Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Not sure I fit around here anymore...

HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,951
First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
edited December 2013 in Hardcore Husky Board
Think I'm the only one not real excited and dooging it up about the Peterson hire. The press conference made me feel a bit better, but its hard getting over the history of the previous 2 BSU coaches moving on and cratering at their next stop. Add to that he's basically admitted he was burned out at BSU and needed a change to get excited...hell even Seven Win Sark curb-stomped him...and now we just gave him $18 million and 5 years (6 if Pool Boy ever disappears) to feel very comfortable.

The chaos around his staff doesn't help my feeling either. He's going to have probably 3x or more the assistant salary pool to pay that he had @ BSU...am I the only one concerned he's going to bring most of this staff over? Anyone else think its a bit suspicious that they are all magically diamonds in the rough that are really worth 3x their current salaries? I could give a flip if he wants to keep Wilcox or Tosh or even Tui (think that one would be smart though)...I do give a flip if he thinks he can magically port over an entire assistant coaching staff from the MWC and suddenly and magically recruit and compete well in the Pac12. Add to that his now infatuation of chasing down a BSU QB commit when we have 3 young QBs on the roster already that were top 10 in their classes as we shed the few defensive recruits we have (and no OL recruits) and it doesn't add to my comfort level. And I hope to God everyone around here doesn't start dooging it up on saying our future 2* and 3* recruits are really better than everyone else's 4* recruits. Sure coaching is key, but coaching 4*s up is a hell of alot better than coaching 2*s up. Lets see it in action at this level instead of the MWC before we start throwing parades.

Just don't get why this doesn't scare people more.

Comments

• MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    This can't end up worse than Sark without costing Pool Boy his job. It's something that has to happen. Either way, it'll be interesting.
  • Be excited that the University showed it was serious about football. A precedent has been set in the form of a 3.5 Mil average salary. UW is back to being serious about football.
  • As for recruiting just remember that it's awfully cold for February.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    you're making an assumption that he won't be able to recruit 4* guys, if he proves he can't I'll agree with u
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    but I think he will
  • Promoting your own post feels a little cheesy and Doogmanish IMO. I agree with your post just saying.

This is the last place to worry about those not holding the coach accountable. We are all excited for Petersen but if he goes 7-6 or 8-5 we'll be on his ass.

Unlike those at Doogman we have no problem admitting we are wrong or questioning a coach that we had approved of for his flaws.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,264
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If you think Washington is the only school that would have paid Petersen and his assistants with bars of gold and bags of silver, you are dumber than this guy:

• TitusPulloTitusPullo Member Posts: 146
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    Recruiting always sucks in transition years, so I will not give a crap about the class until LOI Day.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,718
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Promoting your own post feels a little cheesy and Doogmanish IMO. I agree with your post just saying.

This is the last place to worry about those not holding the coach accountable. We are all excited for Petersen but if he goes 7-6 or 8-5 we'll be on his ass.

Unlike those at Doogman we have no problem admitting we are wrong or questioning a coach that we had approved of for his flaws.

I don't even know what that function specifically does.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,719
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Petersen was the best non-AQ coach over the past eight yrs. Unlike Hawkins, Boise CC beat real teams several times. There's some risk with almost any hire, but if we're honest, going after guys like Saban was a long shot. So Pete was probably the second or third best realistic shot. He seems eager to prove himself at a higher level, and just as importantly, he will bring some discipline and attention to detail back.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,718
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    by the way Hou, just because you might disagree with consensus opinion doesn't mean you're unwelcome here. I'm sure you must know that.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    I'm more concerned with the hardcore Shit. Unleashed. Belongs. crap
  • Promoting your own post feels a little cheesy and Doogmanish IMO. I agree with your post just saying.

I don't even know what that function specifically does.
    I don't either but that is equilavent to liking your own post on facebook. I would assume you would want to promote it since you wrote it. Just like I assume you like your own post or why else would you say it?(Unless you are IMALOSER/Factchecker/Irishdawg/Bronc4Blue/Your_Mom and don't believe anything you say).
  • One thing also is that if you look at the coaches who have worked for Petersen at Boise and moved on, the list is pretty impressive. I don't think you can just dismiss the guys he has working for him at Boise because it is Boise.

I think the guy has a pedigree. that gets him the benefit of the doubt. He still has to produce. I don't deify coaches. they are hired to do a job. They don't do it then I will be gnawing on their ass in my ever so humble way.
  • Haid_D_SalaamiHaid_D_Salaami Member Posts: 541
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Testing 1

Recruiting always sucks in transition years, so I will not give a crap about the class until LOI Day.

Your signature pic gives me a raging, camel sized hard-on under my traditional garment. You earn an "awesome" vote on every post until you change it. Allah be praised...
  • drogginsdroggins Member Posts: 804
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Did the other coaches have OKGs?
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

Think I'm the only one not real excited and dooging it up about the Peterson hire. The press conference made me feel a bit better, but its hard getting over the history of the previous 2 BSU coaches moving on and cratering at their next stop. Add to that he's basically admitted he was burned out at BSU and needed a change to get excited...hell even Seven Win Sark curb-stomped him...and now we just gave him $18 million and 5 years (6 if Pool Boy ever disappears) to feel very comfortable.

The chaos around his staff doesn't help my feeling either. He's going to have probably 3x or more the assistant salary pool to pay that he had @ BSU...am I the only one concerned he's going to bring most of this staff over? Anyone else think its a bit suspicious that they are all magically diamonds in the rough that are really worth 3x their current salaries? I could give a flip if he wants to keep Wilcox or Tosh or even Tui (think that one would be smart though)...I do give a flip if he thinks he can magically port over an entire assistant coaching staff from the MWC and suddenly and magically recruit and compete well in the Pac12. Add to that his now infatuation of chasing down a BSU QB commit when we have 3 young QBs on the roster already that were top 10 in their classes as we shed the few defensive recruits we have (and no OL recruits) and it doesn't add to my comfort level. And I hope to God everyone around here doesn't start dooging it up on saying our future 2* and 3* recruits are really better than everyone else's 4* recruits. Sure coaching is key, but coaching 4*s up is a hell of alot better than coaching 2*s up. Lets see it in action at this level instead of the MWC before we start throwing parades.

Just don't get why this doesn't scare people more.

I'm hesitant to be mean to you but I think most of your points are fucktarded.

Sark beat Peterson. Like Sark beat Carroll. A single game is meaningless.

The failure of Hawkins and Koetter has as much to do with Petersen as Urban Meyers success coming from Utah. It seems like it's more important because they're from the same school but really it's not. Think about it. If Hawkins had been a huge success at Colorado do you really think it would make Petersen more likely to succeed at UW?

As far as the assistants, do you actually know what coaches moving from smaller schools to big schools normally do? Do you know if bringing most of your coaches or hiring new assistants has been more successful? Because I don't.

As far the qb, you should take one every year. Petersen obviously likes that guy and he showed with Kellen Moore that he might have an eye for that. It's going to be pretty tough to get a highly rated QB this late in the game. If Miles and Lindquist end up transferring I think we'll be pretty happy UW took a QB with this class. Even if he's not as highly rated as those guys.

Petersen was a good hire. Maybe he'll fail. But any coach, short of Meyer, Saban, Carroll and Chip, might fail. And if he fails the people on this board will be the first to call for him to go.

I'm excited. I'm going to see what Petersen does on the field. Wins and losses are all that matters and that's all I'm going to worry about.
  • priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Petersen did a great job developing mediocre QBs and his teams executed. His WRs and TEs always made clutch catches. If BS had lesser athletic play from their QB position, they would have easily performed near Fresno State's level the past decade. Petersen is wise to get out of BS now tho, IMO - BS might be in trouble now, they do look weak this year. I think Petersen is probably is a +1 victory/year upgrade over Sark. I was concerned with the almost $4mil/year salary given to him...but it looks like the top 10 programs are going to start paying $5-10mil/year now...so maybe he's not that bad a price...and he'll possibly turn out to be a decent bargain in a few years...maybe the hire was good timing in a somewhat low-turnover year for HCs.

But he obviously has a lot to prove over the next 3 years -> Hawkins and Koetter.

I would like to see Wilcox stay. But Tosh is obviously a Sark mole.