Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Pre-season formation prediction

AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,959
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
Several years ago, I thought Peterson would install the double TE formation and demo Pac-12 defensive edges. It far exceeded my expectations.

Since then, the only prediction on Offense we all wanted to make was improved QB play. TBD.

This preseason, the formation I think we’re going to see with devestating effect is: 2 TE, 2 RB, 1 WR... frankly, I think we’re going to see a ton of 2 RB featuring Gaskin/Ahmed with Chico rotating. Both backs catch the ball great out of the backfield, both can run (obvious). The run packages are obvious.

The defensive matchup problems are impossible especially with 2 TE. Defenses have to stay in base packages or run-heavy packages. Gaskin and Ahmed will exploit LBs in coverage. If you motion Ahmed wide (we know Pete loves motion), you now have a deep threat the S has to respect with TY or Fuller or Andre B on the other side opening up the flat/middle for TE or worse Gaskin leaking out.

Gonna be sweet.

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I like where you are going with the idea and it's the problem defenses have with our 2 TE sets.

If you don't drop 8 into the box, our 7 will run on your 7 with consistency.

If you drop 8 into the box, then you are leaving at least one side of the field subject to not having safety coverage over the top. IF that side of the field is where Ty Jones is, then if you have a QB willing to throw more 50/50 sideline and back shoulder throws to him to go win, that's a massive mismatch against most CBs. Then you also obviously have speed options as well.

I'm not CRAZY about having Gaskin and Ahmed in the backfield at the same time too often but could see some decent packages with it. Where I do like them being on the field at the same time is where you can use one of them to be more of a "hey hey look over here" type of misdirection/distraction … see the toss pitch to Gaskin with fake reverse action to Ahmed that we ran against Oregon.
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,097
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Do you see us using the fullback (Pleasant/Warren) more often, as Belichick did this past season?
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Do you see us using the fullback (Pleasant/Warren) more often, as Belichick did this past season?

I predict Warren will actually be pretty good and we will like him.
    Yep. Pleasant too.
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,097
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

I predict Warren will actually be pretty good and we will like him.
    Me too. Dissly-esque move.
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,959
    Founders Club

I do. The strength of our team is in our power formations and play action passing. The reason I think Gaskin/Ahmed paired together with Chico and hopefully Pleasant rotating is so important is that pass catching ability. To have two game breakers running the ball with pass catching abilities is sick. I love Warren in that H-back role. Power power power.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Warren may play when we go big time power ... but I’m not sacrificing our 2 TE formations to get Warren on the field on a regular basis
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

We’ll probably see more Pistol, with Warren lined up next to browning in a fullback position (think KSTATE and their formation). I’m really excited to see that look, it works well for the schemes we run.

This formation, but with the tailback directly behind the QB, and Warren would be in a three point stance.

Did you see this in the spring? I don't recall us using this much, if ever, last year.
  • Options
    ExtraChrisBExtraChrisB Member Posts: 1,810
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    AEB said:

I do. The strength of our team is in our power formations and play action passing. The reason I think Gaskin/Ahmed paired together with Chico and hopefully Pleasant rotating is so important is that pass catching ability. To have two game breakers running the ball with pass catching abilities is sick. I love Warren in that H-back role. Power power power.
    Bush had Tevin Coleman and Devontae Freeman in Atlanta so there should be some crossover there in terms of using Gaskin and Ahmed together.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

We’ll probably see more Pistol, with Warren lined up next to browning in a fullback position (think KSTATE and their formation). I’m really excited to see that look, it works well for the schemes we run.

This formation, but with the tailback directly behind the QB, and Warren would be in a three point stance.

I would really like to see us use this formation, but with some mods.

1) RB1 is Warren, Kizer or Otton
    2) Slot is Sample
    3) Z is Salvon
    4) X is Ty Jones
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    What in the fuck is a pre-season
  • Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam

I would really like to see us use this formation, but with some mods.

1) RB1 is @CFetters_Nacho_Lover OR @CheersWestDawg
    2) Slot is Sample
    3) Z is Salvon
    4) X is Ty Jones
    If it drives, flies, floats, or fucks...don’t buy - rent.