Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Question for the Broad: New Redshirt Rules

The redshirt rules were updated so that players can play in 4 games and still count the year as a redshirt. This has two major impacts, specifically for true freshman and for players who have major injuries that would not qualify for a medical redshirt. The injury situation is pretty straightforward, but there is some strategy for how to maximize the benefit for the true freshman (game experience, having film) and how they can benefit the team.

You could either do it in one of two ways. Do you play the freshman in the 4 easiest games that are blowouts and there is no risk in losing the game (North Dakota, BYU, Oregon State, Wazzu)? This strategy has the least amount of risk and is probably the ideal situation. But we don't always live in an ideal world, so do you wait until the middle/end of the season in case there are injuries to starters and you need to sprinkle in freshman for depth? Had this rule been in place in 2014, we would have seen Greg Gaines in 2014, as he was 2nd string DT before the Hawaii game but ended up redshirting so we could use him in 2018 (thank God for that). This strategy carries much more risk but it addresses a gap should injuries play a factor, especially when you have a highly talented true freshman that may perform better than 2nd or 3rd team.

Which leads to another factor to consider, is that redshirt freshman and sophomores also struggle to find playing time, even when we have blowouts. For example, when looking at DL, Scrempos, Rice, and Sterk played in 3, 3, and 0 games respectively in 2017. Is part of the new redshirt strategy to prioritize mop-up duty to highly talented freshman over others?

Question time: what do you think is the best way to maximize the new redshirting rule or how do you hope Petersen and staff use it in 2018?

Comments

• KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I know you can have 85 schollys but how many can you suit up as active for each gayme?
  • BreadBread Member Posts: 3,969
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    You know, I think there still needs to be a little bit of strategy behind this. Because, you know... you only get 4 games. You use em all early, is that the best thing? And what if you get an injury at the QB position late, and now this guy really has to do something and you only used him in 4 games, he can still redshirt. We are still trying to figure out the best thing. And we won't know until we see how ready a guy is to play. There is going to be some freshman that we are like he is playing. Were not worried about 4 games, this guys going. And there will be other guys, where well say this guy is definitely going to redshirt. But this can change when we go deep into the season with injuries and different things. The guy continues to develop. Hey, let's get this guy in the game, you know. It's not going to cost him any. And it's o nice. I wish we had 5 years of elogibility.. I really wish, i dont know why we are doing 4 games.. whatever... But that does help. Cause I've been in a situation. In a bowl where its like: we either gonna put a true freshman over their at corner, with one more injury. Or I'm gonna put a running back over there, who has never ever lined up on defense to cover this guy. And obviously I was gonna put the running back over there rather then burn a kids year. I've been in that situation where it almost came to that. So if we get to that situation where some kid you are planning on redshirting super late in the season. You know you dont have to waste his year for one game.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited July 2018
    salemcoog said:

I know you can have 85 schollys but how many can you suit up as active for each gayme?

It used to be 60 for the home team and 55 could travel back when football was tuff!

Today I believe you can dress as many as you want but only 80 can play and you can only travel 70.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,466
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2018
    All variables considered, you play the player that gives you the best chance to win.

It's like if Locker played after Stanback went down.That team makes a bowl game.

Let's say you intend to play a physical/athletic player early but they struggle mightily with the mental side you can back track and no harm no foul.

Or you can play them the rest of the year and play them only 4 the next if they don't get it or get passed up by a phenom.

It's a pretty awesome rule. It's like playing with house money. It will help develop while simultaneously expedite the sold couches of players beyond their depth
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,705
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Mosster47 said:

salemcoog said:

It used to be 60 for the home team and 55 could travel back when football was tuff!

Today I believe you can dress as many as you want but only 80 can play and you can only travel 70.
    When was that? Scholarships were unlimited until 1972 when the limit was set at 105 and then it was 95 until the 90s.

I thought the quooks always complained that DJ was only successful because he coukd take so many players and nobody was left for the ducks.
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,513
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I think you break it into 3 tiers;

True Freshmen who aren't ready physically. These are your guys who in years past would immediately put the RS on upon stepping on campus. Play them in your 4 easiest games (assuming you get up big in each of them) just to give them some garbage time experience.

True Freshmen who may be ready, but due to the depth chart may not see much action. I would play these guys in 1-2 of the easy OOC games for some seasoning to see how they do, then hold on to their last 2-3 games for the later part of the season (when injuries start to add up). That way they can play a couple games in November when depth is needed, without burning their RS.

True Freshmen who are ready to contribute; Play them in every game, as you did in year's past.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited July 2018
    ntxduck said:

True Freshmen who aren't ready physically. These are your guys who in years past would immediately put the RS on upon stepping on campus. Play them in your 4 easiest games (assuming you get up big in each of them) just to give them some garbage time experience.

True Freshmen who may be ready, but due to the depth chart may not see much action. I would play these guys in 1-2 of the easy OOC games for some seasoning to see how they do, then hold on to their last 2-3 games for the later part of the season (when injuries start to add up). That way they can play a couple games in November when depth is needed, without burning their RS.

True Freshmen who are ready to contribute; Play them in every game, as you did in year's past.

You would only play true freshman who are ready to play if they’re in the two deeps.

Outside of that it wastes a year of eligibility. And newsflash to all dawgman subscribers, a minority of people who play as true freshmen go to the draft early.

One of the reasons why, in the past, frosh outside of the two deeps played a lot was because you didn’t want to waste a season.
  • CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    So they could conceivably play in the PAC 12 Championship gayme and the Bowel gayme and still redshirt?

Throw in ND State and the Cuog - there ya go!

House money, bitches!!
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited July 2018

ntxduck said:

You would only play true freshman who are ready to play if they’re in the two deeps.

Outside of that it wastes a year of eligibility. And newsflash to all dawgman subscribers, a minority of people who play as true freshmen go to the draft early.

One of the reasons why, in the past, frosh outside of the two deeps played a lot was because you didn’t want to waste a season.
    Welp you won’t burn their eligibility unless they play in too many games. But I strongly agree that you don’t play guys who you know would redshirt under the old rules. You use it as a reward system for guys,that show out in practice consistently, in the laughers and give them some run. You have a full house of Pete recruits now and each player has a long term plan. If you’re using it to suddenly Sr guys, then you have a problem considering they are all Pete’s. But I don’t see that happening even with BBK. For teams with new coaches, it’s a Godsend however.