Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

To play devil's advocate..

Now that the alcohol has worn off and the dooginess has subsided reality is sinking back in. Yes KDB did something that CP could never do - beat a ranked OOC opponent and rather easily at that. However on the flip side, CP never had the opportunity to play a beatable OOC ranked team like this MSU squad and definitely not at home. Thanks to our limpdick scheduling from the Sark/Woodward years, the best non-conf opponents that came to Husky Stadium during the CP era were fucking Fresno St and BYU. Saturday's game felt like the 2013 Boise game or the 2016 Stanford game where an over-ranked team came to town and the Vegas oddsmakers saw it coming a mile away.

Don't twist, I'm pumped about the win but there's still a lot to prove. Starting with avoiding a letdown this week against 'Furd.

Comments

• Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Auburn was winnable

Fair but that was basically a road game
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,108
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Sometimes when things go well anyone questioning something will be told to shut up and enjoy the win. But the problem areas still exist.

Case in point, in '21 Sparty had the nation's worst pass defense. Several B1G friends called it the worst they'd ever seen. (Obviously a lie; I poast here so no way I've got "several" friends)

But Sparty went 11-2 and #9 in country so it largely got brushed aside and...oh hey look - their pass defense is still super shitty.

Nice win for DeBoer and Co. Let's see if they can keep it up and build on it.
    Cheers--

The Michigan St fan sitting next to me said that there will be TDs in the game where Husky receivers are wide open down the field. Sure enough, Polk’s 3rd TD arrived and the fan next to me received affirmation.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,491
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2022
    At the game I will say Michigan State didn't look impressive. Their defensive front seven was strong and didn't miss tackles. The QB was pretty good and probably saved them from getting shut out by making plays. A couple big strong receivers who made nice jump ball plays,

The thing is, I think with college football now, every year there is going to 1-3 elite teams and then a bunch of teams that are similar that will sort each other out depending on schedule, QB, and luck. For example, 2021 Michigan who trucked UW but lost to Michigan State, I'm not sure was a special team but made the CFP.
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited September 2022

At the game I will say Michigan State didn't look impressive. Their defensive front seven was strong and didn't miss tackles. The QB was pretty good and probably saved them from getting shut out by making plays. A couple big strong receivers who made nice jump ball plays,

The thing is, I think with college football now, every year there is going to 1-3 elite teams and then a bunch of teams that are similar that will sort each other out depending on schedule, QB, and luck. For example, 2021 Michigan who trucked UW but lost to Michigan State, I'm not sure was a special team but made the CFP.

4th down bailed out Michigan State all game long. I wonder how many Pac 12 teams will decide to punt on 4th down after seeing that...

Edit: 7/16 on 3rd down. 4/6 on 4th down. equivalent of 11/16 on 3rd down + heart break.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Been ages since uw fans rushed the field after winning a game they were favored in.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sometimes when things go well anyone questioning something will be told to shut up and enjoy the win. But the problem areas still exist.

Case in point, in '21 Sparty had the nation's worst pass defense. Several B1G friends called it the worst they'd ever seen. (Obviously a lie; I poast here so no way I've got "several" friends)

But Sparty went 11-2 and #9 in country so it largely got brushed aside and...oh hey look - their pass defense is still super shitty.

Cheers--

"We beat w ranked team and here you bitching about the run game, the ticket scanners, and concessions. Fucking a boomers" - BTP
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756

Cheers--

"We beat w ranked team and here you bitching about the run game, the ticket scanners, and concessions. Fucking a boomers" - BTP
    Christ. Fuuuuuuck you. I’ve been a fan since 1968. Fucking doogs every god damn year since UWs been shitty write the same fucking post as you just did. (I knew sark would get us back after the USC win, I just didn’t think it would be so soon!) Yeah, and every fucking time some aspect of the game looks like fuck against a weak opponent some dickwad trots out the “limited playbook” excuse. JFC, they ran a god damn reverse flea flicker. They weren’t limiting shit. People couldn’t cover or tackle.

They did ok against a team they should bury. And they did on offense. Defense was fuck all and it had nothing to do with a fucking playbook. I’m read for UW to win a big game. Yes, it wasn’t really too long ago (Neuheisal) tthat was a feature of Husky football. Win big games. Of course I’m happy UW whooped KSU. But holy fuckall, at least get past sparty before you lay down a Tequila like doog rant. I hope we get there.

Yup,Pete had 15 games to show if he was a big time coach. He wasn’t. He lost every big game on the national stage then fucked us over when he left.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    LawDawg1 said:

Cheers--

Christ. Fuuuuuuck you. I’ve been a fan since 1968. Fucking doogs every god damn year since UWs been shitty write the same fucking post as you just did. (I knew sark would get us back after the USC win, I just didn’t think it would be so soon!) Yeah, and every fucking time some aspect of the game looks like fuck against a weak opponent some dickwad trots out the “limited playbook” excuse. JFC, they ran a god damn reverse flea flicker. They weren’t limiting shit. People couldn’t cover or tackle.

They did ok against a team they should bury. And they did on offense. Defense was fuck all and it had nothing to do with a fucking playbook. I’m read for UW to win a big game. Yes, it wasn’t really too long ago (Neuheisal) tthat was a feature of Husky football. Win big games. Of course I’m happy UW whooped KSU. But holy fuckall, at least get past sparty before you lay down a Tequila like doog rant. I hope we get there.

Yup,Pete had 15 games to show if he was a big time coach. He wasn’t. He lost every big game on the national stage then fucked us over when he left.
    Agree
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147

Cheers--

Good news for us! We can have a historically shitty secondary and still finish with a NY6 win!
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,491
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Now that the alcohol has worn off and the dooginess has subsided reality is sinking back in. Yes KDB did something that CP could never do - beat a ranked OOC opponent and rather easily at that. However on the flip side, CP never had the opportunity to play a beatable OOC ranked team like this MSU squad and definitely not at home. Thanks to our limpdick scheduling from the Sark/Woodward years, the best non-conf opponents that came to Husky Stadium during the CP era were fucking Fresno St and BYU. Saturday's game felt like the 2013 Boise game or the 2016 Stanford game where an over-ranked team came to town and the Vegas oddsmakers saw it coming a mile away.

Don't twist, I'm pumped about the win but there's still a lot to prove. Starting with avoiding a letdown this week against 'Furd.

By the Cult of TBS Metrics, we actually are a more "talented" team than MSU. Don't twist.

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

I think 2016, 2017 or 2018 Washington probably beat the same MSU team we just played at home. And I think it's fair to say that Pete never got this kind of winnable non con, home game.

ATBJBS, I think the early returns on DeBoner show that he might have been able to do better than Pete against Penn St, Auburn or Ohio St. You can't win in modern college football with out of date offense.
    Agree it's fair Pete just never got a marquee non-conference game like this at home. 2016 with their much better defense, especially Pass D, shreds that game like 52-7. 17 and 18 I think win comfortably, though their lack of passing offense could make it interesting. I think 2019 could have even won.

A lot of college football is timing though and taking care of business of what's in front of you and that's what Deboer and company did that Pete could never do on that stage outside of Stanford in 2016.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,892
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

By the Cult of TBS Metrics, we actually are a more "talented" team than MSU. Don't twist.

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

I think 2016, 2017 or 2018 Washington probably beat the same MSU team we just played at home. And I think it's fair to say that Pete never got this kind of winnable non con, home game.

ATBJBS, I think the early returns on DeBoner show that he might have been able to do better than Pete against Penn St, Auburn or Ohio St. You can't win in modern college football with out of date offense.
    Agree it's fair Pete just never got a marquee non-conference game like this at home. 2016 with their much better defense, especially Pass D, shreds that game like 52-7. 17 and 18 I think win comfortably, though their lack of passing offense could make it interesting. I think 2019 could have even won.

A lot of college football is timing though and taking care of business of what's in front of you and that's what Deboer and company did that Pete could never do on that stage outside of Stanford in 2016.
    Agree @WoolleyDoog .

It's way to early to say if DeBoer is going to be better than Pete (or even Rick) for that matter. Seems like so much of our success is dependent upon a generational QB talent not getting hurt.

But what I like most about the guy so far is that he seems to grasp the best defense is a good offense concept. Imagine Pete's defenses, if the other team got down by 21 points early on and were forced to throw the ball more.
    Yeah, totally agree. I hated the way they won games for the most part after 2016. I think 2016 was actually a lucky convergence of having John Ross from Sark and still around because he was injured in his career, the wise move of bringing on Tedford, Smith wanting to air it out before Pete reigned things in, and having a young offense teams had limited tape on until late in the season.

I always hated the Stanford style plan of ball control, short passes, relying on your defense and limiting mistakes, because even if you're super good at it, but you only score like 20 points, you're 2-3 lucky or stupid plays/injureis away from losing even if you are much better than the team you're playing. Most of the non-bowl losses of 2017-19 are basically that.
    See the 2018 Pac 12 Championship Game.

FYFMFE.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,206
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I was first and right. LIPO.
  • Options
    WhiskeyDawgWhiskeyDawg Member Posts: 406
    5 Awesomes Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    edited September 2022
  • Options
    no_uhno_uh Member Posts: 760
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited September 2022
    To play devil's advocate to the devil's advocate, the oddsmakers didn't think it would be that easy... I'll stop doogin' when Stanford steam rolls us or we lose a game we should've won/choke, whichever happens first.