the yard we parked the car in was probably not the best move, but honestly never really felt unsafe before or after the games, but looks like it has been lost to development. Most of the lots are gone now so I'd venture it requires going even deeper into the neighborhoods. Used to be a nice little deal parking at Manual Arts just south. That said I remember a buddy of mine noting that many in the area look out for students and people attending games, as SC has been a big employer for the neighborhood. Like when the riots were happening, SC was barely, if not touched at all. I assume the walls that surround the campus were also a deterrent.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    SC sells the beach but it's more like

• Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    Standard Supporter
    edited October 2023

Fishpo31 said:

In the 80's, I was working at a small school in SoCal, and our AD had been on John Robinson's staff at SC. He asked if I wanted tix when the Huskies came to town, and (duh) I said "Yes, please". My "date" (my boss) bailed at the last minute, so I went alone, to a night game at the Coliseum, driving a car with Washington plates.

On Monday, he asked "How was the game?" ("We" lost)...When I told him I went alone, he lost it, "If you didn't make it out of there, I would have lived with that for the rest of my life". He couldn't believe that I not only didn't get jumped, but no one trashed my car...

CSB...
    By the looks of things, there has been quite the development in the area. The little alley littered with junk to get to the yard we parked the car in was probably not the best move, but honestly never really felt unsafe before or after the games, but looks like it has been lost to development. Most of the lots are gone now so I'd venture it requires going even deeper into the neighborhoods. Used to be a nice little deal parking at Manual Arts just south. That said I remember a buddy of mine noting that many in the area look out for students and people attending games, as SC has been a big employer for the neighborhood. Like when the riots were happening, SC was barely, if not touched at all. I assume the walls that surround the campus were also a deterrent.
    Yeah, when I went to the Rose Bowl in 2019 I told my friend I wanted to venture out and see Los Angeles (I had never been). After doing the normal touristy stuff I asked to see the USC and UCLA campuses.

We took the Metro (yes, you read that right) through Westwood and then South Central. (I had no idea where USC campus was located.)

I didn’t feel unsafe either, but definitely a “not in Kansas anymore” moment as we went along the rail route.